Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pseudo hernia?

Hi all,

I went to my first post-op check-up today with Dr. Tribus and my curve went from 55 degrees to 19 degrees! Woo hoo. He said he is a little concerned about the pain I'm experiencing in my left leg and hip (along with numbness) and he might want to adjust a screw, but it is too early to tell. We will wait and see how that is doing.

Anyway, he also said I have a pseudo-hernia on the left side of my stomach. I noticed a bulge about a week ago and got concerned. I know that incisional hernias are more common with anterior approaches and my surgery was posterior.

Has anyone had this and do you know what to do or how long it takes to go away?

Thanks,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Hi Anya...

I've never heard about this. If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Last Fall I noticed a bulge just above and to the left of my belly button...no where near my incisions. I thought it might be a hernia, but when I had my gall bladder removed this past April, the surgeon looked at it from inside and said that it wasn't a hernia but instead of the muscles being held together tightly (like if you interlocked your fingers), they were splayed apart a bit. He left it alone and said it wasn't worth repairing. I have no idea what caused it, and it seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Comment

I have a bulge above the scar I got from an appendectomy I had when I was 15. I've only had the bulge since my back surgery. I also had anterior surgery, but more on my side (same side.) I don't know what this is yet. It seems to involve my intestine because it is bigger when I'm constipated. It makes my stomach look very lopsided. I plan to ask my surgeon about it.

Brynn

Comment

Brynn...

What you are describing may be an incisional hernia. You may want to do a search here for other discussions on the topic. Anya's is unusual in that it did not involve an anterior incision.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, Linda. I'll pursue this with Dr. Akbarnia. I am dismayed to find out that this may be permanent!

Brynn

Comment

Working...
            X