spine-cor vs. Boston brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spine-cor vs. Boston brace

I'm interested in getting information about the spine-cor brace vs. the boston brace.

My daughter is about to turn 14yo. She has been going to orthopedists since she was 6yo and her curves have progressed very slowly. When she had her major growth spurt from 11.5yo-12yo, her curves actually improved. But at her last 6mo followup visit, her curves progressed more than they had over the several years before. Now her curves are 18 degrees (upper) and 26 degrees (lower).

The doctor is recommending a Boston brace. I would like to get information on how the Spine-Cor brace and the Boston brace compare. I know the Spine-Cor brace would be a lot more comfortable to wear, but is it as effective?

I tried looking through the thread below that ran for 99 pages, but after about 20 pages, I gave up. I never found where results were given.

No doctors in my area do the Spine-Cor brace, but the website says that there is a doctor about 4 hours away who does and I'm willing to travel there.

Angie,

Welcome. You didn't say where you were from. But I recommend that if you have questions about the Spinecor, you call the orthopedics in Montreal directly. They invented the brace and there are not many orthopedics in the U.S. who know enough about it to prescribe it. You didn't say whether you live in the U.S.
    You can read about my daughter in my signature. We chose the Spinecor over the hard brace because we didn't want our daughter in the hard brace because of its restrictions and negative side effects.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you will get more responses.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I'm in Texas.

The orthopedist that we went to sounded fairly ambivalent about the Boston brace. My daughter is already at Risser stage 3. She's already had most of her growth and is 1.5" taller than I am (but I have scoliosis as well and was told that I would be 4" taller if I had surgery).

My daughter really surprised me when she said that she definitely wanted to try a brace when the doctor suggested it. She wants to be tall. Tall isn't really going to happen (lots of short people on both sides of the family), but she is 5'3" already and the doctor said that she still has some growth left.

The amount of change over this past 6 months was just surprising. My dd has seen an orthopedist every 6 months since she was 6yo and she never progressed more than 1 or 2 degrees between visits and sometimes there wasn't any progression at all. When she had her biggest growth spurt, her curves actually corrected a bit. She grew just 1/2" over this last 6 months, but her upper curve increased 3 degrees and her lower curve increased 5 degrees.

I did go back through the 99 page thread about spinecor and found that it made a lot more sense when I viewed it in thread-mode.

Which particular doctors/locations have been recommended the most for Spine-cor? I've seen Montreal and New York mentioned and I actually have a phone number for Dr. Deutchman that I found on a Spine-cor website.

Comment

shortly; all relevant scientific and practical info can be found on this site http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

in my view; there is more evidence more the effectiveness of the boston brace if properly fitted and properly worn. However the one spinecor study shows results which are superior to the boston studies. BUT; it is only one study and it is conducted by the inventors of the brace. (who could be said to have a professional and financial interests)

Despite the above, the impression one gets from reading experiences as written down on the indeed very long thread, is that specially for smaller curves in younger people the spinecor does do what it promises to do, significant reductions seem to be the norm.

At your daughters age you do not expect an awful lot in the way of correction from any brace, but from info available i would argue that spinecor is as good as anything else (at least) and it is so much more user friendly (wearable, bearable) and ofcourse if she can cope better, she'll wear it more and she has beeter chance of succes.

Personally, if i was in the states and could afford it, would travel to montreal for initial assesment and fitting; just to be sure i had the best possible result

Comment

Angie,

I would put in a call to Dr. Rivard in Montreal. He is very helpful and you could probably get a lot of advice from him over the phone. You can make your decision from there.

As far as Dr. Deutchman, he is a chiropractor. So you have to decide whether you want to go to a chiro or an orthopedic. We started with a chiro as you can see from my old threads. Personally, with a risser 3 you don't have a lot of time on your side to make changes. If you are considering Spinecor, I would go with the "experts" if I were in your position. I think you would feel a lot better if you put in the call to Montreal.

Oh, Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!! We are all off today because of snow and ice.
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Support for Dr. Deutchman

Majestic,
            I have noticed that on a few occasions you have recomended people go to Montreal and not go to Dr. Deutchman. This last post you made you wrote that he is not an expert . As I've stated before, I have two neices in the spinecor brace. They both were fitted by Dr. Deutchman and Dr. Lamantia. We chose them because they were the only full time Spinecor Doctors in the US. They not only fitted the brace but they are certified in the Spinecor exercise program and they offered neurological testing. My understanding is that they have braced as many people in three years that St. Justines has braced in over ten years, They also developed an adult program. They have published research and have two more research papers coming out. On my neices visits I have met people in wheelchairs, children and adults that no one would try to help. And I ve seen many people come out from their follow up exams excited about the reductions in their curves. So I think you are misleading many people by discrediting These doctors.

