No announcement yet.

Now pain in left hip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Theresa, it doesnt always pay to play by the rules does it. I think taking a chance is always a good idea.

OK here is my ignorance, what and where is the hemi vert?? I just saw where America was celebrating New Year I do hope you all had a good one.

God bless,
    Lorraine. xx
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hi Lorraine...

Thank you so much for your kind words. I do very much enjoy helping people, and have thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many nice people such as yourself. I hope that you eventually find some relief for your pain.

Another possibility I thought of is that I think the surgeon who performed my surgery actually visits Tasmania occasionally, because his ex-wife lives there with his kids. If that's true, I'm certain I could get him to at least talk to you on his next trip. If that's of interest, send an email to me at linda @ scoliosislinks.com (without the spaces), and I'll find out when his next trip is planned.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Macky,

I didn't quite finish that last e-mail. What I meant by not playing by the rules is everytime I have to have something done, I always end up having some off the wall problem. I tell my husband that is what makes me so special and different! Both of the doctors have said if you look at my x-rays you see a good looking balanced fusion. Then you look at me! Dr. LaGrone was able to see some small things that didn't look quite right to him.

Now back to your original question: A hemi-vertebra is a vertebra that did not form completly or correctly. My hemi vertebra is down at the sacrum. My original doctor didn't include it in the fusion because he didn't think it would matter. Dr. LaGrone thinks that might be where alot of the pain is coming from. He thinks that it has some movement, (hence the halos around the screws).

We just finished our dinner for New Year's. I don't really know which vegteable goes to which wish. But down here in Texas, on New Year's you always have with your dinner black eyed peas and also cabbage. One is to wish you good luck and one is to wish to wealth.

I hope you have a very Happy New Year!
        Last edited by Theresa; 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa what a wonderful tradition. Having New Year dinner and then wishing on each vegetable. I think that is just lovely. I have never tried black eyed peas but believe me I would just love to. Yep love cabbage as well.

I am so sorry but I did get a grin when you said that your doctors think you have a well balanced fusion in your Xrays and then they look at you, that was a crack up ( a funny one- aussie language)

Ouch the hemi vertebrae would jolly well hurt. Pain is a terrible thing honey isnt it. Some of us have a high threshold of pain, others a low one, but when all said and done it HURTS doesnt it. You have been through so much and have kept such a great attitude, I just love this thread and the posts.

I dont like all the pain though and wish I could help somehow. But knowing there is a little old lady (HUH) not so old !! over here is Tassie thinking about you, well I hope that helps. I do pray for you all as well.

God bless, you and the black eyed peas!
          Lorraine. xx (Macky)
          Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
          Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Lorraine,

What do you mean little old lady!?!?!?! (LOL)

You are just a few years older than me and I'm not old and not planning on being old any time soon!!!!

I understand alot of your Aussie slang. My grandmother was Irish, married an English man, so my mother was Irish/English! My aunt and uncle use alot of the same words as you do or very similar. By the way, my mother then proceded to date a "Yankee GI" (and on top of that an Italian from NY) in the early fifties and became a war bride to a "Yank" in 1953. I think I have the neatest background!
            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa, you are such a delight. I love your background, and how absolutely romantic for your mum to fall in love and become a war bride.

I am glad you understand my little snippets, and honey I am 55 years young believe me, and like yourself shall never, ever get old. I just have to find a
              partner who has the same attitude, due to being alone at the moment. But I enjoy my own company and have two wonderful sons who love me to bits and a little grand daughter who thinks her nan is totally off the planet!

I just want to say that Linda Racine is an angel. She is doing her best to organise her doctor to see me when he visits Tasmania, her post is a few up from this one. God love her, I just cant believe she would go out of her way like this, but then reading her posts I guess I should have known nothing is too much trouble for this lady.

Now there was no need for her to do this and that is what makes this forum so absolutley fantastic. People who are there for each other, supporting, listening and just being kind.

Well thats all from me today I do hope it is one of your better ones Therese, I am so enjoying this thread.

God bless,
              Lorraine. (Macky)
              Last edited by macky; 01-02-2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
                I feel that my doctor has done his best and even Dr. LaGrone has commented on his beautiful work.
                I have been lurking on this thread for a while. I was curious to see how things with Dr. LaGrone were going for you and MaryHou. Since I live in Houston, I was also glad to see that your previous Dr's work was good. I don't have the complex problems that you have. My surgery was done in the late '80s with better techniques, so I don't have flat back or need osteotomies. I just need an extension of my fusion and I think the Docs here can handle it.

I have heard great things about the staff at Dr. LaGrone's office. That can make a big difference in your care. I wish you both the best. I hope you can be pain free soon.

Comment

PNUTTRO Thank you for your thoughts and for caring.

Indeed, I am so happy that I learned about Dr. LaGrone. His level of expertise, to my knowledge, is outstanding and his attention to his patients is superb. Even his office staff, every one of them, is very supportive and helpful. I am so glad that I finally went to see him after losing my doctor of close to 30 years, Dr. Jesse Dickson, when he retired.

