Question over Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question over Scoliosis

Hello Everyone I'm new here and so happy I found this place after spending hours on different sites, and still have questions after reading A LOT...Now hopefully someone can help me here...

My Mom which just turned 60 found out about 2 years ago she has Arthropathy and Degenerative Scoliosis of the Lumber spine and Vilateral Sacroiliac joint arthritis Now as time goes on shes been getting really sick to her stomach, she notices more so when she cleans or does things to irratate her back. Her Spine is completely over to right side in the x-rays.....Her Doctor has put her on stomach medicine for her stomach. Now my question is can this cause you to be sick to your stomach all the time, especially when you've done something to irratate the back such as putting sheets on bed, mopping, vacuming, etc.?

And can it cause your nerves to be bad? Like being jittery, etc....

I really appriciate any help you can give me on this...

Thank you so much,
    CindyT
    Last edited by CindyT; 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot a question

60 with scoliosis

I sent you a private message.

My stomach was crumpled and I had acid reflux . When the gastro doctor looked into my stomach she said it was laying on it's side called "watermelon stomach".
    I do not have that now .
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you Karen for the reply and the pm...I'm so grateful for your information. I also sent you a pm.

Thank you again,

I'll keep checking the boards daily.

Comment

Hi Cindy,

I realize this is a delayed response... As for your mom's stomach upset in relation to the lumbar scoliosis. Our organs have very significant relationships with the spine, ribcage and pelvis. I'l spare you the long details but just mention this; the distal end of the duodenom (small tube connecting the exit of the stomach to the small intestine) is securely attached to the transverse process of L2 on the anterior (front) side. In the case of her scoliosis, this connection can, and often does, create dysfunctional problems relating to the stomach, duodenom, small and large intestines. Due to the fixed curvature and rotation of her lumbars it will put excessive strain on this visceral suspensory ligament. This in turn will cause a cascade of further strain patterns and affect physiologic function, etc.

Any activity therefore that challenges the spine in general (especially lumbar mechanics) can also irritate this sensitive connection to the viscera. An Osteopath versed in visceral manipulation may be able to provide her with some relief by adding mobility and extensibility to the relevant structures and tissue.

Good Luck and I hope this post reaches you.

Regards,
        Structural

Comment

You bet scoliosis can cause you to be sick to your stomach, because if the spine is compressing the stomach and esophagus, that can give the stomach less room to expand and to function normally.

Comment

Hi Alter :
            Practicing the 3 Dimentional Katharina Schroth method you will be able to decrese the amount of disconfort in your abdominal area . One way to assist this area is by self traction from the first lumbar physio-logical curve to the last two flotants ribs in the back .

Stay well. B

Comment

Working...
            X