Shriners at Springfield, Massachussets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bracing

Maria: The orthopedic surgeon said she has a 50/50 chance of continuing to curve; and your right about conflicting signs, although, maybe her cycle was delayed because of the scoliosis. No wonder I'm confused. Megan

Comment

Hi Megan,

Sounds like maybe he's not totally sure that she's done growing, which would explain why he wants her to wear a hard brace. Hopefully you will get clarification from him or another doctor.

You should also try to touch base with Melissa, her user name is Matjesnic (Hi Melissa!!) - Her daughter is 13 and almost finished growing, with curves around 40 I believe. She's in the Spinecor and they are hoping this will help prevent further curvature, in which case she can hopefully avoid surgery.

Good luck,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

bracing

Maria: I have managed to talk the local Swedish Hosp. orthotics guy to possible brace Olivia with Spinecor. He has used it in the past, but said it was hard to get parts both times I asked for it before. Thanks to LATigner I found out that parts shouldn't be hard to get.

She will have a supine x-ray as well as standing x-rays done Wed. the 14th. Then the ortho guy and Dr. Dales will decide. The ortho guy said they like to see 50% correction. I told him I'll be happy with any correction that holds her. Dr. Dales had recommended a hard brace, and said that Spinecor wouldn't hold a 45 degree curve. I don't think he's worried about her becoming unstable. I'm arguing that she is flexible. Her back looks straight when on her side or tummy. Is is unreasonable to think it will hold because of her flexibility? It kind of feels like an uphill battle with these two and the only reason I'm continuing is because it's a ferry boat ride away to Seattle and I know they have 2 boxes of Spinecor sitting in the office. Sorry for the ramble- Magestic do you have advice? Megan

Comment

Megan,

I'm not sure what you should do. My daughter just turned 12 and was in the Spinecor for 7 months before her period.

You really don't know what the potential is until you fit her with the Spinecor and take an x-ray. Nicole's doctors were happy with the in-brace correction. Both her 40 degree curves went down 10 degrees. But the doctors don't hold out much hope for any great correction. They just want Spinecor to hold the curve over the next few years. They said maybe we can get her down to 35 degrees.

Most of the growth now will be slow growth, not any major growth spurt. So I believe the Spinecor can do okay with that.

Good luck to you. Get lots of opinions if possible.

I haven't read your past posts, but have you contacted the orthos in Montreal? If not, I would at least place a call to them.

Melissa
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

bracing

Matjesnic: Olivia has a 40-45 degree thoracic lumbar and a mid-thoracic of 24. I have reached Dr. Rivard and need to send a reduced x-ray to him via e-mail. (x-rays have been all over & I haven't been able to produce a clear copy.)

If the Seattle ortho isn't listed as a provider with Spinecor I wonder if he is certified to fit. (or would they just drop their names if they haven't ordered for a while?) Megan

Comment

Working...
            X