new ~n~ confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ~n~ confused

Hey I'm new here and I am 11 almost 12. I just found out I have scoliosis. I need a boston brace on April 20th at 10:00am. What should I expect? All of my teachers know about getting my brace. My best friend Bethany is helping comfort me. I am getting a yellow, orange, and red tye-dyed brace. If you could help me thanks!!! My worst curve is a 38 degree curve by my hips. I have a S shape curve it goes 8, 20, then 38.

scoliosisat12
    Jodi Lynn
    Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
    Surgery June 30th (age 14)
    Now 16 and as happy as ever
    *Brace Yourself*

hey! first off, sorry about your diagnosis... I know it's really scary, but I promise you'll make it through ok Getting a brace can be really annoying, but the thing that I wish people had told me when I got mine was that yes, it will hurt, but only for the first few weeks. Then you'll get used to it! So don't worry if it's hurting at the beginning, ok? I promise it'll get a lot better. Another good thing to know is that sleeping with a brace can be frustrating, but try sleeping on your back... that was what worked best for me. If you have any specific questions at all once you get it, just ask! I'd love to answer your questions (I got my brace on my 13th birthday) and I know that alot of other people on here would love to help you out. Good luck with it and remember that it'll all get better, k?

Rachel

Comment

i went through the same thing you are.

ok.. tips for you. =)

yes ;; it will hurt. it`ll be hard to breathe at first and you`ll end up screaming and crying a lot. =/ for my first week i wore it on the line its suppoosed to be for an hour then loose for the night. i know the whole idea sounds scary but trust me, after a while you forget your even wearing it. this probaly sounds impossible to you but its the truth. also, the good things is that you can purpously drop stuff for people to pick it up for you. i play drums in the band and i play on my brace. =) also, it protects you from getting tickled by friends or punched by someone. =) i like having people tie my shoes for me too. hehe. its so funn. also i stick pencils in the airholes on it. =) also, clothes.... i buy a size bigger in everything now. and at first your gonna be so worried about people knowing but for the people who dont know i make up stories about how i got in a fight with a lion or something AND THEY BELIVE IT.

...its a hard challenge to overcome and it changes your life completly but in the end.. its better than having metal rods in your back. =/ =)

i hope this helped!

-heathhhh.<3
      i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

You kids really bring tears to my eyes

You are all lucky to have a place like this to meet and talk. When I was three I got my first brace and I wore the milwaukee until I was 17. Now I am 49 and I am back in a brace because my spine got really bad. Wear your braces and do what your doctors say so you won't have to deal with the brace like me at my age. You all sound so intelligent talking together here! You make me cry with your honesty and straight-forward info. If adults could read your posts and take lessons from you, I think this world would be a better place.

Comment

omg

oh my gosh! i can't believe you got your first brace when you were 3 !!!!! and your still wearing one!
          Last edited by scoliosisat12; 03-29-2007, 07:06 PM. Reason: dislike
          Jodi Lynn
          *Brace Yourself*

Comment

Hi,

I first wanted to make the comment that rachel and heather are right on the money. My brace hurt for the first few weeks also, but it eventually gets to the point where it is more comfortable to have it on than to not have it on, especially at night. I want to stress the importance of back streches and strengthening because my back got really weak and I started to have pain when I wasn't in the brace. The pain is now gone and my back is a little stronger since I have been out of my brace for 15 months. I started yoga 2 months ago and I now do it everyday. I highly recommend it for all people with scoliosis. I have to warn you that the first day you get your brace, it will hurt the most. At least that was my experience. The car ride home after getting my brace was about 40 minutes and I had to take it off after 20 because I was crying it hurt so bad. My back wasn't used to something pushing on it. For the first (maybe 2 weeks) I couldn't sleep with it on the whole night and half way through I would take it off. I think I also losened the straps at night and learned to sleep on my back, which was realy different because I always used to sleep on my stomach. Does anyone else with scoliosis on this site sleep or used to sleep on their stomach?

Hope this is comforting info, good luck
            April
            April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
            Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
            Now 18 years old
            Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Comment

thanks to all who responded
              Jodi Lynn
              *Brace Yourself*

Comment

The best advice I can give you is to listen to your doctor & wear your brace when you're supposed to. I got my first Milwaukee brace when I was 5, & I remember being a little freaked out because I had a harder time breathing. It does put pressure on you but it's more of a discomfort than pain. However I got used to it quickly & although it limits your mobility you can still do a lot. Eventually it gets to the point where you feel weird without your brace.
                Good luck with everything! :]

Comment

Originally posted by aprilshowers
                  Hi,

I first wanted to make the comment that rachel and heather are right on the money. My brace hurt for the first few weeks also, but it eventually gets to the point where it is more comfortable to have it on than to not have it on, especially at night. I want to stress the importance of back streches and strengthening because my back got really weak and I started to have pain when I wasn't in the brace. The pain is now gone and my back is a little stronger since I have been out of my brace for 15 months. I started yoga 2 months ago and I now do it everyday. I highly recommend it for all people with scoliosis. I have to warn you that the first day you get your brace, it will hurt the most. At least that was my experience. The car ride home after getting my brace was about 40 minutes and I had to take it off after 20 because I was crying it hurt so bad. My back wasn't used to something pushing on it. For the first (maybe 2 weeks) I couldn't sleep with it on the whole night and half way through I would take it off. I think I also losened the straps at night and learned to sleep on my back, which was realy different because I always used to sleep on my stomach. Does anyone else with scoliosis on this site sleep or used to sleep on their stomach?

Hope this is comforting info, good luck
                  April
                  Hi! i used to sleep on my sides and on my stomach! i always had back pain even befor i got my back brace! i also have to sleep with my back brace but lucky for me that's the only time i have to wear it! but it's difficult learning to sllep on my back. i sometimes get to sleep alittle on my sides. i too sometimes cannot sleep the whole night through with the back brace! i always wake up with soo much pain! and i want to cry cuz i'm so tired but i can't sleep cuz of the brace. i also loosin my straps and every night i'm tightning them alittle. i always have to have the fan on cuz i get so hot. but sometimes it doesn't work! i'm alittle ok at night but then during the day i have back pain pretty much all day! what should i do?
                  Hey i'm Nicole,
                  i'm 16, i like to write stories
                  and poems.
                  I never come on here so...
                  peace

Comment

=o

Originally posted by debigolebiwski
                    You are all lucky to have a place like this to meet and talk. When I was three I got my first brace and I wore the milwaukee until I was 17. Now I am 49 and I am back in a brace because my spine got really bad. Wear your braces and do what your doctors say so you won't have to deal with the brace like me at my age. You all sound so intelligent talking together here! You make me cry with your honesty and straight-forward info. If adults could read your posts and take lessons from you, I think this world would be a better place.

awwww. how sweet. :] and yes i do agree the world could be a better place. and omg since you were three? =O a milwaukee that whole time?

at least your hanging in there.
                    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

hi!

I just wanted to say I'm here for you if u need it. you have support from all of us here and if you ever feel bad about ur scoliosis or anything to do with it we'll be here for you. come on here if u need help.
                      I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

Working...
                      X