Thread: 4 weeks post op

4 weeks post op

Hi Everyone,

It has been 4 weeks and a day since my surgery. I am still so tired I am just starting to sit for more than a few minutes at a time yesterday. I can walk around the block twice a day, but I am constantly exausted. I lay on my back at least 22 hours a day if not 23. Does this sound normal. I'm taking 15mg. Morphine 2times a day, 1 or 2 5mg. Valium a day and 1 or 2 Percocet a day. My pain is under control but i'm so tired. Any sugestions???
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

You're probably anemic. Take some iron - Floradix helps the body build iron again and isn't constipating. Eat iron-rich foods, anything cooked in a cast iron skillet, beans/legumes, whole grains, broccoli.
    Action Jackson - no brace is going to slow me down!
    Diagnosed with a 70 degree thoracic curve 6/6/07
    MRI on 6/14/07 - comes back clean on 6/15/07
    Brace arrived on 6/20/07
    1st Cast applied by Dr. Mehta 8/1/07 at 70
    Yielded no results, back up to 70 out of cast.
    2nd Cast improved down to 40s, 3rd got us into the 30s, as did cast #4.
    At 20 months, in cast 5, correction isn't being achieved.

I agree with jacksmom

how soon until you get your blood checked? sounds like you're run down and need more nutrition. Thank God your pain is under control, though.... Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Also, and this is just a thought, valium can knock you for a loop. It will put me out cold.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Patty- When I was 4 weeks post op I was exhausted too-I think that is so normal! It takes time for your energy to come back. I was on my back most of the time too at that point. Don't worry about it- just eat as well as you can, take your walks, and get rest.
    Cathie

Hi Patti,

Although it is great to walk, walk, walk after this surgery, I think rest is important too. I personally had a very hard time finding a comfortable position for any lenght of time, whether it was sitting, or laying.

As long as you get up and walk every once in a while, I think it's great that you are comfortable while at rest.

Let your body heal in it own way, and don't compare yourself to anyone else.

Just my opinion,
    Shari

Exclamation

One dose of valium lasts 3 days before totally metabolized-- which means it accumulates in the body over time. This can cause fatigue and depression.

That being said, maybe because of my age, it was months before my back stopped being tired.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction