Won't wear brace to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Renee,

Maria is correct, bracing does not help the rib hump. In fact Lorena did not even have a rib hump prior to bracing; after wearing her brace for about a week or so it drove me absolutely crazy that she looked worst than before.

The rib hump is from the rotation of the spine not the curve.

I am surprised that it wasn't corrected during surgery.

Unfortunately one of the reasons bracing is not as successful is because kiddos don't comply 100% I understand it is difficult but so neccessary.

Like Laura mentioned earlier we opted for stapling.

Amanda
    Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
    Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
    Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
    Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
    26 Degree Post Op Curve
    Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
    YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Hi Amanda,

There is usually only about 50% correction on the rotation. In the 6 mo. span between scheduling and surgery the curves not only increased 11 deg. on thoracic/9 deg. lumbar but that is when the rotation & rib hump got really bad. Had we done the surgery in 7/05 when he was 49T/44L the rotation correction would have been better, but Joe was still Risser 0.

It was surprising to us and the dr. because right after surgery everything looked great, it was only after all the swelling went down and the body settled that the rib hump became apparent again.

I've not read or researched much on the stapling, do they need to be replaced as the child grows? Will this help to avoid spinal fusion altogether? I am interested because I will be taking my 9 y.o. to the ped. for a scoli check sometime soon.

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee,

As long as your son is healthy a minor cosmetic rib hump is the least of your worries.

Stapling is essentially an internal brace that does offer the possibility of some correction (no guarantees) but if all goes well and the staples hold the curve it is very possible to avoid spinal fusion all together. This procedure is still considered "experimental" although the Doctors @ Shriners in Philly have been doing it for 6 almost 7 years. It's a great alternative (IMHO) to traditional hard braces that have to be worn for years on end.

No, the staples do not need to be replaced as the child grows. If there are no issues they just stay in.

There have been 2 children who have over corrrected and as of June 07 one of them had had the staples removed and they were waiting until just the perfect moment to remove the other childs staples.

My daughter was stapled when her curve was 42*, she was in a milwaukee brace for 6 months prior to surgery (the brace was working) she is now 1 year post op and her curve is down to 23*.

Does your 9 year old have scoliosis as well? How old was Joe when he was diagnosed? Did you have fusion also?

Amanda
        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
        26 Degree Post Op Curve
        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Thanks for all the further imput everyone.
          I haven't been on line for a while as we have all been down with a tummy bug and stress (the stress being me!)
          They don't offer the stapling here in Australia - not many choices I'm afraid. I'm putting the whole thing in God's hands now and let him lead us down the right path.
          I don't have the strength at the moment to force anyone to do anything and am just riding things out at the moment until our next appointment towards the end of September. So many things are falling apart at the moment and I'm putting bandaides on everything to try and hold the family together. Having a terrible time with a usually sweet 16 year old who is making my life hell on earth on the moment.
          Elysia has been out of the brace for 4 days - I couldn't force it on her while she was down with the tummy bug and sick as ever! She's back at school today and back to her brace, although only the 16 hours but I'm happy with that until we see Dr next month.
          Okay - I'm going to go visit the depression.com forum now - LOL!

Love to all - I will cheer up eventually!
          Del
          Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
          Sydney - Australia
          Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
          Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
          Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
          L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Hi Amanda,

I've not had surgery although it was recommended at age 18 when it was obvious bracing failed. It has never bothered me until the last couple of years. I want and need to be checked, but hubby is self-employed, we pay our own medical insurance (which doesn't cover dental or vision) so financially it is difficult and I feel I have to put the kids needs above my own.

I discovered Joe's scoli a couple of months after he turned 10 (I think 1st x-ray showed 18T/11L). With my 9 y.o., it looks to me like he's developing scoli. When he bends over I can see asymetry in both the right thoracic & left lumbar. At Joe's 1 yr. post-op I had the ortho surgeon take a look at his back. He also noted slight unevenness and suggested follow-up with pediatrician within 6-9 mos. He just went through a growth spurt and it looks to me like the unevenness is increasing a bit more.

Renee

Comment

hello,

I know exacly what your daughter is going through, and it must be frustrating as a mother. I used to wear a brace, and i hated it. It is so difficult to wear at school, other people dont really understand. It so hard when your young, and it was difficult beaucse i couldnt tuck in my shirt, which i was always called up about by teacher and i had to explain the whole situation. I didnt wear my brace properly, and ive just had the operation. First you have to find out the reason for not wanting to wear it to school. It most propbly due to other people seeing it or knowing about it. Explain to her thats its her own choice, but that like me if she dosnt wear it, she may end up with the surgery. Which isnt a nice thing to go through. And after that she will probly need to wear another brace for 6 months, whcih she will have to keep on all the time. Make sure that you tell her when shes older she probly wont know half the people shes a school with now, and if she dosnt wear it properly now then she may regret it. Its either wear the brace now, or have the operation and a brace after. Hope this helps x
              XxX..SaRaH..XxX

Comment

Working...
              X