New 12 year old daughter with TLSO Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mrf,

I agree with gerbo, surgery isn't an option for your daughter at this point. For one, most surgeons don't do surgery until a child is done growing which is usually a Risser 5 and most surgeons don't consider doing surgery until the cuves reach 45-50 degrees or higher. Having said that, I'll answer your questions as best as I can. For my daughter her pre-surgery Scoliosis curve was about 46* and after surgery it is about 14*. The curve they did surgery for is holding at 14*, however, she has developed a curve above her fusion and we are probably facing more surgery. I'm not telling you this to scare you, but I believe in telling the truth. From what I've learned on this forum and other sources, my daughter is the exception to the rule. Most kids have surgery and get on with their lives. By the way, Jamie will be 2 years post-op come December.

I know you have to watch what you say to your daughter about her Scoliosis. Who knows, maybe if you leave the Spinekids website info. for her to see, she might surprise you and check it out. I'm sure it would help her to know that she isn't the only one going through this.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by mrf
      Gerbo,

Dr. Rivard?
      sorry, he is the canadian spinal surgeon who invented the spinecor, he would give you the best possible opinion with regards to the spinecor I would think. I know others have taken that route and might be in a better position to comment.

gerbo

Comment

Well, we are making progress. Since the disasterous first day, we have actually progressed to 6 hours a day. While she' still not happy, she is at least coming to terms and is beginning to talk about her condition and the treatment. My wife was actually able to have a conversation with her about scoliosis - which she refused to do up until now. I mentioned Spinekids to her and, even though we are pretty conservative with internet usage, I will give her an opportunity to explore on her own.

Gerbo, Thanks for the info on Dr. Rivard. I have seen several postings on the Spinecor thread mentioning Dr Deutchman in New York with very positive comments. I think Ill speak with him first and, hopefully, get an appointment with him soon.

MATJESNIC - According to some of the information I have read, the overweight issue does seem to have some bearing on the effectiveness of the Spinecor brace but I will definitely pursue it.

Quite frankly I'm just breathing a (small) sigh of relief that she's actually agreeing to wear the brace at home. Baby steps.......

Comment

mrf,

I'm glad things are a little better at your house. It will take some time for everyone to get adjusted to all the changes. It turned our lives upside down for a while. Please know that if your daughter ever wants to e-mail or talk to my daughter, she would be happy to do so. My daughter is also 12 and has had over a year to get used to the diagnosis of scoliosis.

Good luck to all of you no matter what path you choose.

Melissa
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

hi!

Hey i am 14 and i wear a brace only at night.If yor dauther is haveing so much truoble wearing the brace mabe u should ask her if she would rather have surgrey.I know most kids dont but you can try.And your the parents you tell her she needs to wear the brace.If i had to wear an all day brace and go to school i seriously would not care!more attention!hahahah.It did take me a while to staring wearing my brace 8-10 hours a day but now its so easy!So just bribe her with somthing like,if you wear your brace to school for 1 week ill give u money or somthing liek that.Hey it worked for me!Ok well hope this helps!!! good luck

Comment

Hi Orangie0313. Thanks for writing. I like your advice and am willing to try anything!!! Good luck to you too!

Comment

Working...
              X