Hospital Stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago Doctor

Chris, Sent you an answer and my private e-mail. Hope you get them both. Let me know if you don't. MaryLou
    45 y/o female, retired RN
    1st scoli surgery '75, double curves, 56 & 52 degrees with Harrington Rod T4-L4.
    2nd reconstruction '05, removal of rod, pull L5 into fusion, secured with 12 screws and 2 plates.
    Presently 18 month post-op, doing relatively well.

Comment

Visitors not really necessary at hospital

Hi Leelee,
      I am home just a week and half from my surgery and 8 days in hospital, so it is fresh in my mind. The surgeon had told me that a day in intensive care is possible, however, I did not need it after surgery and went direct to my room. The first roommate I got was a 91 year old woman with dementia. Everyone who came in had to yell at her to be heard--the nurses, family, etc. I knew right away it was an awful place to recover in, so I asked the nurse for another room. They found me one, luckily, with a 71 year old woman recovering from a knee replacement who had developed blood clots. We were a much better match since we were both in pain, moaning, and couldn't get out of bed. Also, if one of us dropped or lost our nurse call light, the other could ring for one to come help us.

As far as visitors other than immediate family, I guess some came during the first three days and I was sleeping most of the time, so they signed a note that they had been there and left the note!! The 4th to 6th day when they took the tubes out and wanted me to get up and move around, I was in too much pain to even want anyone around. By the 7th day, I was on better meds and able to move a bit and began to enjoy my company. The 8th day I had a friend who stayed an hour; I enjoyed her visit, but an hour was almost too long for me to keep my eyes open. So keep your visits short!!

Now I have been home a week and a half and I really enjoy the phone calls, short visits, etc. But the thing is that you will still get tired quickly and need to keep everything short!!!

It is rough road to go on, but well traveled before you; I wish you well.

Deb

Comment

I was in the hospital 8 days the first time. 5 of those were in ICU. I had anterior and posterior. I had tubes running everywhere. I remember waking up from my surgery and my husband, sister-in-law and mother-in-law were there. My surgery took longer than expected so they did not want to leave my husband alone in case something happened. I barely remember being in my room or myy husband visiting me the first couple of days. I had my surgeries 2 days apart. After the second surgery which took less time than expected I remember my husband being there when I woke up but not much after that. A few days later he brought my grandkids to see me ,I know I looked awful because I still had a few tubes like my IV, catherater and chest tube. I think my arterior line was out. I wish he had not brought them but they begged him to see me. Afterwards he said he wished he had not brought them because they were worried about me afterwards.
        I know I looked awful for a long time. After my stuff was unhooked and I was able to get up on my own I looked better and felt lots better. Every day I felt stronger. It was rough to get through.

Mattie

Comment

My visitor complained about her back pain!

I will never forget, I am in the hospital a few days after surgery (that was when you could not get out of bed as you were strapped to the back of your pre-surgery body cast) and a friend of mine came to visit me. She sat on my bed and complained about her back hurting!!!! Can you imagine? When I had the partial rod removal, my roommate would call her sister in California in the middle of the night and complain to her that she couldn't sleep. Well neither could I with her talking so loud. The final one, my scapular resection, my roommate was in her late 20's but her mother was there 24/7, slept on the chair the two nights that I was there and all you heard was "mom, put my socks on, i'm cold, get me water, do this, do that" etc. It's amazing isn't it? I laugh about it now but it wasn't funny then. Enjoy your day....LYNN
          Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 08-09-2006, 04:43 PM.
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X