Swelling of calf (one side only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swelling of calf (one side only)

Has anybody ever experienced swelling in the calf of one leg after sitting for an extended period of time? I've had this weird swelling in the calf of my left leg intermittently for about 10 years. I suspect I'm experiencing it now (after a hiatus of several years) since I've recently returned to work at a desk job that requires me to sit down a lot. I had tests performed on my leg to verify that there's no blood clotting or other type of blockage going on. The swelling goes away after I get up and move around for a while. Still, it's uncomfortable and weird, and the swelling is quite visible in comparison to my unswollen right calf. Could this possibly be related to my scoliosis? All of my doctors are completely mystified. Thanks.

Anything is possible, not much seems to be know about what scoliosis causes for the rest of the body. It might be that a nerve or blood vessel gets compressed while sitting and that causes it. Does changing the angle you legs are at help. My mom gets pain if her legs aren't at a 90 degree angle when she sits. (or straight) If there is too much pressure at the back of the leg that might cause problems. I know it does for me!

Comment

Did you every receive any answers to this problem? The reason I ask is that I am having the exact same problem with my left calf. No one seems to know what is causing it. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I wonder if it could be related to the difference between veins and arteries. The arteries have their own system to carry blood around the body, but the veins need muscles to push the blood back to the heart. My guess is that when sitting for extended periods of time without movement the blood could pool in the leg causing the swelling. I know that personally I tend to tap my feet when I sit. Maybe see if unconsciously you tap one foot and not the other. Try to get up and walk around so that you can pump the blood back through your veins to your heart to get the blood re-oxygenated. Good luck, hope you are able to get this figured out.
        Mandy

Comment

Working...
        X