Cobb Angle Measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S4Sarah View Post
    [COLOR="Purple"] ....then I took a pic of my computer screen since I could not save the image to my laptop using the software
    a useful trick I learned is to use the "printscreen" key. This copies whatever image is on your computer screen to your "clipboard". You can then open any picture editing software (like microsoft photo editor which comes w/most computers) and paste it as a new image. You can also crop out other private information.

I have asked my parents about Spinecor, my Dad likes the idea of chiropractics, but my Mom doesn't.
    There is a lot of mixed opinions on the Spinecor. My daughter liked the idea of a soft brace but she found it very uncomfortable. But, she never wore a Boston brace so she really is not in a position to compare.

The picture you attached looked a lot bigger than 26 degrees.
    You have a better eye than one of my daughters former doctors.

Comment

I'm sorry CD, that's just not right that that happened to you. I think you're right, the spine field really is a minefield.

Comment

Thanks Ballet Mom. yeah, it is disturbing. I'm glad I discovered it before I had her wear the brace for long. I would have been furious had I discoved it after she wore the brace for 6 months. Probably furious enough to take legal action. Now I am just ticked and happy I discovered it when I did. (And I probably wouldnt have even looked if not for the folks here who got me thinking about it)

I encourage EVERYONE trying the SpineCor to get their kids inbrace xrays confirmed by an independent qualified doctor. Maybe I am the only one with what I perceive to be a significant discrepancy. I truly hope that is the case.
        Last edited by concerned dad; 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
          Thanks Ballet Mom. yeah, it is disturbing. I'm glad I discovered it before I had her wear the brace for long. I would have been furious had I discoved it after she wore the brace for 6 months. Probably furious enough to take legal action. Now I am just ticked and happy I discovered it when I did. (And I probably wouldnt have even looked if not for the folks here who got me thinking about it)

I encourage EVERYONE trying the SpineCor to get their kids inbrace xrays confirmed by an independent qualified doctor. Maybe I am the only one with what I perceive to be a significant discrepancy. I truly hope that is the case.
          CD ...

We don't agree on everything (or at some times ... much at all).

THIS is a point upon we do. For some reason you can bring it up and it's accepted (nevermind I was a braced kid ... and still think a brace is a brace is brace - until I see otherwise).

I also hope the best for those who seek new/alt treatments ... but read the negative as well as the positive.

My kids are older ... although my daughter has a non-progressing lumbar curve (has since ±10 yrs old). It's relatively small (from her films, I gather <30°, but causes her significant pain).

Use your mind, your web search ... and your experts.

Best to all.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

What the heck, I might as well throw this one up there too.
            Anyone see a way that this could be measured as 26 degrees?

No way!

And, by the way, to what does the 143 degrees refer?
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree, especially about the issue of detecting a change rather than an absolute number.

But I have run into an issue with the inaccuracies of the Cobb measurement. I disagree with one of my daughters (former) doctors about the measurements of her inbrace Cobb. His response is both; 1. it is not uncommon to have different measurements from different people and 2. he picked different vertebrae than myself. (well, there is 3 too: he has a lot more experience than myself)

Using this new ALDT method may reduce the error in (1) above and negate the error in (2) above.

What I don’t understand about the xray process is the effect of the distance between the source of the xrays, the subject, and the film.

Is it like a flashlight, where the beam broadens as the distance increases, ie, one single point source of xrays?
              Or,
              Is it a uniform source of xrays such that distance measurements are valid?
              The official distance set by the Spinal Deformity Study Group is 72".
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Pam,

Use your mind, your web search ... and your experts.
                Great advice. I am very happy with the treatment regime given to my daughter by the orthopedic surgeons we have seen. If they had given in to my internet research and the marketing that goes along with it, my daughter would be in much worse shape. I am happy these very intelligent surgeons are around trying to help people.

Comment

What the heck, I might as well throw this one up there too.
                  Anyone see a way that this could be measured as 26 degrees?

CD, I just saw this alleged 26° x-ray. Compare it to my ±53° one listed in my sig. My POST-op is <20° for your reference (same set of progression films) ...

I think I'm not telling you anything you don't know .

Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

I am guessing CD's experience is no isolated incident.

Surgeons, at least some and maybe most, dismiss the Spinecor literature for a reason.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                    X