No announcement yet.

Nicole's Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the feeling, it is such an emotionally and physically draining period of time, both before and after the surgery. But, such a relief to finally get back to the normal routine - I'm sure Nicole will be tired out this week, though. And, I'm with you on the vacation to the nice warm beach, with the strawberry dacquiri!!! I just said to my husband last week, I'm ready for a vacation after getting through all of this. I'd like to hop on that plane tomorrow, if even for just a few days.

Thanks to you, too, for all of your stories, even though you were a little behind us in the process, it helped me to read of your trials with everything we were so closely experiencing.

Comment

Has it already been 6 weeks? The time seemed to fly, from my perspective anyways. So she's done 1/2 weeks for 1 or 2 weeks? My daughter is also on a block schedule, 1/2 of her classes on A day, 1/2 on B day. It makes it a little more complicated to split the days. If Sheena's doing as well as Nicole and some of these other kids, she may be able to go back full days since she won't be going back until 7 weeks post op due to the holidays.

Enjoy your day!

Comment

It hasn't been 6 weeks yet. A few more days yet. I want to stay close to home in case I need to pick her up. I think it was good to start off with half days. Sometimes she went in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. Basically, we tried to get her to her most important classes.

Sherie, I think your daughter is having it at a really good time. Hopefully she won't miss too much.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

I'm very happy to hear Nicole is getting back to her routine and what is normal for her. I hope she makes it all day today. She will be exhausted. Maybe a nap after school is a good idea. Take it all one step at a time still. She's still in a major recovery mode, even if she feels very good. Gotta take care of herself and be careful.

I totally understand your need for a vacation from the emotional and physical stress of this parenting thing. Braydon has been battling an infection in his leg for several weeks now (original surgery was 7 weeks ago) and I'm just plain exhausted. I don't remember feeling this physically wiped out, even with a newborn in the house. The emotional stress wasn't there like it is now. I'm hoping the Infectious Disease people will give him a good report tomorrow, and that we can finally stop the IV antibiotics a week sooner than planned. The meds are not fun. HE is exhausted and can't get going very well. He has also lost quite a bit of bone mass in his leg/tibia. He needs to get to be weight bearing again so he can build up the bone mass again. Vicious circle of problems, but we're on the right end of it, I hope.

Didn't mean to ramble there... I hope Nicole continues to do great. You are doing great. It's nice to have a place to share feelings and know other parents and families can actually understand how you feel. Take care!
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Carmell,

I am so sorry to hear about Brayden's infection. I am thinking about all of you today and hoping for some good news for him. I didn't realize he and Nicole were so close in age. Only one grade apart.
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Carmell

So sorry to hear about your son's troubles. I hope he recovers soon, it must be very stressful to be this far out from surgery and still having difficulties.

My son had his 3rd eye surgery for strabismus this year, all looked great right after surgery, but his eye is starting to move again. It's worrisome that he may always have issues with his eyes.

Comment

Melissa:
                It is wonderful how quickly Nicole has got back on her feet and back to school. I am so glad for you. It must be a tremendous relief. Hope all went well on the first full day back at school.
                Ruth
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Thanks, she is home and it was a good day. Remember, each day is different with different lunches and such. So she still doesn't know who is in each of her lunches. Crazy schedule. High school will be normal. Anyway, she is happy and today was fine. She is not too tired and is watching t.v and eating ice cream. As long as she has friends in her lunches then she will be happy. You remember being 13. Anyway, she wore her brand new long jeans and she looks like any other teen, except she has great posture.
                  Melissa

Comment

Working...
                  X