Welcome to "Dressing Your Curves"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to "Dressing Your Curves"

Welcome to this new topic titled, “Dressing Your Curves”. I am pleased to introduce Moira Lion, a young woman from California who wore a brace for her scoliosis. Moira’s struggles with her brace, her clothes and her self image resulted in the writing and publication of her brochure, “Fashion Rescue”. Moira will moderate this topic which we hope will be a great way for all teenagers, braced and un-braced, to talk about their fears, concerns, and needs regarding their body image and their clothing and share their fashion ideas to make life a little easier for everyone living with scoliosis.
    Best Regards,

JOB

Here's a couple of links that might interest some, it gives more info on the types of braces (especially the older ones) and also has various stories

http://milwaukee.brace.nu/ The main site

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...65746422AmhlYx

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...65746422ulNVfr
    These are a couple of pictures of four girls wearing two different braces, on top of their clothes. I don't know if the braces were for any of them, but check out the wild patterns in the molded plastic girdles - a good incentive to show off the brace! Open the window to full size and you'll get larger images that are easier to see the details.

Comment

Hi! I'm Moira...

*** Hey...I'm Moira and I'm 16 years old from California and have scoliosis.*
      ** I heard about my aggressive scoliosis when I was a freshman in high
      school which proved to be highly emotional for me.* When I first started
      at my high school, I did not know anyone. As hard as it was, I
      managed to make new friends.* I met many new people because I played
      volleyball.* Toward the end of the volleyball season, I was hit with the
      news that I had to wear a back brace.* I could not believe it.* I was just
      starting to find my place at school, and now I had to worry about
      wearing an uncomfortable and indiscreet brace.* This news completely
      affected me from an emotional standpoint.* I was not playing volleyball
      very well because the only thing on my mind was how to react to the
      news:* How could this happen to me?* Would I have to have surgery if
      my spine keeps changing so aggressively?* How will people react to
      this? Would I have to quit volleyball? And, what was I going to wear? I
      felt like I was on the verge of tears every second of the day.
      * ** A huge part of my day to day feelings had to do with what I was
      going to wear.* Ever since I was little, I had always been interested in
      fashion.* I have always loved wearing clothes, shopping for clothes, and
      even designing clothes.* Because of this brace, I could not wear certain
      clothes while keeping the brace hidden.*Although it was quite a
      challenge, I was determined to find clothes that would make me look the
      same as everyone else in school.* These feelings are what inspired me to
      write a "Fashion Rescue" booklet to help other girls that might have
      similar feelings to me. The first day I started wearing my brace to
      school, no one even noticed.* I was wearing a sweatshirt and pants.*
      Luckily, I had all of winter to get used to wearing my brace at school.*
      I was so worried about what I would wear in hot weather, though, because
      the brace traps in body heat.* How was I going to hide my brace while
      staying cool in the hot weather we receive in California?* In the
      booklet "Fashion Rescue" I have explained some tips for clothing choices
      to girls who must wear back braces in hot or all weather.
      * ** I decided not to tell very many people about what I was going
      through.* The few close friends that I did tell did not even go to my
      high school.* I did not want people to treat me differently, whether it
      be in a positive way or negative way.* I wanted to convince myself and others that I was as regular as any other high school girl.* Eventually, people found out about my brace because they touched me and I would tell them.* I grew to be more open about it and in a particular situation would tell people about it.* Many friends that I told already knew someone who had to wear a back brace, too.* Some people I had heard of, in this same
      situation, did tell their friends and were very open about the whole
      thing, but everyone is different in what they decide to do.
      * ** Now that I have stopped wearing my brace, although I prepared
      myself for a longer amount of time, I feel relieved because my back
      seems to be stable at the moment. Throughout the time that I wore my
      brace, I was always searching for answers about why this
      happened. Whenever I was talking to friends, family, or even strangers
      about their personal problems, I would compare my situation to theirs.*
      I came to the conclusion that everyone has great challenges at some time
      in their lives, some much harder than this and others easier.* This was
      mine.* I have always had such a strong interest in fashion and this
      situation has made my interest stronger.* I have learned how to be more
      creative with clothes and accessories.* My hope that wearing the brace
      would soon be over and creativity got me through my challenging experience.
      * ** All teenage girls and even "tweens" are interested in looking
      presentable, whether they are obsessive about clothes or just want to
      look normal.* I found that girls like us are put into this kind of
      situation for various reasons, but we are young women who can handle the
      challenge and should not give up.* Wearing this brace has helped me become confident in handling life's challenges and even more passionate about pursuing my interests.* My best advice: be strong, get creative and
      don't lose hope!

