Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an amazing story!

Dear Laura,

Thanks so much for sharing your mother's story with us. what a courageous woman she is! I am 47 and everyone thought it was amazing that I was having scoliosis surgery at my age; can't imagine it at 74.

So glad to hear that her surgery went well and she is safely recovering. It is a slow process, even at my age, but it sounds like she has a marvelous family and support system and that she will do fine. Hope that this will give you and her family many more good years with her!

Deb
    6 wks post-op from posterior surgery 7/24/06
    for T70,L76 curves

Comment

Thanks

Hi Deb,
      Thanks for your note. I used to decorate cakes and I'm 47. Coincidences.

How're you doing now?

Take care,
      Laura

Comment

mom's scoliosis surgery

Your Mom really needs to keep moving to prevent complications such as pneumonia and clots. Make sure the nurses/somebody get her out of bed and WALKING.

I strongly suggest your mom go to a rehab hosp before going home--covered by Medicare. There she will be helped to get on her feet sooner and safely.
        She's more likely to get appropriate pain management and early therapy as well.
        They will be better at it that you could possibly be.

That's what I did at 60. I stayed for 2 weeks.

Ask around for a good place(discharge planner)
        Last edited by Karen Ocker; 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks Karen

Hi Karen,
          Mom is walking and doing physical therapy. I talked to her today and she sounds really good. She's really motivated to get healing by being active.

Actually the plan is exactly as you suggested with the acute rehab facility.

Thanks so much for you caring advice,
          Hope you're well.
          Laura

Comment

Working...
          X