Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery due in about 6 weeks

Hi all

My name is Karen, I am 22 and am due to have my surgery in about 6 weeks. Does anyone have any advice for me as I am really nervous? After reading through your posts I am a bit more confident, but I am still scared. I think I am most nervous of my bracing afterwards. I will have a stanmore brace for about 6 months.

Kazyn x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Hi Kazyn...

I was also really nervous going into surgery. I finally got some drugs for the last few days.

I've never heard of a Stanmore brace, and couldn't find one when I Googled the term, but if it's anything like the TLSO that I wore post-op, it really isn't that bad. I didn't like mine much in the very beginning, but I was used to wearing it after a week, and it really didn't bother me.

Best of luck with your surgery and hope you have a very rapid recovery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda

Thankyou for your kind words. It really helps to know that there are others out there who have experienced what I am and have gotten through it fine.

As far as I know the stanmore brace is named after the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stamore, England which is where I am having my op. All I know about it is that it is solid at the back and has a corset type front.

Kazyn x
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Hi Kazyn, I had to wear a brace also. My first one was uncomfortable at first and I fought with it for 2 months. I knew it did not fit right. Finally they figured out what I thought all along, it was to big because i had lost so much weight. They fitted me with a new one and it was much better. My new one was uncomfortable at first then when I got use to it it wasn't to bad. When I first had my surgery I had to wear my brace 23 hours a day. It was hard to get use to sleeping in it. I believe the Dr. called it a Boston Brace. My brace was 2 pieces, a front shell and a back shell.They fit together and velcroed to each other. After my third surgery I had to be fitted with another brace and it was all one piece and I just pulled it apart and slipped it on and it velcroed together also.After a while of wearing my brace it just became routine like any other item I had to wear. Mattie

Comment

Working...
        X