Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeannette Lee has Scoli AND she had revision surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeannette Lee has Scoli AND she had revision surgery?

Named one of the Sexiest Female Athletes in the World by ESPN
    Ten Women We Love by Esquire
    Dozen Most Attractive Women Athletes by Aloette Cosmetics

I didn't know who she was until I saw her picture and had a wow moment.

Here's is her "story" .... http://www.drdonnica.com/celebrities/00006339.htm

I guess she hasn't heard of the NSF? She was born in 1971 btw, http://www.jeanettelee.com/jlbio.htm
    Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Born in '71 like me..very cute girl and GREAT links, thanks.

I'm having an epiphanie, if that's what I shall call it. I want to make scoliosis known and these types of stories being shared is just what scoli needs. I am so sick of being ashamed when someone asks:what is scoliosis? and I feel like a freak when I have to say my back is curved, crooked, and don't want looks of discust. No more. I feel like I'm in AA and standing up to say: "Hi, my name is Nancy and I have scoliosis!".

C, you write that book and let's make shirts that say this I'm pumped, just for a minute or two...
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

We could be so creative together! I love our idea of a t-shirt and the slogan.

In Canada, or the area in which you live do they have mandatory school screenings?

I grew up in Washington and they didn't have them when I grew up. Education might have helped me in my psychological... well dang it, growing up. After I got the cast off a boy asked me (he lived two blocks away) what was that you had again?

If you have never seen Jeanette Lee play pool on TV, especially with the men? She is frickin' intimidating and cool! And no, I never ever saw her scoli or thought to look. She is smokin'

I wish that celebrities who have had scoliosis would tell us more, e.g., like we do, year, brace type, yada, maybe even how they have felt inside. Heck, they could do it under an alias...but maybe they are like me... I felt kind of sick the couple of time back in ..2002 or so..

I know this sounds stupid, but I was shocked to see someone Asian, while I know full well they have found scoli in chickens.... that is so stupid. I knew about Yo Yo Ma years ago but Jeanette? She so beautiful, "unique" and smokin'. Silly rabbit, me.

fyi, most people I told only recently about my scoli here in Phoenix/Scottsdale said, what, oh yeah, sure I've heard of that. No one was repulsed just astonished and interested. It might be that with age, everyone is interested in something that might go "wrong with them" or their children. I think they were also astonished because as a fitness instructor (actually I resigned but that is another story, the close of a chapter for me to move on) well heck, they are all looking at my weights yada etc.

The appearance of things is "fun" when you don't have a big loud brace to tell everyone.
      Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

No screenings here in Canada.

I don't know if I ever saw her play pool, but will keep looking for her on the sports channel, she IS hot!

Yeah, older people are more understanding of any diseases, condition, etc I have found, but the yougin's(and this I mean even in thirties since IMO some are just not that "mature") are more the ones that pity, or look with discust, not at my back b/c it was never ugly but more about the thought of a curved spine. Anywayzzzz!! LOL.

I was SHOCKED when Liz taylor was in a wheelchair on Larry King recently, b/c of her scoliosis! Did you see Sarah Michelle Gellar's wedding pic? BEAUTIFUL, and SO touching...She talks about it without shame and so does Rebecca Romjin, even if they have smaller curves.
        Last edited by sweetness514; 11-15-2006, 04:42 PM.
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I grew up in the Rochester, NY area in the mid 70s and we had screening in the schools. My doctor went to the different districts to set up the screening programs. The schools where I live here in Georgia have it now.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2010
            I grew up in the Rochester, NY area in the mid 70s and we had screening in the schools. My doctor went to the different districts to set up the screening programs. The schools where I live here in Georgia have it now.
            Ooh.. I was in Rochester for college. Good times, too much snow... (I still get amused at the silly folks that frat over only a few inches of snow)
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I'm in Georgia now. You should see how silly people get over a few flurries!!!
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Wow, that is a great link!!! I've seen her shoot pool and she is awesome and I never noticed her back.

After years of having scoliosis, I can usually spot it. Never saw it in her!!!

Thanks, Shari

Comment

Screening

Hey everyone, you are all too funny, and Sweetness I will be your Canadian partner for those T-shirts!
                  As for the screening goes, my scoliosis was discovered in 82 because of screening at school. It was mandatory back then, have they changed it ?I am not sure.
                  Note Ann Murry alos as Scoliosis, just thought i would add to the liste.
                  Take care everyone, Cic

Comment

I was never screened for it, but maybe that was only in my school. My GP saw the scoli b/c my mom told him I had back pain.

Comment

Hi everyone - just poking around here, I'm new. I'm in Canada too, and they never screened us. My mom noticed something was wrong because she had to keep hemming my new skirts and pants! I noticed that I had a waist on one side and not on the other! I think that it wouldn't take much at all for them to bring screening back. I like your comments Sweetness - I hate having to explain what Scoliosis is too.
                      Cena
                      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

My scoliosis was also noticed by my mother hemming my cloths at the age of 11 or 12. And that was back in the 1970's.

There has to be a way to put the word out about this condition!!! When I see the list of celebrities that have scoliosis, I can't help but wonder if they were as ashamed of it as I was, and covered it up as best they could, like I did???

As we all wish for world peace, cures for cancers, a cure for aids, cures for other diseases and condtions, an end to world poverty and hunger, why can't we throw scoliosis into that "basket"!!!! Just a thought!!!

Shari

Comment

Good thought Shari!

What is often asked is I must have been in an accident to have scoliosis, like conditions and diseases don't just happen on their own sometimes, lol

Comment

I know what you mean! I've been asked whether I've been in an accident, if it happened at birth, or if it is caused by CP or Spina Bifida. I don't think many people understand the extent that scoliosis can be if left untreated. Back with my first surgery, my parents were given a grim picture of my outlook if left untreated, as it was thought that my double curve would continue rotating and cave forward. (chronic heart and lung problems, wheelchair, etc.) as is probably the case if many of us were left untreated. It's an issue of public knowledge, and it isn't out there. Even with stories like "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", it's not common knowledge that he had kyphosis and maybe scoliosis? It's frustrating, and too bad that it's not acknowledged.
                            Cena
                            Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                            Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                            July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Working...
                            X