Armpit odor on brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armpit odor on brace

My daughter got her TLSO in November and we've been using rubbing alcohol to clean it, but tonight I noticed that under the armpit area it smells like body odor. Does anyone have a tip to try to get that stink out?

i dont know about odor, but mine was 2 yrs old and getting really gross. The doc told me to clean it every week and i did...sometimes twice a week...and it didnt help at all. He said soap and water should wrk, and then i tried bleach. I ended up giving up and getting a new one...it was too small anyway. It still doesnt clean easily. Try looking it up online or something. Ask your doc. maybe he/she knows.

my name is molly
    i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
    i got my back brace at age 13
    i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
    my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
    i've had scoliosis since i was 7
    my legs used to be uneven
    but now they look much more balanced!
    and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
    Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to reply. There are a couple of things you can try and see if they work. I just cleaned my son's tlso brace with hydrogen peroxide, poured some on a paper towel, wiped it down, and let it air dry; smelled just plain clean when I was done. I know another brace-wearer who used antiseptic wet ones wipes (they contain quaternary ammonium disinfectants--called quats) to clean her's. Also check with the othotist to see what he/she recommends.

Basically the odor is from bacteria. Anything that will disinfect should help. I used hydrogen peroxide because it also releases oxygen to freshen things up.
      Quats make things smell better because they work on a molecular level to neutralize odors.

Comment

This won't necessarily help with brace odor (I can still smell my brace and I haven't worn it in over 20 years...ahhhh...rotten plastic I do know that aside from cleaning the brace...using baby powder on the brace users body helps cut down odor too...I really should have bought stock in baby powder when I was a brace wearer. Baby powder soothes the skin and cuts odor.

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I would clean my brace when I was in a bracing program, and it still stank!

Comment

As far as odor goes,We poured alchol into a spray bottle and spray it down and let it air dry.We then spray a light light amount of febreeze onto the armpit area and let that dry.We do this all every night in her hour out of the brace.The guy at the lab who made the brace gave us this suggestion and it works great.Also we make sure she is 100% dry from her shower before putting it back on.They also tell you to clean it once a week,we clean it every night to prevent any bacteria from setting in
            Last edited by mylittleangel; 01-31-2007, 06:00 AM.
            Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

Working...
            X