No announcement yet.

spine-cor vs. Boston brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to ask Dr. Rivard if I would benefit from spinecor. I have kyphosis. I manage pain thru Chiropractor and do not expect a correction. I would like pain releif. Right now I must see my chiro every 3 weeks or else my muscles start to spasm. I will continue but would not mind trying something else to see it it would help.
    Christine
    from CT, USA
    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

In other words, her bones are still immature and flexible even if the outside of her is mature and probably done growing. The million dollar question is which aspect is more important in determining whether nor not she will progress. The fact that she is still at a 0 with curves over 40 or the fact that she is past her major growth spurt, mature on the outside and probably done growing.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Potential for growth, potential being the key word.

Christine,

There is a boy who lives near me who has kyphosis and is in the Spinecor brace with Dr. Rivard. Of course he is a young teen and is still growing so that is a different situation than with you. Just wanted you to know that Dr. Rivard was treating his kyphosis with a spinecor/
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Yes,

I understand that. My point is that people think when someone is at a 0 risser it means they have lots of growth left. Dr. Rivard said you can be at a 0 and be done growing. When we went to Shriner's to inquire about stapling, as soon as Dr. D'Andrea heard that Nicole just got her period, she said she is not a candidate. She didn't care that she was at a 0. She knew her major growth spurt was behind her. In our family, that means only an inch or two left.
          Melissa

Comment

Melissa,
            My daughter’s case it’s similar to yours; When she was diagnosed, she was Risser 0, although she was more than a year post menarche. Our ortho, (Well our orthos) told us, that Risser 0 doesn’t mean than you are going to grow up a lot, only that is it possible to grow up until you reach Risser 5. In fact, since the diagnostic, more than two years ago, she has grown only a little, around four cm (1,5 inch??). and she is still between Risser two and three, more than three years pots menarche.
            I think she has her growth spurt, the summer I realized something was wrong with her back; She grew several cms. in only two months, and it should be then when her spine curved. I suppose it was a little curved before that, but I didn’t realize it, and at the end of the summer it was so evident.....Well, I’m rambling…

Braceguy,
            I think that spìnecor works better with thoracic and dorsolumbar curves, and when the curve starts in a very low vertebra, it’s more difficult to have a correction with this type of brace. I’d like to know what’s your opinion based in your experience
            2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
            Treatment: Cheneau brace
            2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Ailea,

Yes,

It sounds like our girls are so similar in that way. Thanks for confirming what I thought. Nicole will most likely be the same way, only an inch or two more after the major growth spurt. Please remind me of her age, curves, and time in the brace.

Braceguy,

Why did you say, "Excuse Me?"
              Melissa

Comment

oh I love Steve Martin and I remember when that phrase was really popular. I know, I am dating myself!!
                Melissa

Comment

Melissa,
                  My daughter is 15 years old now, and she was diagnosed with 38ºL and 19ºTcurves (Sept 2004). She wore the spinecor since few weeks after that, until last spring. She is now wearing a hard brace.
                  We’re still waiting for that Risser 5, so we could overcome this step;
                  On the other hand, due to the degrees of her mayor curve when she was diagnosed, in the borderline, our ortho has advised her to continue wearing the brace part time, perhaps only at night, for several months or years after she reaches the skeletal maturity.
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Ailea,

Now I remember. There are so many kids to keep track of. What are her curves now? Where do you live?

Dr. Rivard sometimes keeps girls in braces until they are 16.

Nicole has developed a bad irritation to the thigh bands, especially one on leg. All that sweating at dance sometimes really irritates that area. Any suggestions. For those who do the mole skin, how do you wash the brace with that on?

What type of cream would be best on it?
                    Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

We use the skin of a mole and remove it prior to washing the thigh bands/crotch straps and then once the pieces are dry, we apply new moleskin. I've read of people using biking shorts, but I'm not too sure about the logistics of that. If Deirdre gets a sore on her leg from the thigh bands, I apply a bandage and it heals within a day.

Last edited by Celia; 03-01-2007, 07:30 AM.

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Thanks, Celia.

this time it looked really bad. I agree about the shorts. Don't understand it. I will do those things for her today when she gets home. Now that she wears a strap under her arm, that area is getting red and sensitive as well.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

Quick post
                          We had an excellent visit in Montreal!! Her curve is down to 5 degrees!! We are all tired, I will elaborate very soon.
                          Christine
                          from CT, USA
                          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Christine,

I am sharing in your joy!!! How awesome for all of you.
                            Seems like the younger the child, the better the correction. Also, the smaller the curve, obviously. I can't imagine what it would feel like to get news like that. Kind of like winning the lottery!! Here's to continued success in the Spinecor!!
                            Melissa

Comment

Wow!

Christine, what excellent news!

Sarah

Comment

Christine,

I am very happy for you. I am glad that the brace is working. We have an appointment in July and I can't wait to see what's going on with my son's back.
                                Adriana
                                Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                                Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

Working...
                                X