Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you eat..the most of in the hospital????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you eat..the most of in the hospital????

Ok another question I'm just plain curious about... what did you eat in the hospital??? I know it's ice chips to begin with, but what about after the first few 'morphine' days?
    I know when I fist gave birth to my son, I was asked by the nurse what I wanted & I was so dry & thirsty, dying for a Coke! I drank it down in minutes! Bad, I know..sugar!!!

I was in the hospital for just about 2 weeks. I think that it was actually 12 days. I developed an ilieus so didn't get to really eat. Kept getting very saltly broth. The second time, at my pre-op, I told them no broth. I had oatmeal or some kind of hot cereal. I left the hospital to quick the second time that we never got around to adjusting the menu until I came home. The surgery was Thursday morning, I went home Sunday morning.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

eating in the hospital......

Well my first 3 days i wanted nothing but ice. I had no appetite what so ever.Just wanted to sleep.I was not hungry untill like the 4th day at least. They were bringing me the broth and jello everyday from day one.I passed i think untill i took my iv out and got rid of the drip.Then i started on the broth with crackers.I actually enjoyed it.I had ice cream a few times and by breakfast day 4ish i had a bagel/cream cheese and a bit of pancakes. BIG MISTAKE! It tasted great but my body was not ready for real food yet.I did not know yet and at lunch i had grilled cheese a salad and a piece of pie. ( just bites of each not the whole servings )Dinner i nibbled on some mashed potatoes and stuffing.I tried to drink soda but it would make me hicup and it really hurt my side and more.Switched to fruit punch real quick. By the next day i was soooooo bloated i could not stand it.I was afraid of food for the next two days untill lots of gas pills and laxatives stepped in I then went back to the broth and crackers.Then when i thought it was safe ( which it was not ) i started regular food again,pancakes,macaroni,salad,bagles,pasta they had a decent menu each day.It took like 2wks.for my body to adjust to food.It was very rough.And i took everything i could everyday,gas pills,stool softeners,laxatives and i was still in alot of stomach pain.Take it easy and slow with food. TRUST ME!
      Stephanie
      T11 to L3 ...... 6-05-06...45 to 10 degrees! yeah
      Stephanie
      T11 to L3
      1 rib removed
      June 5, 2006

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I was only allowed liquids until I passed a bubble. That took me a couple of days. No big deal, I wasn't in the mood to eat anyways. Once I had burst that bubble, I was able to order anything on the menu.

Shari

Comment

I didn't eat for the first few days (3) because they kept me so sedated (sp?) due to the fluid in my lung and low blood oxygen levels. I did sip some water occassionally, but I wasn't really awake enough to want anything else. Once I was awake enough, all I wanted was ice cream and ginger ale. After that, I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted, but it wasn't until day 6 that I really started eating full meals. Then I choose Raisin Bran & tea for breakfast & grilled cheese with tomato soup for lunch and dinner (it was the safe bet) and although the hospital had a huge selection of food, I really just wanted that grilled cheese!

Sometimes I would be too tired from walking to eat a meal, but the hospital had a kitchenette on my floor that was stocked with ice cream, sodas, milk and Carnation instant breakfast, so I could always have a snack when I was hungry. I didn't experience any sickness from eating anything mentioned above.

Comment

Be very careful about eating too many ice chips in the first few days. You're almost certainly be very dry and want to drink something. But, it's very common for scoliosis surgery patients to develop an ilieus (bowel obstruction) (not sure how to spell it, and couldn't find it in a medical dictionary) if you consume anything before your bowels start working again. As Theresa can probably testify, everyone that described it to me told me that it was more painful than their spine or incisions.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I ate very light the first few days and then just chose items off their menu.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Even ice chips?

Linda -- even ice chips can cause illeus?? I would think you'd be so dry the teeny bit of moisture in an ice chip wouldn't hurt. Anyway, isn't food and/or liquid intake policed by doctors and nurses in the first few days post-op? Depending on whether or not your bowels are making any noise??

(I've been reading so much about all of this crap I feel like I should just go out and get my MD and perform my own surgery.....!!!!! )
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Singer, you made me LMAO with the comment about so much research..... That is good you know so much, hopefully no surprises!

Hey Lynn, you won't want to eat the first few days (or ever if you're like me at 4 months still no appetite.) just sleep. I couldn't believe when they finally brought me food (after they heard bowel noises) it was a normal meal! All I wanted was soup. Also, the food nazi would drop my plate on the table that was no where near my bed and wonder why I hadn't eaten when she stopped by to pick it up later! Those of you who got jello and ice cream and could order off the menu.............you must have been in a 5 star hospital!

Comment

When I was in the hospital they gave me ice chips. I had a lot of nausea from anesthesia. About the only thing I could eat was ice chips for 4 or 5 days. Then it was jello and broth. I had no appetite at all. I lost lots of weight after surgery. I don't know how many cups of ice I ate but it was lots.
                    Mattie

Comment

This I shall remember!!!!!!!

wow-Linda Racine- I have to say that I will take that information right to the hospital! The flag went up on that one! I've had problems after the birth of my son with constipation & no kidding, digestive problems can be the worse of it all... I'm holding out.......LY
                      aug 1st ant/post at HSS
                      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 06-24-2006, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I also didn't eat for the first two days at least-until I passed gas. For two of my surgeries I asked for a laxative and I go easily so after I couldn't stop going, seriously it was not fun but better than being constipated. I also peed a lot, I guess the IV makes you eliminate a lot and the anesthetics smell bad.

I ate slowly and not too much, but a bit of everything in my plate wich was the normal hospital food. This last time I loved how the menu worked. It was a huge menu with just about everything on it to choose from(even light and vegetarian dishes), just like in a restaurant, and I could order ANYTIME I wanted, at any hour I wanted if I wasn't hungry on the normal hours.

The first few days when I was SO thirsty were extremely hard, IMO. It was one of the worse things to experience from the surgery in my case and I drank small sips of water but man did I want to drink a tall glass of cold water bad.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was in for 18 days and honestly, I ate nothing but jello until the last two days I was there. Then I ate an omelet for breakfast, soup and Boost drinks.
                          I couldn't stomach any food at all for the whole time I was there and about 1 week after I came home. Then I ate nothing but hot pockets and lean pockets because everthing else made me gag at the smell.
                          I was on keflex for a UTI which I got while in the hospital, and that upsets your stomach really bad.
                          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                          Curve post op = 20 degrees
                          No pain anymore!!
                          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I started eating the morning after my surgery. I ate everything on my plate! I was crying the morning after my surgery because I was going to have to wait for breakfast and I was starving. After that day they hand delivered my breakfast as soon as the kitchen opened each moring. I couldn't get enough to eat! But, after I got home I went through weeks of extreme constipation!

Kindest regards,
                            Gail

Comment

Ice chips

Forgot to say that I didn't get much ice chips, just the sponge in the water, maybe that's better for the stomach, dunno.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X