Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any boys out there with a back brace ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any boys out there with a back brace ???

my cousin has a back brace he is a guy just wondering if any other guys had this problem
    Lauren and her brace brenda

i'm not a boy but i've heard scoliosis is more common in boys so i'm sure there'll be someone!
    hatty
    Bored of BOB!
    Curve 47 degrees and is lower lumber.
    6-8 months until "bonfire night"

Comment

my scolio doc. told me it hardly ever happens on guys!!!

Comment

My son has scoliosis but so far does not have a brace (we will find out if he need one on Feb 21). From what I understand, scoliosis is more common in females.

Laura
        Laura

Mom to son Anthony (age 6) and daughter Addison (age 1)

Anthony was diagnosed Dec 2006 with a 21 degree curve and a 14 degree curve. Currently waiting and watching under the direction of an Ortho. Next appointment is in August.

Comment

Interesting discussion! My son wears a tlso brace 23/7. His ortho says scoliosis occurs equally in boys and girls, but girls are more likely to have curve progression. I think it may seem like there's more girls than boys out there with braces, but that may be because girls are more willing to talk about what's going on with them than boys.

Comment

yea it seems like there are like no guys who have scoliosis! i mean girls most girls have scoliosis, girls need mamograms, some girls get breast cancer,ect. Girls get everything! what do boys get? my dad has tendinites(spelled wrong) which is tennis elbo. but to my understanding i guess everyone gets that the same!(boys and girls get it equally!)

Hi i'm nicole and have had scoliosis for about 2 months! i'm thirteen and am in 7th grade!
            Hey i'm Nicole,
            i'm 16, i like to write stories
            and poems.
            I never come on here so...
            peace

Comment

A guy at my school wears a brace...I really really wanna tell him I have one too so we can talk about it but I'm too scared lol.
              My name is Katie and I love to Dance especially Ballet. I am 14 years old and after 3 years of the Boston brace, I'm officially brace-free! Great holiday present if I do say so myself

Comment

Katie, you must go & tell him. He'll be so pleased that you did & so will you.
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

My son is ten years old now, and has had a Boston brace since he was eight years old for idiopathic scoliosis. His S-shaped curves are holding steady or slightly improving. He does wear his brace - probably an average of 20 hours/day, although he is supposed to be wearing it 23 hours/day.

Comment

Boys With Brace

I have a brace and its a milwaukee brace and im a boy
                    WANE

Comment

My son wore a TLSO brace for almost four years - until we were told he needed surgery. His brace became less & less comfortable as he entered his 1st adolescent growth spurt. The pads had to be reduced. We were so relieved when we were told he could stop wearing it. But if it had kept working to stop the curve progression, he definitely would have kept wearing it. I think that if it prevents the need for surgery, it's usually worth the stress of wearing it. We called him our man of steel, our superboy. Now we added bionic boy to the list of positive ways to describe his strength, courage & positive attitude about everything he's been through with scoliosis.
                      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

all of the guys at my school never even heard of it. so there constantly hitting/punshing it

Comment

Working...
                        X