Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is possible??

Hey-
    It is all possible for you to develope scoliosis in another area after you have already have had the surgery on a section of your spine and its fused?? I have had three surgeries now on the thoracic area and it for the most part(besides maybe one vertebra is fused). I went to the chriopractor last week for a kink in my neck that i have been having for quite awhile now and he needed to take x-rays. My x-rays seem to show a curve now in the lumbar area of my spine...with my three surgeries my back was pretty much completely straight, and now, it looks to be completely crooked!! I dont go to my doctor for my one year check up until june and im starting to freak out. If i have to have surgery will they have to fuse my whole spine?? Will i be able to live a normal life with having that much of my spine fused??? Hopefully someone out there can help me out.

-Abby Jo
    18 year old female
    scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
    corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
    After second surgery, fusion was a success.
    Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
    Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Abby Jo, to answer your question, yes it is possible to develop a curve above or below your fusion. If the curve is small they may not need to do anything with it, but if it gets too big and starts causing pain and the such they may start looking into possibly bracing, physical therapy, etc to begin with. If you have to have more surgery somewhere down the line you can still lead a normal life. I am fused T4-L2 and still have lots of mobility. It is not as bad as you may think. Good luck. Dont worry too much.
    Mandy

Comment

Abby Jo,

My 14 y.o. daughter is fused from T3-L2 and at her six month post-op appointment, we discovered some Kyphosis above her fusion in the cervical area. I agree with Mandy, being fused to L2 isn't really an issue when it comes to mobility.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
      X