Are you still seeing Dr. Hanson?

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
                  1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
                  1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
                  1977 Rods removed
                  2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
                  2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi PNUTTRO,

I think that we have "talked" in the past. My flat back issues are coming from the newer techniques and instrumentation. My very first A/P surgery was just 2 and a half years ago. Like I said in one of the other posts, if there is some off the wall problem that you can get, I usual get it. Your correct in saying that the newer techniques and hardware usually do not have a result of flatback. I think you said that your surgery was done in the late 80's? Mine is about 20 years after yours, April 2004.

If you are seeing Dr. Hansen, you will probably meet my doctor somewhere along the line. Dr. Hansen assisted with my doctor on my surgery. My Doctors' name is Dr. Reitman, they are in the same clinic within Baylor. Dr. Reitman will be doing my follow up care from Dr. LaGrone.

Dr. LaGrone will also be extending my fusion a little further on down on the sacrum.

Thank you so much for your good luck wishes! Dr. LaGrone did say that he would not be able to get rid of all of my pain but maybe a good amount. Actually, since starting the Kadian, things are alot better!
                    Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Happy New Year everyone:
                      I'm hoping and praying that you all have as pain free a year as is possible and that the colder climates aren't causing too many problems.
                      I was discharged from physical therapy this week with a long list of exercises, dos and don’ts.
                      One thing my therapist found was that my left hip was a bunch of scar tissue and adhesions, most likely caused by bone graphs tendon tears etc. It is especially a problem for those of us who are fused into our sacrum because we rely so much on our hips. My therapist did some massage of my hip and I found it to be extremely helpful. I know that many of you have hip pain and wondered if you have tried massage therapy.
                      take care everyone and careful on that ice!!

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
                        I went to massage therapy regularly over the past ten years prior to this last surgery. I found it helpful in that it eased some of the spasms and tightness in the hips. However, deep tissue massage does "hurt", but it's almost a "good kind of hurt" - I think that's the best way to describe it - it works on the muscles, but does feel better afterwards. What works for one person may not work for someone else though.
                        Cena
                        Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                        Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                        July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

hip pain

I have not had any surgery however the pain you have sounds similar. I am 43 and the pain started 3 years ago, it is lower left radiates down the back and side of my hips i tingle and have numbness. My scolo is 40lower and 31 upper and have L5 herniated disk L4bulging L3&2 DDD. I have been told that my MRI which I have coming soon will probably show forminal stenosis. The Dr. is reluctant to fix it without fixing the scolo curve. As we age the curve if greater than 30 degrees will increase at a rate of 1- 1 1/2 degrees - you know gravity and as we women loose our estrogen so does our collegen and other regenerative processes. So I guess everything moves just enough to cause openings to narrow. I would look into this too. Good Luck!
                          43 year old
                          30-upper
                          41-lower
                          ddd,bulging disks
                          bone spurs
                          osteoarthritis
                          waiting for surgery

Comment

Hey

I actually had surgery scheduled with Dr. Hanson back in Sept. I canceled; I decided that it wasn't the right time. I'm glad that I did. I medicate a lot more, but I just have too many other things going on right now--I can't afford the down time.

I'll probably stick with Hanson for the surgery, just not right now.
                            I'll let you know when it happens.

Wishing everyone well.

p

Comment

Could this be bursitis--where do I go next?

This thread has been very interesting to me as my sciatic area hip pain which started before my posterior surgery has continued after the surgery 6 1/2 months ago. It was more severe before, going down my leg into the foot and now just has a pinched tight feeling by the right hip with an achy numb feeling going down the leg. My surgeon told me that it was probably healing up yet, but I have not seen any improvement in the past couple months; it even seems worse.

The pain is the worst when I am on my feet or walking for very long--probably a 7 or 8 most of the time. It is also bad if I roll onto that hip in bed and very painful and stiff when I get up in the morning. When I walk, it looks like I'm limping--that hip feels frozen and I can only take short stiff steps. I feel like grabbing out the crutches in my closet at times. Pain relievers don't seem to do much other than take the edge off. I had pain shots before surgery which made the area hurt more than it already did.

I had 6 weeks of PT and am continuing the exercises at home. Don't see any difference or help. I see my surgeon again March 6. Should I ask him for a referral to someone else and if so, what type of dr. would specialize in this type of problem?

Deb
                              age 48
                              posterior surgery 7/24/06
                              for S curve T72,L77
                              50% correction

Comment

I have had several bouts of bursitis in both hips. If you lay on you side and pull up your hips into a fetal postion and then feel around the hip joint you should be able to find "the spot". You will know if you found the area as it will be very sore. My PC doc injects, into the joint, predinsone. It isn't as bad as it sounds and the result is worth the minute or to of discomfort
                                SandyC

Comment

Working...
                                X