Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

back from pre-op with Dr. Boachie, getting ready for surgery on June 13 - long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back from pre-op with Dr. Boachie, getting ready for surgery on June 13 - long post

Dear All-

I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I should post an update.

My daughter is scheduled for a fusion surgery for kyphosis on June 13th with Dr. Boachie at HSS. We just came back from our pre-op consult. Pre-op went great - the pediatrician (Dr. Perlman), pulmonologist (Dr. Dimaio), and other staff who work with Dr. Boachie were terrific. They conducted thorough exams of my daughter, and answered all of our questions in great detail and with patience. In fact, they answered all my questions (that I had written down beforehand) before I asked them.

I was a bit surprised to find out that my daughter had slightly lowerd chest function. Her kyphosis is in her lower lumbar, so I hadn't really thought that it would affect her pulmonary function. The pulmonologist thinks that it's possible that she may have been nursing a cold at the time of the test, so she has asked us to repeat the pulmonary function test in a year.

Dr. Boachie is planning on fusing L1 through L-4. He, too, was wonderful in explaining everything to us patiently. He is going to use titanium hardware, and will use the bone chips from her kyphotic 'bump' for the fusion. If it turns out to be insufficient, he will harvest some from her hip.

My daughter is totally calm about the whole thing, and the staff tells me that it's going to hold her in good stead.

Thank you everyone for guiding us along this far, and please keep my daughter in your prayers.

Sam
    Last edited by sam_newyork; 06-09-2007, 11:32 AM.

Hi Sam- All my best to you & your daughter. She & you will be in my thoughts & prayers this week. I believe you were staying close by... Ly

Comment

the 13th is very soon. goood luckk !
      i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

yup.. the 13th is verrryyyy soon! good luck on ur operation and i wish you a very safe recovery
        My name is Rotem
        I am 13 and in 7th grade
        Started with 2 curves:
        34º Therotical
        50º Lumber
        I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
        Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
        and im still trying to get used to it
        Hoping I won't need surgery
        I live in South Florida
        3rd check on November 17,2007,
        Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
        30º Theoratical
        37º Lumber
        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Sam,

I wish your daughter and you the best for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery. You know she is in good hands - I will be thinking of you both on the 13th.

Renee

Comment

Hi Sam,

My son Patrick is just 3 1/2 weeks post op. He too was so calm before hand, even going into the surgery and very keen to put this all behind him.
            We both wish you a speedy recovery and will be thinking of you on the 13th.
            All the best!!

Ramona
            mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
            diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
            also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
            fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi Ramona:

I did read about Patrick (I think I put a small post on a thread related to him), and was hugely energized by his news. I am glad to hear that he is doing well, and ready to put it all behind him.

Everyone-

Thank you for the good wishes. I will pass them on to my daughter. Everyone's support means a great deal to us.

Best,

Sam

Comment

All the best for your daughter. You have very good doctors and her fusion is shorter than many others, so she should be fine. We'll pray for you and your daughter.
                Erin

15 yo Son, James, T4-L4 surgery on 5/31/2007
                from T50s & L57 to T19 & L18

Comment

Yes, good luck to your daughter, Sam. I wish you all the best for a very successful surgery. I'll be sending well wishes your way on the 13th.

Comment

Sending best wishes to Sam and your daughter this week. Gentle hugs to you both. The anxiety seems to be taking over at this point, I'm sure, but you will do great. We'll be anxious to hear how things go.
                    Carmell
                    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Good luck with your daughter's surgery & recovery. I hope everything goes really well & she is feeling better soon.
                      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                      X