Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 years with scoliosis

Hi,
    I have had scoliosis for more than 42 years. I have never had any kind of surgery. At 12 I had sped to equal 45 degree curves. Doctors wanted to do surgery then wear a brace. We declined as I was very athletic and active in many things. Sure there was some pain but I found with my sports and very often chiropractic I hardly noticed. I lived an exceptional life growing up and could do more things than most children. I learned to deal with it and 90% of the time no one knew at all. At age 17 I was a professional model for JC Pennys. My greatest help was having my father and husband learn chiropractics and I learned how to make self adjustments using different mediums for instant relief. Dancing, racketball, springboard diving, etc were times when I had vertually no pain at all. I have 5 children 6 grand children. I have had 3 children with scoliosis but found that with alot of sports, dancing etc, chiropractics, and using and electric ten's unit on their back during the night actually straightened their curves. Through the years my curves have increased but I am soooo very glad I never had those surgeries in the past. I may need to do something now with two 68degree curves. But I have had the freedom to do whatever I wanted. But you have to learn to endure and accomodate.
    The most successful thing was the electrodes or tens unit we used by placing the pads on the opposite side of the curve on the top and on the bottom. If only one curve we still balanced that on the bottom to strengthen the muscles. We found this out in a research many years ago. It does great. No surgery and if there is a curve left, it is so very slight. You may want to consider it. Just something to think about. Another alternative if surgery is too much to handle like it was for me.
    Showtime

Originally posted by Showtime
    The most successful thing was the electrodes or tens unit we used by placing the pads on the opposite side of the curve on the top and on the bottom. If only one curve we still balanced that on the bottom to strengthen the muscles. We found this out in a research many years ago. It does great. No surgery and if there is a curve left, it is so very slight. You may want to consider it. Just something to think about. Another alternative if surgery is too much to handle like it was for me.
    Showtime
    In a very large controlled study published in 1995, electrical stimulation worked (to stop significant progression) in 33% of subjects, slightly less than no treatment at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,
      What is a moderator? Using electrical stimulation worked wonderful for my children but I feel it was in conjunction with other things. Stimulation alone I would not know how to address the success rate of that. I do know we watched for it and kept a close eye on it for as long as they lived at home or in college. Now married with children my children are doing well. This was a break through when we heard about using this medium.
      showtime

Comment

Showtime....

Moderators are usually individuals who keep forums on subject, etc.

I'm glad your kids managed to keep their curves small. That doesn't, however, mean that electrical stimulation actually worked for them. They had an equal chance of having no progression, even if you hadn't done anything for them. So, perhaps it worked, or perhaps they were among the 33% of kids whose curves weren't meant to progress.

What we do know is that it didn't work 2/3 of the time.

I'm sure that many medical professionals thought it was a breakthrough. However, in long-term follow up studies, it just didn't cut it.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Stopping scoliosis with alternatives???

Originally posted by Showtime
          Hi,
          I have had scoliosis for more than 42 years. I have never had any kind of surgery. At 12 I had sped to equal 45 degree curves. . I may need to do something now with two 68degree curves. Showtime
          The experience of the scoliosis community, as well as good research has shown that curves in adults can increase 1-3 degrees a year. Sadly, they do not stop progressing on their own. So in 10 years, no matter what exercises or chiro you employ it is not impossible that your curves could reach 90 degrees.
          Statistically, curves which are 40 -50 deg or above at skeletal maturity tend to increase in adulthood.

If you scan the various posts of our many adults who tried all manner of alternatives to stop progression you will find many ended up needing surgery.

There is ongoing research suggesting that there is a genetic component which determines whose curves tend to increase or tend to not increase and stay small.

I was an unlucky one; despite chiro, being very active, climbing trees, doing ballet,swimming, good nourishment and strong bones my small curve at age 11 ended up at 100 degrees at age 13. The early surgery I had in 1956 saved my life. Yes, I had a successful revision 4 years ago at age 60.
          My mother's curve has progressed her whole life. She is 90 and really twisted.
          My girl cousin's curve is giving her trouble.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X