Discovery Channel Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery Channel Show

I saw a commericial today in the midst of the Thanksgiving extravaganza for a show next thursday night at 9 eastern, 8 central (US time) called "Surgery Saved My Life: Extreme Spine Surgery" on the Discovery Channel. The commercial looked to me to be dealing with two younger children with very severe cases of scoliosis... I couldn't tell if it was congenital or not in the little boy and girl, maybe one of each... It looked very interesting, and I'm going to make a point to watch it. I just thought I'd let you all know! If you don't live in the US, look up on the discovery channel website for a time listing.

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

tune in....

Yes do tune in 8pm/discovery channel this Thursday night....it's my Dr. on tv! & do think of giving to FOCOS Foundation while your at it.....Ly

fused T-11 to L-5//Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYCity

Comment

yesterday?

was it yesterday on thanksgiving it was on ?or next thursday?
      Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

next Thursday/Nov. 30th

Comment

oh it is dr. boachie?? I am really excited to see this, lol... I am taking my chemistry exam a day early because of it. I told my professor i have a "scheduling conflict", haha, he doesn't need to know it's for a tv show!
          aBbiE
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

I saw the commercial and to me it looks like the boy has severe kyphosis.

Comment

I was told by my sister that it is on 9pm rather than 8pm on discovery channel...Ly

Comment

yeah it's on 9 pm eastern time... for me it's 8 because I live in kansas
                aBbiE
                Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                all smiles!

Comment

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if this will be on in Canada? I see that there will be a re-run on the discovery site. I really want to watch it. :P

Thanks.
                  [Name] Linda
                  [Curve] 65* & 40*
                  [Age] 15
                  [Surgery] July 20, 2006
                  [Post Op Curve] 13* & 14*

Comment

Hi Linda...

Do you get the Discovery Channel? I don't see a separate schedule for Canada, so I'm guessing that you'll either get it at the same time as the appropriate US time zone (Thursday 9PM in ET/PT) or you won't get it at all.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

From the FOCOS website, it looks like it will air again Dec. 23rd/Dr. Boachie.... It is the start of a series with other medical issues/Doctors that will come after....

Comment

Contemplating Dr. Boachie appt.

Hi! I am new to the forum. Here is my story. I had my first surgery on 10/31/1978, age 14. Harrington rod with fusion. The bottom hook dislodged the day before I was to go home. 1 month in the hospital back then. I had to do it all over again. Second surgery was the day before Thanksgiving that same year.

Everything was pretty great after that and I returned to all of my normal activities over time. Drum major, soccer, drill guard, cheer leading. About two years post-op I had xrays for follow up and the rod had broken. We took the watch and wait approach and nothing changed for a long time, many years. I had two children. The first without any problem and the second with sciatic pain.

I have had several problems over the last few years including, back pain, numbness in the left foot on and off, and loss of one full inch in height. So far I have tried to not let it effect what I do, but I do pay for it afterwards. These problems lead me to seek some specialty care for scoliosis. I live in rural uptate NY. I have recently seen Dr. Richard Tallerico at SUNY Upstate Medical Center. He completed his fellowship last year. Surgery has been suggested due to failed fusion in the lower lumbar to S1, DJD, and arthritis.

I always thought that I was "fixed" after the surgery and never thought that I would be looking at another back surgery.

To finish my story up, I am contemplating a second opinion with Dr. Boachie. I watched his Discovery Channel program and was impressed by him. Just getting back into the medical realm of scoliosis. My husband is very supportive and is okay with me pursuing whatever care I feel I need. NYC is a 4 hour trip and Dr. Boachie is costly too. I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for listening. Connie

Comment

Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, surgery does not cure scoliosis. At best, it can manage the condition. And for those of us who have never had surgery, this forum has been quite a learning experience. Even with the newer instrumentation and techniques being used today, there is no guarantee that one surgery will fix things permanently.

You are very fortunate though if you can manage a consult with Dr. Boachie.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

Comment

showing tonight

Just a reminder, the show is broadcasting tonight Feb. 11, 8pm ET.
                            Last edited by Sherie; 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Chris,

I realize that there are no guarantees in life. I was a naive 14 year old, but have managed to live many years without any/many symptoms. I live in a very rural area where I don't know of anyone else who has scoliosis. The mental model worked. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
                              Now I have to deal with it again. I wasn't quite ready. Cut some slack.

I'm not sure this forum is for me after putting my first posting out there. I guess I expected something a little different. See ya.
                              Last edited by cooper43; 02-16-2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X