No announcement yet.

torso rotation exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got the exercises yesterday (surprise!).

Sherie - and anyone else - Where can I find examples of these exercises? My daughter is 12 with S curve t20 l30 and she wears the Charleston brace. I cannot find any examples or suggestions of exercises that we could be doing at home. I asked the doctor about PT which he obliged, however the PT gave us more of a pep talk rather than specific exercises (she gave us two exercises). I am basically going crazy because I want this fixed and I want it fixed now but I realize it's not that simple. We have about two years left of growth to work with and I've heard bits and pieces of how strength and conditioning helps but I can't find specific exercises. Help -anyone?

Comment

if you go through every post in this thread (and there aren't that many) you should find anything you need (post 17 and 18 give link to article with description of exercises)

gerbo

Comment

Cat,
        The exercises that were given to us are mostly stretches. The ones I can easily describe are plies (ballet movement with feet shoulder width apart, feet turned out, and bend at the knees 10x/twice daily), and shoulder stretches (stand about a foot away facing a corner with 2 solid walls, place arms at a 90 deg. bend with hands pointing up towards ceiling, one on each wall at comfortable height, then lean in towards corner, should feel a good stretch in front shoulders). Sorry that's the best I can describe. He also recommended a psoas strengthening exercise but you would need to determine which is weaker (have you child lie on back, have them bend each knee towards the head as you resist with your hand, do this for both sides, you should be able to feel that one leg is weaker, but ask your dr. to make sure). Go to sacrowedgy.com to find this stretch (I am also thinking of getting this little device for the psoas). I think this is especially good if your daughter has a lumbar curve.
        Hope this helps, we have joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to help us, she's getting some info from a phys. therapy clinic where she volunteers so is going to customize a workout for my daughter.

Good luck
        Sherie

Comment

Gerbo,

Is your daughter wearing her brace during the workout?

We were told to wear it during any exercise but the personal trainer had a different perspective and now I'm not sure. She said the brace may not be allowing for a full range of motion and may also be providing too much support so that the exercise isn't working to full potential (hope that makes sense).

Sherie

Comment

she doesn't, although i thought there was some logic in her wearing it. She refused this as she is quite bodyconscious. Ofcourse, if you talk about the torsorotation, that was done originally without additional bracing of any kind!

I wouldn't worry about it either way.

gerbo

Comment

The first of the following abstracts is interesting as it comes from a "reliable source" and confirms what has been stated before re rotational strength being weaker towards the concave side

Furthermore, the second abstract confirms findings by vert mooney; i.e. rotational strength training halts or reverses progression

Note though that studygroup is very small

Comparison of Isometric Trunk Rotational Strength of Adolescents with Idiopathic Scoliosis to Healthy Adolescents
              Kevin McIntire, Marc Asher, Doug Burton, Wen Liu

Abstract

Trunk rotational strength asymmetry has been suggested in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis (IS), but is unconfirmed. The sitting isometric trunk rotational strength, at neutral and 18°or 36°of right or left pre-rotation, of a group of healthy adolescent females (CG), n=12, is compared with a group of female adolescents with IS (ISG), n= 14. Torque values were normalized to lean body weight. There is a significant weakness when rotating towards the concavity found in patients with AIS at the 36 lo (p 0.07 marginal), 18 lo (p<0.03) and neutral positions (p<0.02), with no side strength asymmetry found in a cohort of healthy adolescents without AIS.

Trunk Rotational Strength Training for the Management of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS)
              Kevin Mcintire, Marc Asher, Doug Burton, Wen Liu

Abstract

Quantified trunk rotational strength training has shown promise as a non-operative management option for individuals with AIS. The purposes of our study are to test whether a quantified trunk rotational strength training protocol can increase trunk strength and stabilize or decrease curve size. Seven adolescents with AIS (5 female 2 male; mean 14yrs ± 2.6yrs; mean Cobb 28°± 6° range 20°–37°) underwent four months of supervised trunk rotational strength training, and repeat strength test. Trunk strength in both directions increased significantly after training (p<0.05). Average Cobb angle decreased to 23°± 11° (range 6°–35°). Four individuals showed reduction (>5°) in their original curve, and 3 remained the same (±5°). The strength training protocol significantly increased isometric rotational strength and scoliosis was stabilized short term.

Comment

Thanks Gerbo

Very encouraging results! I wonder why the study only lasted 4 months? I'll look up the full article when I have a chance.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

See my experience with the Medx machines in another thread here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...3172#post53172

I conclude that they can be very good tools for treating scoliotically-imbalanced muscles but you have to be careful.

Comment

Working...
                  X