Massage Post Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage Post Surgery

Hello. I was hoping someone can help answer this question for me. I had my uppper spine fused and rods placed on either side about ten years ago ( I was 13 then and just turned 23). I have a lot of pain and soreness and was wondering if massage may help. I also wondered if massage is even okay to do when you have had the surgery. Thanx in advance for any help!

Hi...

You might want to talk to your surgeon's office, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be OK. At 10 years post op, you're either fused or you're not, and massage isn't going to change that.

I had a massage when I was only 3 weeks post op.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That's awesome! Thanx so much.

Comment

Some people like me have a hard time with hard massages on the implants, as it gives inflammation, but a soft one around the hardware when it's been a long time since surgery should not be a problem.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hello,

I couldn't wait to have my 1st post-op massage and was thrilled to find out I get one after each P.T. session. (Which started at 4 mos.) It has really helped. I have a very good friend who has had a Harrington rod for 24 years and she gets a massage every month to help her discomfort. I bet it will really help you with the pain. Keep us posted how it works for you.

Comment

Working...
          X