Regret the decision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regret the decision?

I was just wondering if anyone regrets making the decision to have surgery or not to have surgery. I'm supposed to have mine some time next year, no dates yet, and I was just wondering because I'm personally torn. I don't want to say yes and really regret it, but I don't want to say no either. I'm just confused by the whole idea.
    35T 54L rotation
    3rd TLSO brace
    shoe lift
    trunk shift,pelvic shift
    waiting for surgery!

Hey,
    I don't have any advice for you because I am in the exact same situation! We have almost the same curves too. I think that having curves in the 40 degree range is really hard to judge whether or not to have surgery because you don't know if it's going to get worse, or if surgery will just make the situation worse or even more painful than it already is. I am 19, and have thoracic pain all the time. how old are you, and if you did choose surgery, what would be your reason for it? Why would you choose not to? Sorry this probably doesn't answer your question, hopefully someone else can help you with that.

It's good to know someone else is out there in my shoes.

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

I agonized over the decision for about two years and don't have any regrets at all. I should've done it sooner!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Like Summer I am very glad I had it done after a long period of agonising. If you go to the early archives in my blog you can see what mental torture I put myself through.

Now, nearly 1 year on, I wish I had done it years ago!"

Good luck with your decisions.
        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had the surgery...here's my story

My name's Ashley, I had the surgery 2 years ago when I was 17.

When I was 12...my curve was only 18 degrees. Eventually it progressed to 53 degrees and I was very self concious about how my body was shaped.

So at 17 years old I had 2 harrington rods put into my back.

I don't know the names of the discs or anything...but the rods are pretty much up most of my back....but not at the bottom.

And I can touch my toes without bending my knees

The scariest part honestly.....was 5 minutes before the surgery.....just becuase I was scared to have surgery of course!! Anxiety.....
          Then they help you relax and pass you out with a gas mask or needle (i had the mask). Next think you know....you wake up on your back.......totally relaxed with no pain becuase you're being pumped with pain meds. My first thought when I woke up was "I'm awake...I have the rods in my back....okay....so now what...."
          The pain medication worked very well....it wasn't a shock at all waking up with rods in my back. It was a little bit weird feeling of course....I felt like my back was a bunch of mush.

Eventually they had to take me off morphine....becuase I had an itchy reaction to it. I think I was lowered down to percaset pills? That covered up most of the pain......I'm not going to lie.....there was a couple times when the pain was unbearable....but that only lasted maybe.....half an hour. When pains a problem.....they can always fix that Whether it's give you more pain meds....or pass you out.....there's always a solution to pain I found it was a good idea to sleep a lot.

So the first 2 days was spent just laying there straight on my back. I had one big long stitch up my back that eventually dissolved into thin air....so there was no revisiting the hospital to get any stitches removed or anything like that. YAY!

Days 1 and 2 after the surgery was just me lying there talking to people that came to visit. That's when the worst pain is....day 1 and 2....maybe a bit day 3....but barely. No pain at all day 4!!! All the pain was already done and over with. That's a pretty quick pain recovery if ya ask me!!

Actually....day 3 is when I got to stand up beside my bed. That felt soooo strange. It kinda felt like....having a havy backpack on.....not painful...but kind of....uncomfortable. (it doesn't still feel like that) I stood up on day 3...and sat in a chair beside my bed. I know it sounds silly....but I was really proud of doing that!!!

So that day (day 3) I was so happy that I could get out of my bed and sit on a chair that I asked if I could try walking around.

Baby steps.

It was so strange...walking.....each step was maybe....half a foot forward. I had to walk really slow...eventually that day it felt pretty natural. Just couldn't move my head side to side much.

Day 4....I had a shower!!! All by myself.....standing up!!! The nurse had to help me pull down my pants and put them back on haha.....cuz I couldn't bend yet.

That felt soooooooooooo good. If anyone touched my back....I didn't feel it. It was totally numb. One time I had an itch on my back...and it couldn't scratch it....cuz I couldn't feel it!! haha

Feeling came back slowly throughout the next few weeks.

I was little self concious becuase my body was now shaped different. It does change slightly after that.....and looks better ....and not all crooked!!!

Day 5 I walked down some stair and then back up. A nurse helped me with that.

Then the doctor kicked me outta the hospital cuz I didn't need to be there anymore!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

I was thinking wow.....5 days and I can already walk around and go home! This is incredible!

I had to go back to the hospital the next day...but that was cuz of a stomach problem...totally unrealted.

They gave me a wheelchair so I didn't have to walk around much....I used the chair sometimes...but I liked walking.

They also gave me a little reacher thing....cuz I couldn't bend yet....this way I could use the reacher to....for example....pull up my pants!! haha

I went to school 3 weeks after my surgery....without any problems!! And without the wheelchair

Lifting heavy objects took a while...because you need to regain your strength...not a big issue at all.

I had no physiotherapy.....did all the healing on my own.

One peice of advice....if you're going to use a portable phone.....hold it with your hand...not your head...or else you'll be tilted to the side for a long time and it'll get uncomfortable.

3 months after my surgery....I was already active....wrestling around with my boyfriend and stuff...

after 6 months I did a handstand!!! Probably pushing my luck there....but I did it.

One year later...I went on rollercoasters

Now it's 2 years later...and the only thing I CAN'T do...is a summersault.

I can even bend over and touch my toes

My scar....I less than half an inch wide.....and it's not a shame at all. I actually like showing it off

I'm really proud that I had this surgery.

I hope this helped!!!!

Feel free to email me ashley_sparks@stream.com if you have any questions about the surgery.

Nothing to fear

oh...ps....I'll post my before and after pictures when I get home

Comment

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and i dont regret it at all! I really feel as if I made a good decision by going ahead with the surgery. The only part I had a problem with was the IV, (I hate needles) I flinched when she tried to put it in before surgery and she had to redo it. I had two rods put in my lower back to straighten out the curve, and it looks GREAT. Before the surgery I was really self concious about my uneven hips, and now they are perfectly even!!! I am so happy about that! And on top of that, the curve in my lowerback went from 44* to 0* My doctor had me up and walking the day after my surgery, which suprised me. I was never really in any pain at all, just a little discomfort. I did throw up the first time I looked at food, but that was only temperorary and my appetite came back pretty quick. Also, i normally sleep on my stomach so its really hard to adjust to only being able to sleep on your back. I took a shower by my self 3 days after my surgery, nobody has ever had to help me with it. One of the worst parts also was the bandage on my back, it had to be changed every day for about 2 weeks (when the steri strips loosen up) and my back was so raw from having the bandage peeled off everyday blah that was probably the worst pain besides the IV that I experienced. My scar so far is TINY. Alot of the nurses told me that they call my doctor as a joke the "plastic surgeon" because he does his work so precise the there is rarely a large scar. Anyways, sorry for the long rant! The surgery is definately worth it in the long run!!

Comment

blahh.

i chose not to. i ahve 2 40 degree curves though so if it gets worse i might be forced too. =p
              i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Working...
              X