Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole is home from fusion/hdw surgery!

Hi
    Just wanted to let ya all know we got to come home yesterday, 5 days after the surgery. The surgery itself took only 5 hrs as they thought could be 7 hrs long. He was off the vent by the time he got to ICU after surgery and had some oxygen then off that quickly too. Spent two days in ICU tho cuold have went to the floor after one day but no rooms were available. Then spent two days in regular room so 5 days total in Hospital. He was in a bit more pain last nite as only had pain med (oxycodone) and no morphine or valium like in Hosp plus first few days he had pain ball (OnQ) that was attached to site giving continuos numbing med to it. Today seems like it is going a bit better.

The PT had him walk Fri and Sat and I had him walk a little with my help of course today but mostly in bed and sleeping on and off. He uses ice packs for the pain also. He got two new rods (this is his 10th surgery). I havent seen xrays yet so am anxiious to see them as they say that his back looks so good, Drs are very happy with results. Luckily we have a wheelchair and walker from halo surgery when he was 5 yrs old so have used it (wheelchair) to move to bathroom and room to room. PT said that he could use but not get dependant on. I know he wont as he is one determined kid. He amazed us when he had a halo on and ended up learning to walk without even using the walker after awhile so I know he will again. Hoping each day gets better with pain.

Oh also I noticed today when he walked that his left hip was sticking out to the side (it did not do this prior) so I will watch to make sure he eventually stands straighter. He cant really stand fully upright yet so hoping it is just adjusting. I read some other posts and seems other kids had some posture issues after surgery too. We return in one wk to Dr so will discuss with them if need be too. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Thanks
    Stacey
    Mom to Cole, 13 yrs old
    California
    Last edited by mom2cole; 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM.

Hi Stacey,

Alexander's surgery was 2 1/2 weeks ago & his posture is still not great. His shoulders are rounded & lean forward & one is still higher than the other. He doesn't swing his arms equally when he walks either. I am trying not to worry about all of this but it is hard not to.

Other than the posture issue though, his recovery continues to go well. He's been totally off the narcotic pain meds for several days now. He only takes tylenol once or twice a day & sleeps through the night. We had gotten a Rx for ativan but he only needed one - on the 1st night home. Did Cole get anything like that for muscle spasms or other really bad pain? Reading this forum helped me know that I had to make sure to ask the doctors for all the Rx pain meds Alexander could possibly need after we returned home from the hospital. I knew they were giving him ativan in the hospital when it got really bad so I asked for some to take home as well. It sounds like since you've been through this (so many times ) before, you know what to give Cole for his pain. I really hope he feels better soon & continues to gain strength daily. I hope Cole never needs another surgery! I have to stop myself from worrying that Alexander's posture issues don't mean that he'll need another surgery either.
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

yay!

Mom2cole- that is great ..only 5 days. I am so glad that it seems to have gone well. Dr. Skaggs told me about that medicine that goes direct to the site. So, it seems to have done the trick, huh? We are preparing ourselves for next weeks ...experience. My Emma is so excited. She knows that she is having surgery and that they are putting rods in. She doesn't know that it will be real painful. I told her today what (i think) will happen. She will go to the hospital be put in a gown, be given an IV, go to sleep, have surgery and then wake up and I will be there. THat she will be uncomfortable. But I dont want to freak her out about the pain.

I responded to your private message. It would be great to see you on Thursday. Cole was on my heart today so I said a few prayers for him. Hope hes still doing better.

Talk to you soon!

Joanne

Comment

I really think there should be a "Make a Wish" granting organization for parents such as yourself that have been on this scoliosis journey for so long! You really deserve some kind of recognition for being an advocate for your child. I sometimes read the Veptr site and I know the struggles these rib children and parents face. It's not an easy road! I wish you and Cole only the best as you embark on your new adventures in life. Worry and anxiety should never a constant as there are so many emotions to experience. I hope Joy prevails!

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
        X