Comment

One more thing about Fashion Rescue Booklet

If you want a copy of the Fashion Rescue Booklet you can download it from the Homepage under "Resources". ATTENTION: I noticed a couple of pages are missing from the posted booklet. You can ALSO download the entire booklet from the website www.scoliosislinks.com. It is on that website too!
        Write to me any time if you have any questions or just need to talk!
        Sincerely,
        Moira

Comment

i dont see the point of this thread... no ones posting hello
          ~Wanda~
          40TL curve pre op
          Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
          San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
          June 7, 2006
          post op curve: 16

Comment

I think most teens are acutely aware of the fashion issues they face. Have you looked at the pamphlet? It is excellent. I plan to have my ten year old look at it before we shop for summer clothes. Even she is very self concious about her brace showing.
            I haven't posted before, but I have read the material and am grateful for it.
            Thank you Joe and Moira.
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Thank you for your kind compliment. I am glad you are finding this thread useful. Tell your daughter that if she has any questions about clothing or anything to do with the brace, I would be happy to answer them. It might be helpful considering I responded to the brace in a similar, self-conscious way.

ScoliGal: I'm sorry you do not see the point in this thread, but as long as it is helping some people I feel that it is a necessity.

Moira

Comment

clothes for the winter

hey
                since i live in nh and fall and winter is coming i have been thinkin about what i should where. i got my boston brace this june and have been wearing a lot of skirts and shorts this summer but i don't really want to just wear sweat pants all winter. should i try some jeans? i tried on some and they don't look that bad but u can see my butt being squeezed at the bottom the brace really well. i'm normally a 0 but in my brace im a 3.
                WHAT CAN I WEAR THIS WINTER????
                LIBBY

14 yrs old
                28 t
                29 L before brace
                right now: 21 L
                now i'm doing basketball, ballet, and piano

Comment

Now its getting colder im wearing jeans n 3 quarter lengths. You have 2 choose the type carefulli just try on loads! At least one pair will look good. If you wear a chunky belt around your hips it does draw the attention away from the way the brace 'squashes' your bum lol. Hope dis helped mayb a lil bit...mayb.

Comment

Hi I am just new to the forum and my 11 yo daughter has recently started wearing the tlso brace which she will wear 23/7. We are from Australia and it is coming up to summer which will be very hot. I have also realised that none of her clothes such as jeans, fitted t shirts and dresses will fit so we will have to work out what to wear that is fashionable and also hides the brace a bit as she is conscious of it naturally. She wears a uniform to school and thankfully that seems to be okay. I will definitely be reading your book and thank you very much for the effort and advice,
                    all the best to everyone...Melinda.

Comment

Hi all!

Libby: For me, winter was the best time of year for clothes. I first got my brace in the winter time so it was nice to get used to it then (instead of the hot spring and summer we receive out here in California) because being able to wear layers hid my brace well. For pants, I found that if the back of them had pockets with flaps, they often covered where the brace squeezed and creased my butt, which disguised it to look rounder. Also, longer jackets, sweatshirts, and shirts help cover it if they go below where the brace ends. I hope these tips help!

Melinda: Welcome to the forum! I hope all of the tips from everyone on the site will help you and your daughter get through this challenging time. If you or your daughter ever have any questions especially about clothes or need advice on anything don't hesitate to ask!

Comment

Help!!

Hi my name is katya and i wear the bosten brace ive been wearing it since last decmber and i got a new one yester day. i live in florida so it is really hot i also have a school uniform and because i dont want everyone to know i have a brace i end up wearing an undershirt under my brace, my brace, another undershirt to keep the straps down and hide the bottom of it, then my school shirt, and then a sweeter or sweetshirt i need help!!
                        Katya

im wearing a bosten brace i had a 27 degree curve when i went into my brace and now with the brace in i have a 11 degree curve i got a new brace yester day and its killing me

Comment

Working...
                        X