Question on Anterior and Posterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Anterior and Posterior

I am getting surgery in September, it seems like miles away yet around the corner. I go on July 5th to set up the exact date. My surgeon says he will do anterior on Wed and posterior on Friday, since that is his normal operating day. My question is what to expect betwwen the 2 surgeries. Will I be completely out of it?
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

That's exactly what my surgeon did. I actually felt pretty good, but tired. It made me not as scared to have the 2nd surgery because all went so well. Good luck!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

That"s how my Dr. did it also. I was so out of it I hardly remember those days in between. I remember they kept reminding me to push my button for pain meds. I was so out of it I would forget I guess. I do remember the nurses coming in every 2 hours and turning me from side to back then other side. I never ate anything just ice chips. I had no appetite. My first surgery was suppose to be about 3 hours and took 6. My second surgery was suppose to be 6 to 8 hours and lasted 5. The dr. had done more the first time and it took longerand that way he had less to do the second time.
      Mattie

Comment

2 stages

I did not have much pain after the first stage because they gave me epidural narcotics during the operation so I felt comfortable but tired.
        That could not be done for 2nd stage because I was fused to the sacrum.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Dawney,

My surgeries were 6 days apart and I wasn't out of it. Lots of good drugs though.

Shari

Comment

Hi Dawney,

I don't remember anything in between the surgeries. My first one was on a Thursday and the second on on Monday. My family tells me I was talking to them and eating but no matter how hard I search my mind I can't find memories of it. I think that is a good thing.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks for the info. I go to my surgeon next Wednesday to start scheduling stuff. I don't know how much stuff there will be but I guess a good bit. He will do the surgeries two days apart.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Dawney, I had lots of things scheduled before my surgery. It took me about 3 months or so to get it all done. My Dr. wanted to make sure I was in good shape medically before he would even schedule surgery. Good Luck....Mattie

Comment

Working...
                X