Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Pain

Hi,
    I'm new here but I'm so glad I found the forum! I had surgery at the end of May (2007) for my scoliosis. Everything went well but now I have the same shoulder pain that I was having before the surgery. My doctor and nurses say it should go away in time but it hasn't yet. The pain is like a burning sensation to the left of the base of my neck. I play the piano and when I practice it really starts to hurt. Does anyone have this type of pain? Any suggestions on how I could get some relief would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Megan
    17 years old
    Surgery May 22nd 2007
    John 3:16

Hi Megan-
    I have no advice but wanted to say that My Son, Cole, also has had shoulder pain since his fusion w/hdw surgery on July 24th. We saw the Dr last wk but we both forgot to mention the shoulder pain as he doesnt have it all the time. He doesnt like to do things like wash his own hair yet as he says that causes the shoulder pain but lately i dont hear him complain as much about it as he did the first wks after surgery.

How long ago did you have surgery? Cole also has pain on the left lower side but the Dr said all xrays look good and nothing wrong so he cant explain that pain. So I am sure he wouldnt be able to explain the shoulder pain much either and I just think alot of it is just due to the fact that he had major surgery and all areas around the spine will be affected.

Good luck in finding some relief. Oh Cole uses gel ice packs alot for uncomfortableness and pain, have you tried that? Sometimes they are not even ice cold, he just like the cushiony gel feeling.
    STacey

Comment

oops me again, I just noticed you said surgery was end of May. Do you have it real often or just on and off? I think it may take many months to completely heal up from such invasive surgery. Did you have fusion. Hmmm hope that wasnt already answered on original post either-my memory sucks. LOL! Oh Cole takes tylenol for pain and uncomfortableness, do you try anything like that to help? Or maybe try some before you play piano or do something that you know uses the shoulders so that the pain is not so bad or is there at all. good luck again
      Stacey

Comment

Hi Stacy,
        It's funny you mention the gel ice packs. I use one too! I find it very refreshing to lay on top of it. (I always hope it doesn't bust! ) I have the shoulder pain off and on all day. It's not unbearable but just the fact that it's there so much really gets tiring. I did have fusion surgery. I'm not sure exactly what was fused. I think they went down to L3 but I'm not sure where they started (maybe I should find that out )

Thanks for your encouragement!
        Megan
        17 years old
        Surgery May 22nd 2007
        John 3:16

Comment

Hey, I have shoulder pain on and off but I havent had my surgery yet. Mine just appears when I am lying on my shoulder or sitting up against it. It isnt unbearable but it sure is annoying. I find to get rid of it I just put on a heating pad or get my mom to give my a massage. I know this sounds kinda weird but if you get someone to put one of those massagers where it's sore the pain gets milder.
          I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
          3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
          Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

Working...
          X