Update on Berta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Berta

I just spoke to Billy (Her husband) and he filled me in on How Berta is doing. Her surgery went as planned and the Dr. was able to get a better correction then he had thought! YEA! They will probably get her out of bed tomorrow. I KNOW all of you remember the first time you stood up and realised how much straighter you were. It is an awesome moment. Billy was very pleased so many of you have kept her in your thoughts and prayers. We are so fortunate to have each other here. I will keep you posted. Keep on sending her positive thoughts. Billy needs some as well, he just came down with a cold.

Thanks Suzy! That's good to know. Do keep us up to date on her progress...
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Suzy,

Let her know we are all thinking about her if you can!!!

Shari

Comment

Great to know Berta is doing well, I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts and hope her recovery is without complications.

Patty
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Thanks for the update, Suzy. I'm so happy for Berta, especially getting better correction! Good wishes to her hubby also...those are some long hours waiting for your loved one to come out of surgery.

Renee

Comment

thks for the update suzy/I will be in touch w/ you soon!
            So much good luck to berta...know she has anticipated this for some time...all my best to her & family..........Ly

Comment

That's great news! Thanks for keeping us posted, Suzy!
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I hope Berta has a quick recovery and enjoys her new straighter self.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Me again,

I couldn't wait any longer to find out how Berta is doing so I called Billy again. I sure hope he doesn't think I am a bother........ It's been 4 days!
                  The Dr. told Billy he was able to get 50% correction and that she might be discharged Fri. That is 2 days sooner then they were told initially! She is definitely taller and walking with a walker. So it appears she is doing well. Billy is still battling his cold so we need to keep him in our thoughts as well. He told Berta we are all thinking of her and wishing her a quick recovery.

Comment

Wonderful news. Please let her know that she is in my thoughts. Keep up the good recovery Berta!

Best,
                    Anya
                    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Suzy,

I was also curious as to how she was doing. A 50 % correction sounds great, do you know what her original curves were and were they stiff???

I'll continue to keep wishing her well...

Patty
                      Patty 51 years old
                      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                      Posterior T3- L4
                      Pre surgery curves
                      T-53degrees
                      L-38degrees
                      and a severe side shift to the right.
                      Post surgery curves
                      Less than 10 degrees
                      Surgery April, 2006
                      C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Patty,

I checked back in my e-mails and Berta was 50+ thoracic and 70+ lumbar. Her Dr. was not going to fuse above T10 last I heard but Berta wanted to get rid of her rotation and thought she could talk him in to 1 or 2 more above that. We will see what was done when I actually talk to her later. She looked VERY flexable to me. We tested each other. I am betting they got more then 50% correction. I don't know if she had films taken post-op yet and if they were measured. Time will tell. I do know she was a bit shorter then Billy when I met them and he said now they are almost eye to eye. I know she will be so pleased to have gotten back some of her height.

Comment

Glad tohear she is doing so well post-surgery. Continued good wishes to her and her hubby.

Renee

Comment

Working...
                          X