5 days post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 days post op

Hey everyone! I'm not a super big poster on this forum but have read a lot of the recent and pasts posts. I just wanted to give you guys an update. My surgery was on Friday (6/29) and I came back from the hospital yesterday. Everything went super well and once I got my pain under control, everything has been great. I had super low blood pressure after the surgery and over all they had to give me 5 units of blood. Because of the low pressure, i couldn't take my epidural (it lowers it even more). Once they got some hydromorphone on a PCA it was better. Sat night was the worst night (pain meds weren't complete under control until Sunday) and the constipation has been really bad (3 enemas later I'm still not 'right'). but other than that I've been really good.

I'm wearing a tlso brace except when I sleep and also wearing an electromagnetic bone growth stimulator for 4 hrs a day.

I'm up, walking around (with a sweet walker- minus the tennisballs) sleeping fairly soundly and not in huge amounts of pain (minus the gas/constipation). By reading all the posts here I was probably more scared of the surgery than I should have been. The part that surprised me the most was the face swelling!! I came out of surgery and my mom thought I was having an allergic reaction because my face was so swollen you could barely see my nose. I had a cuts from the tape where my face had swollen around the taped area and cut the skin and I have two bruises on my chin and forhead. The doctor told my mom it's only because the surgery was 8 hours (T3-L4) and I spent that entire time on my face. makes it swell. HAHA.

well, I have lots more to tell, but all in all I'm doing really well. I'm going to rest now but will write more later. Also, feel free to ask me anything as the surgery and hospital stay is still really fresh in my head

Byebye!
    Sonia
    58*
    Surgery 6/29/07
    T3-L4

way to go, Soonersonia!

I had to have blood transfusions too, but it sure did help- your body sure goes through a lot on that operating table, huh? God bless and keep us up with your recovery- You've got a great attitude ! that is 75% of your success....Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Welcome home SoonerSonia! I know you will continue to progress rapidly. I happy to hear that you are doing so well!

Comment

Welcome home! The worst part is behind you.

All the best,
        Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was released from the hospital 5 days after my fusion....
          I had to go back the next day becuase I couldn't keep food down.
          I thought I was constipated.....the docs thought the same thing.
          Turned out my whole digestive system had actually shut down becuase of too much pain meds
          So after that.....no more pain meds for me!

Comment

Yogurt will get your stomach back on track.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Sooner,

Congratulations on how you are doing right now!!! You have a great attitude and that helps!!!

My husband took pictures of me after my posterior surgery and everyone says it doesn't even look like me.

The swelling goes down, keep your spirits up!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
              X