Weight Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain

I have read a lot about people not being able to keep weight on, however over the last year I have packed on about 40 pounds, yikes. It is mainly due to the fact that my activity level has dramatically decreased and I eat when I feel like crap. Also I don't really sleep. I joined ediets today, I guess that would be yesterday now to try to lose some of it before my surgery.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Good luck with your weight, dawney... i have a struggle with mine too... i never was able to be very active, but i had convinced myself that i was just a wimp because it hurt to run or exercise much. I thought everyone hurt like i did but they were just stronger characters to be able to handle it so well and do it anyway.. So my self-esteem was pretty low and of course people seek comfort when that is the case. It was such a revelation to me when the surgeon looked at my x-rays and MRIs and said.."You had to have been in a LOT of pain for a LONG time!" I've tried many different diets of all sorts and had limited success with them... however, key to any weight loss success is activity and so far my activity level is still lowwwwww. E-diets is supposed to be really good.... so hang in there!!

Comment

Good luck Dawney

Yes, Dawney, I would also like to be rid of this 20 extra pounds after my surgery, but I hear that it is all too easy to gain what you lose after surgery during the months of activity restrictions.

If you do diet, just be sure and eat healthy so your blood count and iron levels stay high. It's also important to keep your diet high in protein before surgery. After my son's gastrointestinal surgery, his legs swelled up like balloons and they said that it was because he needed more protein. We gave him protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc. and within the week the swelling went down!

By the way, I'm going out for dinner the night before the surgery and am NOT going to count calories for my LAST MEAL!!!

Deb

Comment

Not just Liquids???

Deb--you can go out to dinner(reg. food) the night before surgery???? No liquid diet?? In my paperwork, it says nothin' but liquids(soups allowed). They did say go ahead & have a margarita though!!! My husband did say we should go out in NYC but I can only have soup(cheap date!) Hell, I probably won't sleep well so I should go out.....Ly

Comment

Lynne,

So far the only instructions I have said nothing after midnight the night before, but I'll check with them again to make sure. For my son, it was just liquids the day before, but I thought it was because of the gastrointestinal type surgery.

If so, we'll have the dinner two nights before!!!

Deb

Surgery 7/24/06
          T65, L75

Comment

Hey Lynn,

Double check your instructions, mine was also nothing after midnight. You should eat up because you won't feel like it for a bit. I plan on toasting you the night before with a margarita as well!

Dawney and Deb,

One thing you need to remember is you won't have much of an appetite and some surplus is good. I put on 5 lbs for good measure and ended up losing a total of 18lbs! The meds killed my appetite. It was a heck of a diet plan (surgery) not that that is how you should think of it (LOL) I just thought I would share that with you. A lot of people seem to lose some weight after surgery.

Comment

I did lose some weight in the first week but it came back on and more after, hey...

But anyway, I didn't have to stop eating but was instructed to eat earlier and not too much heavy foods. This last time, it was a pain b/c I had to take a laxative(that I didn't want to). They must have had many people vomit after the surgery and that's why they want patients to be "clean" and rid of the most food. Man was I HUNGRY all night long in bed while hubby was sleeping and my stomach was hurting so bad, it was empty I much preferred the first two times when I ate, but once I did throw up after my second surgery.

If you can eat, do it, or you'll feel hungry and that's not a good thing to be on top of all the stress.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Suzy, Deb, sweetness,
                My paperwork says nothing after mid-night. But it does say eat lightly that evening.. all liquids which mean yogurt, soup, juices...,ice cream, cold cereal...ok..so I'll have some ice cream & cereal! Then a fleets enema after dinner....what a night in NYC--I can't wait...!!!! Ly http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

A Fleets nightcap??

Now wait -- does Boachie instruct patients to take an enema the night before???
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

My surgeon did not request an enema before my surgery. I ate like crazy after surgery and experienced extreme constipation after I got home from the hosptial. Many other patients who went to him had the same problem. He then started giving his patients a special diet to follow before surgery. Then the patients started having extreme dehydration after surgery and some had to be readmitted to the hosptial for dehydration. He stopped that special diet and the last I heard he has went back to the old way. It's just a no win situation.

Kindest Regards,
                    Gail

Comment

I had weight gain last year (30 lbs in less than 4 months!), but found that it was my thyroid, then I found that I needed surgery. I tried diets that have worked in the past, but didn't at that time. In May (right after the BIG news) I began the South Beach Diet. I know that it is not good for some people, but as long as I ate foods with plenty of iron, I did well on it (54 lbs!!!). I have only gained about 10 lbs back, but I ran out of my thyroid pills. Ask your doctor what he/she thinks. Listen to his/her advice! Good luck to you! I know how you feel...been there and all that. Linda

Comment

Lynne,

You have got to be kidding, an enema? Geeze, you do have to be different from the rest of us don't you. This is the first time I have seen that posted. (were you others who had to have this holding out on us? HMMM?) I guess the good news is you will start out clean and empty and won't have to worry about the dreaded constipation for a bit........... You know me I will try to find the positive in anything! LOL.

Comment

Suzy,

I didn't have to do an enema before either one of my surgeries! I guess some of us are lucky. I was all prepared to see that I would have to have one from reading the board. When I got my paperwork, there was nothing mentioned on there about it. I read that paper about 4 or 5 times because when my husband had some foot surgery done that only lasted about 3 hours he had to have one.
                          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                          Fused T2 to sacrum
                          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

sorry to be so blunt-coffee works instead of enema...

Hi suzy & all,
                            yes, I read it off my instruction sheets but I'll check at pre-op on the 27th to be sure,,,don't want to do anythg I don't really have to.... I do see why they want you to just do liquids, that's ok with me...I love soups & if my husband takes me out that night before in the city, I'm going with that & maybe a sorbet... I'd rather go that way & still get my nutrition & eat lightly..Ly ps. even though I don't like to drink coffee at night, maybe even a cup half decaf/half reg. may work instead of an enema..it's effective!

Comment

Enema, that's it...

Yeah that's what they wanted me to do this last time, but I didn't want to b/c I hadn't the first two times and I know how hungry I get and how easily I go to the bathroom. The nurse then told me to buy a laxative, and I started going at about 5 and 6 am, right before checking in and in between all the tests

I guess they change what to do from time to time and from different doctors.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X