Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Image - Upcoming Event

Hi...

Thought some of you would be interested in an upcoming event in Washington DC:

Please join us on Saturday, June 12, 2004
    for the exhibition’s opening reception, and a public program:

“Images of the Less-Than-Perfect Body”
    1:00 - 3:30 p.m.

co-sponsored by the National Coalition Against Censorship
    and in conjunction with VSA arts’ 2004 International Festival

Opening Reception
    3:30 - 5:00 p.m.

National Museum of Health and Medicine

6900 Georgia Ave. NW at Elder St., Building 54
    on the campus of Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Washington, DC 20307
    202-782-2200
    open daily 10:00 am to 5:30 pm • admission and parking free

You can read more at:

http://www.lauraferguson.net/NMHM.June12program.html

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I wanted to post a reply to your message relating to body image. This sounds like a wonderful event, especially since scoliosis impacts so many young girls at an age when self image is so vital.

Recently, Oprah featured a "dreams come true" show with a Knoxville, TN teen that was awarded a modeling contract in New York. She was 15 years old and had already overcome two surgeries for scoliosis correction. I thought that show sent a wonderful message to teens with adversities to overcome. Scars and surgeries don't establish the beauty of a person! The modeling agency was also commended for providing an opportunity for the girl. These impacts do not have to result in an inability to achieve goals. They only make us appreciate succeeding.

As a 25 year old woman who has also overcome two surgeries during various stages in my life, I found this event and the show inspiring.

Comment

Working...
    X