Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campbell Clinic & Dr. Keith Williams

Hey!

My husband & I went to Campbell Clinic in Memphis, TN on Friday, June 16th. I had not been to a Orthopaedic Dr that specialized in Scoliosis, since I was 14 or 15.
    I was interested in surgery & wanted to know if I would be a good candidate for the surgery or not.
    I took my MRI and CAT Scan that had done in 2004. When I got there, after I had seen the Surgeon's resident; they did new X-rays. Because, I didn't have any regular X-rays & bending x-rays. I then saw the Dr., which I had never seen before. He talked to me & my husband a whole lot. I do indeed have Adolescent/Idiopathic Scoliosis. My T1-T5 curve is 42 degrees & the compensatory curve is 25 degrees.
    He told me that I am indeed a good candidate for the surgery; but after talking to him for a while, I decided to hold off on having the surgery.
    He started on Arthrotec 50, twice a day & a bunch of stretching and strenghtening exercises. I was taking Celebrex, which he took me off of.
    I've already got set-in arthritis in my spine, where the curves are. He also told me that my curve is not one of the everyday "Scoliosis" Curves. He said that even with surgery, I would not be totally straight; but that I would be straightER. Also, the arthritis would still be there & I could develop problems below & above the fused area.

In 8 weeks, I am scheduled to got to go back; if the medicine & exercises are not helping. If they are helping, I go back in a year; to get a check up and see if my curves have progressed any.

I probably won't have surgery, until I get so bad that I can't get around and do the things that I like to do. For now, I can do pretty much what I want to do, I just hurt more.

But, if anyone lives in North Mississippi or Tennessee, this Dr. Keith Williams is a Great Surgeon to go to.

Thanks,
    Kim
    Kim
    Tupelo, MS
    42 degree curve T1-T5
    25 degree compensatory curve
    Diagnosed @ 14 or 15
    Treating with meds & exercising

I'm glad that you have a good ortho and that he told you about the risks of surgery. I did take some Arthrotec once and boy that stuff was strong, and developped some bad symptoms and had to stop taking it but it helps for the pain a lot.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
    X