Awakened during surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakened during surgery

Just woundered if any had this done to them. My last surgery was over 15 hours. Thet went threw the front first and lasted 5+ hours. Before they buttened me up and rolled me over they brought me around enough to see if I would or could move my toes and fingers. I actually can remember doing it. Something went wrong with the nerve monitor thingee and there you have it. The other kool thing they did this time was to take out a complete rib to use for grafting. That has been the most painful thing to rehab out of everything that was done. The first time bone was taken from my hip. To this day I have un real pain in that hip.
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Yep!

I remember, to this day... being awakened during/right after my surgery. Granted.. mine was back in 1975! I know that I remember being suspended in the air... and, they asked me to wiggle my toes.

They say I cussed at them... that part, I don't remember!

Praying you heal quickly! *hug*

Comment

Hi...

If you remembered the wakeup test, then I think you have a beef with your anesthesiologist. I had the wakeup test, but don't remember it. Some doctors still use it.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
        Thank god you said you don't remember it! Did they tell you that it would happen/or just told you after??? Ly

Comment

Hi...

Yes, I knew that they were going to do the wakeup test.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
            Hi...

I had the wakeup test, but don't remember it. Some doctors still use it.

--Linda

So Linda, would you say that most doctors do NOT use it any more today and if so what are the extra risks with it. The surgeon at Shriners said they would do it with my daughter. I had never heard of it before.
            Thanks,
            Pola

Comment

Good Lord, some of you FELT IT??? Thank God I didn't... but does it feel painful(I doubt it, no?)

I was told this last time before hand they would do it. At the pre op I asked an anesthesiologist and he said no, but right before surgery I met my new anesthesiologist and he said yes. He told me that he would say, and I quote:

A: "Nancy, we're going to ask you to wiggle your feet and toes, ok?
              Me:wiggling toes and feet
              A: "Nancy, now grab my hands AS hard as you can, ok?"
              Me:Grabs hands.

Dont remember any of it, as they assured me.

I still don't know if they did this test the first surgery b/c this last time they told me that each doctor is different and they don't all do it. They also told me that they grabbed my body and shook me to see if all the screws were not loose.
              Last edited by sweetness514; 06-11-2006, 02:07 PM.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi...

I don't think there's any conclusive research. The alternative is somatosensory evoked potentials, where they measure the electrical signal between the patient's head and their feet. Many surgeons use both.

Regards,
                Linda

Comment

wake-up test

I read my operative report. I DID have the wake-up test--do not remember it.

My spinal nerves were also monitored (called evoked sensory potential).

Here's a link explaining:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...are/eeg-ep.cfm
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I really am to curious not to read this stuff....but it really spooks me out big time!

Comment

I remember waking up and feeling like I was choking. I remember pointing to my throat and my Dr. nodding his head and that's all I remember.

Shari

Comment

I was awakened too

I had anterior/posterior spinal fusion on Dec 1 & 6 at Univ. Calif, San Francisco and both times they told me they would wake me while under anesthesia and ask me to move my toes, they did but I don't remember. I had 5 other spine surgeries before this one and they did it then too, different doctor in Las Vegas. I was a little concerned I would feel something but I believe the majority of people do not feel or remember it at all. Seems pretty standard procedure.

I was on so much medication for really bad pain I guess that I actually do not remember the first 12 days in the hospital....I remember about the last 6 or 7.

Good luck to you everyone.
                        Kim
                        35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
                        *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
                        *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
                        *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
                        *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
                        *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

I remember the wake up test they asked me to wriggle my toes

Comment

I don't remember the Wake-up Test... musta slept thru it.... harharhar...

I do remember having the ESP thing that Karen was talking about though... still have 3 snake-bite looking places on each leg (3 diff surgeries) from the electrodes.

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnn5
                              I don't remember the Wake-up Test... musta slept thru it.... harharhar...

I do remember having the ESP thing that Karen was talking about though... still have 3 snake-bite looking places on each leg (3 diff surgeries) from the electrodes.
                              I missed the esp thing. What was that?
                              March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                              15 1/2 Hours
                              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X