Comment

I am not discrediting anyone. I just stated the fact that Dr. Deutchman is a chiropractor and not a medical doctor. When I said "experts" I am referring to the fact that Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard invented the Spinecor brace. That makes them "experts" about their own brace, don't you think?

I do not have the power to "mislead" anyone by offering my opinion. If anyone were that stupid and naiive as to not do their own research and go with an opinion of someone with whom they have never met, well that says a lot about that person.

I know that Dr. Deutchman has a lot of experience with scoliosis and with Spinecor. If you look back at my past threads, I have said that. I also said he was probably the most knowledgable in this country. But many people are looking for an orthopedic, not a chiro.

With that being said, I also said it cost less to go to Montreal. The brace is less expensive, the appointments are less expensive, and there is no expensive neurological testing there. Of course, you have the expense of traveling to Montreal.

If you stay on these threads long enough, you will see that most of us are very grateful to out doctors and hold them in high regard.

If you want to do that for Dr. Deutchman, then stick around and give your opinion when new people go on. You can tell everyone how great your nieces are doing.

That's what this forum is about. Support for one another and our own opinions.

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

Very well said Melissa!!! I'm just thankful it's not me who's in the hot seat right now If anyone is in the least bit interested in conspiracy theories I believe JGD1991 is in cahoots with Structural.... I mean let's get real, when does an "uncle" go to clinic appointments with his "nieces" LOL!!!

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Just changing the subject here. Just want to let all of my "friends" on this site know that we just got back from the cardiologist (Yes, there are vet cardiologists!!) and Roxy's murmur is not serious. They want us to come back once more (What's another 500 dollars, right?) when she is fully mature. But her life expectancy and regular activity will not be affected by her murmur. Breeding may have been a problem, but we were not going to breed her. When she gets spayed, she will need to take an antibiotic. That's it.

Thanks everyone for your support. I told the vet that I honestly didn't think I could have handled one more emotional thing in my life right now. So thank God it was good news. I also met a lot of interesting people and their dogs while sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours.
                  Melissa

Comment

Melissa has given many people on this forum great support. This forum is so us parents can speak freely with each other about our problems and concerns please do not cause us all to become so cautious that nobody wants to say anything in fear of retaliation!!

I chose to go to Monteal because of a # of reasons. ( Dr. D is acually closer) The biggest reason is because The Doctors there are orthopedics and are INVENTORS of Spinecor. You can not get much better care than that.

Melissa

I had to put in my 2 cents hopefully it did not put me into the "hot seat"

Christine
                    from CT, USA
                    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Thank you, Ladies.

We are Moms and Dads on here trying to help each other make the best decisions we can for our children with scoliosis. That is our main objective. We are not here to worry about being in some "hot seat" because someone may have been offended. If I have to, I will resort to private messaging and e-mails if I feel that I can not talk freely.

I can give anyone any recommendation that I want. I am a Mom. I am not Consumer Report for Scoliosis Doctors. I have not claimed to be. I have my own opinions and was under the impression that I could voice them.

I am here to help others and to be helped by others.

On this site we are Parents of kids with scoli or we are individuals with scoli. If someone doesn't fall into either of those categories, that person just might not understand where we are coming from.
                      Melissa

Comment

AMEN!!!!

Last edited by Celia; 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

interesting.....,.

Comment

braceguy,

What do you mean you resigned? Resigned from what?

I agree about following up with an ortho. When we did go to see chiros for the Spinecor, we also followed up at Shriner's at the same time. I woudn't have felt comfortable otherwise.

It is pretty scary to think of people posing as other people. But of course it would make total sense. How sad.
                            Melissa

Comment

You frighten me........

Braceguy,
                              Serious, do you think that the SPinecor could maybe hold my curve to keep it from worsening? I'm not looking for correction at my age. It is so scarey but this jacket is so much more uncomfortable than the milwaukees were. From age 2? to about 18!

Comment

Working...
                              X