scheuremann's kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scheuremann's kyphosis

Hello everyone, I am lost and need advice on making a decision of doing the surgery to straiten my spine with metal rods and screws. I have a 70 degree curve in my upper back, so my upper back bends forward more than normal. I've seen 7 orthopedic surgeons, and 4 out of 7 told me I should do the surgery now, so I don't risk my spine getting worse in the future and also because its better to do surgery when your young(i'm22yrs old.). The other 3 told me if i'm not suffering from to much pain I don't have to do the surgery, but say I'm a candidate for the surgery since the curve reached 70 degrees. The curve stopped at 70 degrees the past 4 years. My back hurts me a few hours a day, but I stand and sit uncomfortable most of the day. I would love to get advice from someone who has had kyphosis and did the surgery.
    Thanks
    Last edited by tony; 06-18-2006, 06:29 PM.

Hi Tony
    I had an 80 degree curve, I am now 3 1/2 months post op and doing well, my spine is really straight and my recovery hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I had an anterior and posterior fusion, I had key hole for the anterior bit so my scars are really small and I have got a scar right down my back from the posterior incision but it has healed really well and already starting to fade. I am driving and doing light exercise now and I am going back to work part time next week. I saw 4 surgeons, 2 said I shouldn't have it and 2 said I should so I bit the bullet and did why I was still young. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to answer them

Stell

Comment

for Stell

Stell,

Did any one talk about you being young for surgery? Some doctors have opinion that it should be done at later years as with time discs adjacent to fusion tend to wear out.

What is measure of your curve now

thanks

Comment

Hi

Im 28 now and my age was mentioned in a positive way, they said I would have a better recovery and it may prevent problems in later life.

Stell

Comment

Hi Tony-I have 85% kyphosis & am going for surgery this August 1st. So it won't be long now.. I'll keep you posted, Lynne
          thorocolumbar curve 95%/ fusion from T-2 to sacrum

Comment

Strange

Originally posted by Stell
            Hi

Im 28 now and my age was mentioned in a positive way, they said I would have a better recovery and it may prevent problems in later life.

Stell
            Strange, I was told not to think about surgery as with time adjacent discs deteriorate and that area has to be fused eventually

Comment

Working...
            X