Fusion to the sacrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion to the sacrum

I just got confirmation from Eric, one of Dr. Shelokov's PAs, that they will now have to fuse from T2 or T3 to the sacrum (based on the discogram). Bummer as I was hoping to preserve some flexibility. Oh well, I guess it isn't the worst news they could have given me...

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

I am fused to the sacrum. (T5 to Sacrum). I'm 7 weeks post op and am curious what exact flexibility I will have less of, than say... to be fused to L4 or L5. I won't ever know, and my surgeon said I will adapt, but also said it was not that different than being fused to L5. Just curious if anyone knows. (in my case, my L5 was still in good shape, but as you get older and have a large fusion above it, he said I would for sure have to face surgery again in a couple of years)
    But...I'm still wondering IF you have that much more flexibility with only one vertebra left unfused???
    Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Berta & Ann,
      I'm fused to L-5 from T-11. I believe I was down for T-2 to sacrum originally but by pre-op I was told it would hopefully be just the lower half if all went well...which it did..
      I dread the thought of more surgery down the road. I don't think I even want to ask that question to my surgeon at next visit!
      I notice the loss of flexibility mainly as I garden since I can't bend like I used to. Luckily my arms are long so I can get along by kneeling & working that way for a bit...somewhat rough on the knees, though. All in all it's not a big deal.......Ly

Comment

I am also fused to L5 and there is a slight curving pelvis movement that can be done at the tailbone, but not a lot. Sometimes I will hear a loud "crack" when it moves or feel a twinge there, so I don't "try" to bend it if I don't have to.

I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference if it was to the sacrum, just increased stiffness at the tailbone; you get adjusted to it, like anything.

Deb
        age 48
        surgery 7/24/06
        T5-L5
        for s curve T72, L77
        50% correction
        DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

I'm T-1 or T-3 to L-5, I think it's T-1, but from the begining my doctor told me the odds of me having to have another surgery 5 to 10 years down the road with L-5 to sacrum would be necessary. He also explained to me that that area would be taking alot of the stress, because it was not fused.

He told me that having that done would feel like minor surgery comapred to my previous one. And I can deal with that. When and if the time comes.

I am 2 years post op, and I am now so amazed at the things I can do. This past weekend I layed 50 patio blocks, of course I hurt like hell for 2 days afterwards, I was hitting some golf balls with no problem.

I guess I just stay aware of the stress factor on the L-5 to sacrum area. I know that possibility will be down the road for me, but I try to adjust how I do things to keep that area safe, if that makes any sense???

Shari

Comment

If a surgeon feels that extending the fusion from L5 to the sacrum is inevitable at some point, why not just fuse to the sacrum initially and spare the patient additional surgery? Is it because involving the sacrum presents its own set of problems such as a much higher rate of pseudoarthrosis?

Chris

Comment

Chris:

I found that debate in the scholarly literature discussed by the scoliosis surgeons. It's an individual decision. They are more apt to hold off in younger patients; in older patients the disc might be too far gone.

Lynne:

You will have much more flexibility around the hips in time when everything heals.

I personally could not care less right now about being fused to the sacrum; I have a perfectly normal, pain free life and am as grateful as can be. I do just about everything I want.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Ann,

Listen to those that have been fused to the sacrum. Karen has always had great input here. If she says she's doing fine then I trust that. And it gives me great comfort in knowing that, in case I ever have to undergo that procedure.

But again that plays into the that fact that you have to trust your doctor, because they all seem to have different approaches to this surgery.

Again I repeat that my doctor choose such a long fusion for me because, he said, that I would eventually have to have the thorasic part done, again because of the extra stress the area would be under, and he felt that doing it all in one shot, even though it would be a rough recovery, that I wouldn't have to have another painful surgery down the road.

He showed me an xray of someone that had the problem when the L-5 and the sacrum had seperated, and it seemed almost minor to what I had gone through.

Bottom line is you have to trust your surgeon, and I trusted mine!!!

It's taken me some time, but I can't really say I regret what I have had done!!!

