Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference between standing and supine xrays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between standing and supine xrays...

I've always known that the curvature could vary between a standing and supine xrays..

Well, I had to have a chest/abdomen/pelvic CT recently. They usually take one or two scans as an 'orientation' view so the tech knows where to start and stop scanning for the axial images.

I was quite suprised to see how small my major curve looks on the frontal view of the orientation scan. It was taken early in the morning (when I feel 'strighter') and I had my arms above my head. The difference is so drastic I guess my curve is still very flexible even though I don't feel as flexible as I once was.

I thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

spine.jpg is my full standing xray and ctspine is the ct orientation scan.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

I'm confused. Was one of the films taken in the supine position?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

the ct spine one.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi Green...

When you lay down, your curves straighten considerably. That's why scoliosis xrays are taken in the standing position.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I alredy know that.

I've had standing full-spine and the typical supine spine xrays taken. The difference between the two were minimal, just 4 degrees.

It was just interesting to me that my curve had the capacity to strighten out that much despite the congenital wedged vetebraes. So, just wanted to share my excitement(?).
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hey green i feel the same way, i feel that when im laying down my back streches more, specially when i've been laying down for like 15 min. what i do to check how much my body goes down is i set my sholders at a normal position (while standing) then i bring my hands to my croch area and my hands seem to be lower than my croch area, then i lay down and put a pillow on my back (where i have the curve which is a lumbar curve) and my hands seem to have gone up and my hands are at my croch area. Im going for a check up on jan 17 and hopefully they take some xrayz their way and my way to see how much i would actually gain if i were to get a fusion. Also what i notice is that my body looks alot longer when i put the pillow on my back (while laying down of course) I would say that the amount i gain is if i were to shrug my sholders upward if i were standing which i think is like 2 to 3". But after laying down with the pillow on my back and standing up I get this horrible back pain for a couple of min. till i guess my back gets back to its normal possition.
            right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

Green m&m:

I find it interesting you say you feel straighter in the morning. In Martha Hawes' book Scoliosis and the Human Spine she claims the degree of curvature can change by as much as 20 degrees from morning until night. I have been wondering whether that could possibly be true and that if it is what a difference it makes whether x-rays are taken later in the day (which is usually the case for my children since I book their appointments after school).

Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Originally posted by rtremb
                Green m&m:

I find it interesting you say you feel straighter in the morning. In Martha Hawes' book Scoliosis and the Human Spine she claims the degree of curvature can change by as much as 20 degrees from morning until night. I have been wondering whether that could possibly be true and that if it is what a difference it makes whether x-rays are taken later in the day (which is usually the case for my children since I book their appointments after school).

Ruth
                That is very true! During the course of the day we shrink. That why is so important for the young scoliotic spine to learn new behaviors in order to derotate, elongate and promote the counter correction.
                Go to www.scoliosistreatment-schroth.com
                sosort.org

Comment

I notice that when I drive, if it is in the morning i have to move my rear-view mirror up but at night I can't see anything out of it if I drove in the morning last and I have to put it down again... same concept as you all are talking about, nevertheless still interesting! I've always wondered what my curves would be late afternoon, as my xrays have always been taken in the morning too...
                  aBbiE
                  22 yr old F,KU college student
                  Kyphoscoliosis...
                  Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                  Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                  I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                  Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

EVERY person, scoliotic or not, loses height during the day due to gravity.

If your car mirror appears maladjusted in the evening, it's less likely you've been compressed more than the norm than you have suffered fatigue from the curve.

(i.e., your muscles are tired, and your posture has worsened.)

I'm very alarmed at the claims here on "derotation", etc ...

rtremb, you could ask ME the same (I've lived with it.), but please divulge your background - and your professional credentials - to give advice in adult (leftover AIS) scoli. I'd LOVE to see them.

Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
                      I notice that when I drive, if it is in the morning i have to move my rear-view mirror up but at night I can't see anything out of it if I drove in the morning last and I have to put it down again... same concept as you all are talking about, nevertheless still interesting! I've always wondered what my curves would be late afternoon, as my xrays have always been taken in the morning too...
                      I do the exact same thing!
                      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                      2005 - T50, L31

2011 - T60, L32
                      2013 - T68, L?

Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Me too.
                        Ruth
                        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth,

I just wanted to say, I think you're doing an amazing job!!!! You have learned so much in such a short period of time and I hope your daughter can avoid surgery! We're all cheering for you!

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
                          X