Possible Surgery Dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Surgery Dates

I posted about a month ago with news of continued curve progression below my fusion and herniated disc at L4-L5. I finally got 2 prospective dates for surgery to extend the rod.
    I will have surgery over christmas break from college so that I dont take time off of school (my school has an 8 week break). It will either be December 15th or 26th.
    I am kind of hoping for the 15th so that I have more recovery time, but the 26th has been recommended by lots of friends becuase it is after christmas (this is not a big deal for me, getting rid of this horrible pain will be the biggest gift I can recieve!!!). I feel like I have little time to prepare now with just over a month until surgery.
    I am excited yet nervous at this point, but have gotten over the inital depression that I went through when I found out I needed the surgery. I think if I do have surgery on the 15th it will be ironic because it will be EXACTLY 1 year since my last surgery.
    We are just waiting to hear from the hospital as to which date they have available. Will update when I find out. Thanks for your support.
    Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Whichever date you are given, I hope it works out to your advantage. I can relate to your wanting the surgery done on the 15th, to maximize & coincide with your winter break (and yeah, how ironic to have another surgery on the same date and probably time as your last one!) I can understand your friends wanting you to wait until after the Christmas holiday, but you know what will work best for you. You'll probably be home before Christmas... I didn't like the idea of my son being in the hospital Christmas eve and day but bringing him home Christmas evening was the best feeling & really has given me a whole new perspective and appreciation on life and what is really, truly important.

Anyway, just hoping your upcoming surgery is successful & uncomplicated and wishing you the best in the new year!

Renee

Comment

Hi Mandy,

I also had revision last year on Dec.15th...and Xmas wasn't as important but having gotten rid of the surgery and being home was more important.

All the best for an easy recovery, and hopefully a pain free future, Lord knows you deserve it!
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi, Mandy! Girl if you are in pain.... 15th sounds great!

As for "so many friends" etc. telling you the 26th? I am sure they are well meaning but please.

It might be about their own comfort... but I am sure they are well meaning just no one knows better than you and it's clear from you writing that "the sooner the better are you kidding?"

Tell your friends, hey I've decided about the 15th and hope you will support me and be good friends and fill me with happy thoughts, rather than too bad, so sad, you'll be recovering for Christmas. What are there a bunch of parties they want you to go to during that time?

Selfish. But be kind because they "know not what they do."
        Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

Hey all, my surgeons office called today and gave me the official date of December 26th. I will go into the OR at 1:00 PM (or so they say).
          ck-I had surgery on the 15th last year and it was fine with me. I think they are concerned about me being "drugged" for christmas, but in the scheme of things...it is a day that we have highly commercialized and anyone can remember all year long. I think it is the economys way of getting more money. Anyways...I will be in (maybe out) for New Years (another holiday that too much money is spent on).
          I am not a big partier, and even if I was I would be at home with my family and trying to get some sleep.

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember being drugged and weak but by Xmas, it was not so bad.

Ain't that the truth about Christmas and the economy. I want to give to people who need it more this year, like the ortho wing at the hospital I had surgery.

1pm, that's not so bad, you won't get too stressed the night before, hope you can eat some.
            Last edited by sweetness514; 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness...its funny that you say that you want to give it more to the people who need it more. For Halloween I thought "I am too old to go trick or treating but still wanted to go out. I ended up not doing anything, but I think next year I am going to go trick or treating and donate it to the hospital (I need to make sure they allow this first).
              I just remember last year when I had surgery on Dec. 15th I got a card that some elementary school kids had made and it was so sweet. It brought a big smile to my face.
              Then...the first surgery I had I was still in high school and was a TA in a first grade class and all the kids made me a card (and some of the parents got me stuff that I didnt need, lol) and that almost made me cry. (dont you love hormones after surgery).
              Mandy

Comment

I know what you mean...the hospital & other outside organizations were so nice to the kids last year. I've been telling my kids all year I want to donate gifts to the hospital. I've thought about a toy drive but not exactly sure how or where to start.

Comment

Could you organize one through your sons school asking the kids to bring in gifts for other kids that are unable to celebrate the holidays (can't say christmas in school anymore) because of illness/injury and are being hospitalized instead? Maybe say to bring an unused/unwrapped gift that is around a certain price range (that is reasonable to ask of Jr. High parents) and drop them off at centralized locations (school office, library, etc.).
                  You might also be able to do something like this through the city library, your local neighborhoods (posting flyers on the door and having a pick up date or giving contact details for you to arrange pick up/drop off, etc.)
                  Dont know if you are involved in a church, boy scouts, or other outside activity, but groups like this (if not already doing such a thing) are usually really good about giving to the needy at the holidays.
                  Hope that sparks some ideas. I will start to think of some more and get back to you as well.
                  Mandy

Comment

Those are great ideas. I just checked my post and for the first time I don't spell Christmas Xmas(to make it short), I go ruin it and spell it Christamas, LOL.

Anyways, I love cards too!! I know people are not as much into giving them during the Holidays like they used to when I was growing, mom used to get so many. You know what pissed me off last year after my Dec.15th surgery? There were some singers singing Christmas charols and I missed them! They came the next day of my surgery and I was so out of it, but asked about the singing. I'm stunned they operate on the day after Christmas, they don't do that here.

Comment

I was really suprised to hear that he was doing surgery the day after christmas too. I am also not his only case that day (suprised me, lol). He did say that he was going to squeeze me in wherever possible though becuase he wanted to get it done when convienient for me (and suprisingly to him he was already scheduled that far out!!!). Anyways, I will play the denial game on christmas and get to sleep in for the first time the day of surgery. .

Comment

Hi Mandy,

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good attitude!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                        X