Seeking MD (Indiana region) with Boston and Providence experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking MD (Indiana region) with Boston and Providence experience

Hello, everyone. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was 8 (curves of 25T/20L caught by her pediatrician) and has been braced since 9 with TLSO. She is tall and very slender – no Marfan’s or other problems, just JIS. She now has her 3rd brace (due to growth). She doesn’t like them (who does?), but has adapted and has worn them maybe 18 hours a day in school (14 hours a day over the summer) and is active when not in her brace. After 3 years, her curves are not holding and are now 35/30. Our pediatric orthopedist says even though TLSO isn’t holding her curves, we should continue as is. Providence may be an option, but he does not use Providence and he does not know of any orthotist (in Indiana) with Providence experience. And he says that even if the TLSO brace is not holding her curves, the brace may still be helping reduce the rate of progression. So, we are going to stick with TLSO, but insist on 4 mo in-brace x-rays (the doctor wants out-of-brace x-rays, but if we know her curves are not holding, seems better to take x-rays of direct use to the orthotist...). At the same time, I want to find a doctor (hopefully in the Indianapolis area, but anyone in the greater Midwest would be valuable) with experience in both TLSO and Providence who can advise us fairly. I will switch to Providence if we can gain some confidence that it will provide a better outcome than TLSO and help us avoid surgery, but I hesitate to put her through yet another learning curve with a new brace system without confidence it will be better. Any help or comments anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Dad,

I would recommend either the Shriners Hospital in Chicago or the one in St. Louis. Both are among the best in the Shriners Hospital System. In Chicago, I'd ask to see Dr. Sturm, the chief of staff, who specializes in scoliosis. In St. Louis, Drs. Lenke and Bridwell are the top spine guys. You can't go wrong with any of these doctors who are all well-known in the field, all with excellent reputations.

Best of luck,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
    X