And after hearing what Karen has had to say, I'm not afraid of the small correction that I may need in the future.

Shari

Comment

I am fused to the sacrum and for me, it just feels tight in that area. Obviously, you can't bend at the waist but you shouldn't do that anyway. I can't really twist at the waist, either. When you're thrust into an unfamiliar situation, you just learn to adapt.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you all!

My thanks to everyone who repiled (please keep posting if you want as I will keep reading). Your input is great. I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for what it will feel like / be like post-surgery in order to try and avoid the depression that can happen when you "realize" how much you have changed. Thanks again.

Ann
                    44 year old female
                    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                    Posterior Only, 9 hours
                    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

T6- to Sacrum

My surgeon wants to go to the sacrum as well and I am doing the same thing, trying to envision how it will be after as far as the flexability goes. He said I may be able to touch my toes depending on the muscles in the backs of my thighs, but also said that twisting won't be possible. To get out of the pain I am in it will be worth it but you do wonder.
                      My surgery just got bumped a second time, and now won't be until Sept.
                      Thank you to everyone for sharing...all of your feedback really helps.
                      Carol
                      CarolS
                      68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                      Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                      Osteotomy March 20,2008
                      Thrilled with results!

Comment

Originally posted by Houston Curves
                        I just got confirmation from Eric, one of Dr. Shelokov's PAs, that they will now have to fuse from T2 or T3 to the sacrum (based on the discogram). Bummer as I was hoping to preserve some flexibility. Oh well, I guess it isn't the worst news they could have given me...

Ann
                        hello ,I am 5 month post op now ,fused from T7 to S1, (and not from T4 anouced)and i feel much better than before ..the pain left is really just muscular.I was really afraid before about having sacrum fused thinking i would be more handicaped instead of doing less things ,i do more .

Comment

Well, I'm 2 months post op and feeling a little better everyday, even though it's so slow. I think that no matter where we are fused to, as far as lumbar, L4 or L5 or Sacrum, we have to accept our changes, limitations, and new forever body and spinal posture, etc. I was really flexible in my lower spine before, but my curves were progressing rapidly, so my choice was clear: end up with a walker or wheel chair, OR have a whole new body that would be straight, but with lots of new limitations. I just always remind myself how much pain I was in daily and I take a look at my "before" photo of my back and then look at my "after". That really helps me to accept!

Now.... I will just be excited when I can reach my feet, sitting down and crossing one leg over the other! (to cut my toenails, shave my legs....) And what exercises will I be able to do besides walk!? I used to do pilates and yoga.... and now it seems like most of those postures will be impossible. So what will I do for a limbering, stretching or aerobic type exercise!?

And.....when will it be comfy to recline, in a chair or car or plane? I have to sit really straight up on the edge of a chair to feel ok and even that's for 15 or 20 minutes before it feels I have to stand up. So far I last just a few minutes in a reclining position. (that's probably the fusion to the sacrum difference from fusion to L4 or L5?) Anyone have that problem? (relaxing in a reclining position?)
                          Berta in Hawaii

Comment

My first trip to the beauty shop after my surgery was not fun. Reclining in that little chair to have my hair washed was uncomfortable.... and then i had to sit there for a few minutes "stuck" when i raised up...before i could stand to move to the styling chair. Now however, it doesn't bother me.

Now about the only flexibility that i am aware of losing is bending sideways while sitting to pick something up from the floor beside my chair. Just can't do that anymore at all...

Oh... nor can i vacuum.... I mean... I CAN vacuum, but then in a couple of hours i'm reallllllllly regretting it because of the pain in my upper back. So i'm holding out for a riding vacuum

Comment

20 minutes sitting is the maximum in a "normal " chair ,but if i 'm on a higher chair ,or bar stall a little longer aslong as it has a cushion.reclining and cuddling up as before is not at all confortable any more ,so i don't even try
                              i 'have been told that i should never anymore by able to cut my toe nails so thats that ,i need someone to helps for that well why not!

Comment

Working...
                              X