worried sick mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried sick mom

My 13 yr old daughter has a high thoracic curve, last time measured at 26*. She is prementrual. Is anyone aware of bracing for this type of high curve other than the Milwaukee brace? I'm wondering if there will be any other options for her other than the Milwaukee. We go back to the doctors in May to be checked again. I'd appriciate any advice as I am feeling very stressed out about this. Thanks.

another question

For those who have worn or are wearing the Milwaukee- will my daughter be able to continue in physical activities such as dance, cheerleading? How about swimming? I'm probably jumping the gun but I want to be as prepared as I can in order to help her adjust.

Comment

Encouraging Words

My daughter is wearing a Boston not a Milwaukee brace. Our doctor really encouraged swimming. She was cheerleading at the time she was diagnosed in 8th grade. He wouldn't let her out of it to cheer so she quit. She has to wear it 23 hrs a day. I'ts been a challenge to keep her active. We joined the YMCA and encourage her to invite friends when we go. Keep asking questions and I know their are many out there who can help. I was so stressed in the beginning, so worried! But it's been little easier as the months go by and it seems to her body began to adjust to the brace and physically it got a little better. I hope in some way I can encourage you!!!!!!!

Comment

One worried Mom to another

My daughter is 12 and like your daughter has a high curve. She tried wearing a Milwaukee brace and didn't do so well with it. She just received a Boston brace yesterday. We recently switched doctors and now we've gotten mixed and confusing information. First doctor prescribed the Milwaukee because he felt it was the best option. The new doctor NEVER prescribes a Milwaukee brace! So, now what do we do? Since she was having such a hard time with the Milwaukee, I feel that if she can wear the Boston brace and get some results from it, than that's much better than doing nothing. The gentleman who makes her braces still agrees with the first doctor that she really needs a Milwaukee, but also agrees with me, that a Boston brace is better than no brace. By the way, her cure is 34 degrees. He did add some extra pads to her brace to help as much as possible. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
        Mary Lou

Comment

worried mom

Thanks for responding! This forum is helping alot since there is no one that I know that is dealing with this. I am definitely hoping for the lower profile boston brace. The milwaukee wont do much good if she wont wear it! Let me know, MaryLou, how you end up making out with the Boston brace. My email is smb1562@aol.com if you feel like emailing me. If not, I'll keep checking this website. Thanks alot, I don't feel so alone. Stacy

Comment

Hi, I just thought I would share our experience with bracing so far. My daughter has a thoracic curve of 36 with an apex at T 8. Our doctor says that this is a high curve as well. She wears a TLSO (thoracic, lumbar,scacral orthotic). The orthotist has combined the purpose of the boston brace with a modified action of the Charleston bending brace. Her brace is not nearly as bent as the traditional Charleston brace though. She also has a lumbar curve of 33. At our last visit with the orthopedic and the orthotist (they were both present) I had lots of questions about the brace and they both believed that this was the best treatment for her back. She was diagnosed in August 2003 and has had some growth of about 1-2 inches in height. Thankfully the curve did not progress since then.. She wears the brace a minimum of 18 hours and tries to get more hours on days she can. We have also started working with a certified Pilates instructor (authentic Pilates) privately 2 times a week. Hopefully the good strengthening and stretching will keep her nice and fit! It seems that with some of the movements I can just visualize those strong muscles pulling and supporting her spine. Also Catherine is 12 and is pre mens.
            Kim
            Kim

Comment

Stacy and others, I forgot to ask if you all know which vertebra the orthopedic measured your girls' apices. Also, Stacy I understand what you mean about freaking out. I was pretty devastated when I found out about the whole picture. But I can tell you that with lots of prayer and time the worry has turned into more faith and action. I too would love to encourage you!
              Kim
              Kim

Comment

worried mom

thankyou Kim for your info, I appreciate it! I am trying to be as educated as I can about the brace options. My daughter is very active and I hate for her to have to give up all of her activities. Did your doctor inititially recommend the milwaukee? I'm guessing that our doctor will recommend that but I really want to look into any other possible options that may be less confining. Keep in touch, it makes feel better to hear from people with experience in this. Stacy

Comment

Hi Stacy,

We actually got a second opinion and are staying with the second doctor. Neither one prescribed the Milaukee although they did speak of its existence and use. Both orthopedics recommended the TLSO. I think when it came down to it they both realized that compliance outweighed the possible additional benefit of the Milaukee. Do you know the apex of your daughter's thoracic curve? As I said before, Catherine's is t-8 . It is my understanding that t-8 is considered high and right at the cutoff for the Boston style brace.

I just went back and reread your initial post. Are you saying that she has a 26 curve and they are waiting till May to decide on a brace? Or is she in the Milaukee now?

Kim
                  Kim

Comment

Worried Moms

Kimber~You asked all of us what the apex of our children's curves were-I'm sorry to say I'm not sure. Here's what the doctor's report stated: T2 to T7-26*; T7 to L1-36* (right Thoracic); and from L1 to L5-20*. She also has Kyphosis from T2 to T12 of 79*. From my understanding, she was prescribed a Milwaukee brace more for the Kyphosis rather than the Scoliosis. Hope that answers your question. If not, write back and I'll try to answer more for you.

Stacy~I will e-mail you and give you more of a detailed story which would be too long to go into here. Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,
                      Your daughter's curve does sound more complex. I have heard that the brace for the kyphosis is the Milaukee. I truly hope that her bracing will be successful in preventing any progression.
                      Kim
                      Kim

Comment

Working...
                      X