Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Treatment comes to USA

Scoliosis Treatment comes to USA

The Schroth Method has finally come to the the US with the opening of Scoliosis Rehab Inc. (www.scoliosisrehab.com). I am an 18 year old from the US and two years ago I traveled to Barcelona, Spain to learn the Schroth Method for treating scoliosis. I worked with the Internationally renowned Dr. Rigo and certified therapists to learn the exercises that were specifically tailored to help treat my scoliosis (as they are for every patient).

I have a right thoracic curve of 30degrees(cobb angle) and a left lumbar curve of 27degrees(cobb angle), and while that isn't large enough to require surgery, when I stood in front of the bathroom mirror I could tell that I was standing crooked. I felt like I was standing straight, but I wasn't. My hips were shifted noticeably to the right and when I bent over at the waist there was a hump on the right side of my ribs. This uneven rotation was caused by the scoliosis, which is a 3-D problem. I had been wearing a Boston Brace from the ages of 14-16. Dr. Rigo explained that because I was a 16yr old boy and almost done growing, any lessening of the Cobb angle would be minimal (if any). What we could do is stop future curve progression and change my body shape to get rid of my uneven hip shift and decrease the rib hump, which I have done. Through the continued practice of Schroth exercises, I have learned to hold my body straight and built up specific muscles to keep straight and de-rotated.

The Schroth Method works best with adolescents because they are more flexable and still growing. They usually don't have arthritic changes and their muscles and fascia are more flexible than adults. Adults can also learn the Schroth Method, they just need to go at slower pace than adolescents. The Schroth Method also works to help manage back pain in both adolescents and adults with scoliosis.

The exercises are often combined with bracing, so its not like its some type of fringe treatment. Schroth has been around in Europe since the 1920's. Schroth exercises compliment the work a brace does and help build the right muscles so a patient can keep the corrected position even when out of the brace. Through the combination of my new Rigo/Cheneau Brace and Schroth exercises I was able to stop my curve from progressing further and my body shape has changed to eliminate my hip shift and reduce my rib hump to near nothing. The shape and symmetry of my back has improved so much that my scoliosis no longer shows up on a Scoliometer (device used to find scoliosis at school screenings). The best part for me of learning the exercises is that I learned to live with my scoliosis and take care of my back, rather than just waiting for the scoliosis to get worse.

There is so much to say about this technique, and for many people it can help keep them from surgery. It was definitely worthwhile for me and I continue to practice the exercises on a regular basis. If you want to find out more about the Schroth Method I can try to help you, but the best thing to do would be to go to www.scoliosisrehab.com There is a great deal of useful information on their site and their therapists are trained and certified by Dr. Rigo.
    Last edited by klein5; 03-03-2006, 11:49 PM. Reason: added paragraphing

Pretty neat! I am glad that this has worked for you. I will read the site and see what it is all about! Thanks for sharing your story. I think you wil find many good people on here willing to try just about anything to avoid surgery. I appreciate your sharing as it may help someone else.
    Katie- age 28
    Ironman Triathlete in Training
    Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
    Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
    With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

just a reminder

In my last post I didn't mention that Beth Janssen, who runs Scoliosis Rehab Inc, is my mother. I know that the Scroth method has really helped me with my scoliosis and I think it is important to let other people know about it also. Now there is a clinic in the US, so more people in the US will have the oportunity to learn the Scroth method without having to travel to Europe like I did. You're more than welcome to contact us through the website(www.scoliosisrehab.com) or post a reply on here.

Comment

I sent your rehab an e-mail over a week ago with a question and request for more information and never received a reply. With all due respect, I'm not very impressed.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Scoliosis treatment comes to US

Klein5, Would this work for people who have already had surgery? I didn't know if it would or not but doesn't hurt to ask. I know when I had my surgeries I did not get a complete correction and did not know if this would help with the hump on my back and un even hips. I had a 56 degree curvature in 2 places and now it is 20 something. Just asking. I live in Illinois and did not know where the closes place would be.
          Mattie

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
            I sent your rehab an e-mail over a week ago with a question and request for more information and never received a reply. With all due respect, I'm not very impressed.
            Hi Singer, I found a couple of emails from the website caught in the junkmail filter today, the oldest was from tuesday. These have been replied to now, I'm not sure if one was yours since I don't know what your email address is, but if we recieved an email from you you should now have a response. Also if you want to talk to a certified Scroth Therapist you can call Scoliosis Rehab, Inc toll free at (877.734.2220) between the hours of 8-4:30 CST.

Comment

Originally posted by mattie
              Klein5, Would this work for people who have already had surgery? I didn't know if it would or not but doesn't hurt to ask. I know when I had my surgeries I did not get a complete correction and did not know if this would help with the hump on my back and un even hips. I had a 56 degree curvature in 2 places and now it is 20 something. Just asking. I live in Illinois and did not know where the closes place would be.
              Mattie
              Hi Mattie, I know that some of the Schroth principles can be used with most people who are fully recovered from surgury, but I don't know about the specifics. I think the closest place for you would be Stevens Point, WI. You can call Scoliosis Rehab, Inc. (located in Stevens Point, WI) to talk to a Schroth certified Physical Therapist about your specific case. Their toll free number is, (877.734.2220), between the hours of 8-4:30 CST.

Comment

I am impressed and excited by your mother's intiative. I only recently found out about Schroth therapy this year while searching for current scoli treatments. While I am 5 years post op and unable to highly benefit from it myself, I am glad to know the U.S. finally has a site for others! I wish such a center would have existed for me. I hope the excitement grows and similar centers open throughout the country. The scientific research behind Schroth therapy is impressive, and I was surprised to see the therapy lacking here. I have even questioned a few of the spine docs I know, and they had not even heard of it! Hopefully the word will get out, and more people will benefit from Schroth therapy .
                ScoliMed is Katie
                22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
                Posterior fusion 1999
                Failed, lumbar curve to 70
                Posterior removal 2000
                Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
                Still in pain, tried almost everything!
                Currently in medical school

Comment

Hi Everyone

I am new as of today. I have read a few things before...I tend to get lost among the "threads" I guess I'll figure it out with practice. I have heard about the Scoliosis Rehab and have been e-mailing and talking on the phone with them. Everyone has been so nice and very helpful! I am going for treatment in a couple of weeks and hope to journal my experiences here. Would love to receive encouragement from you all and hopefully I will have a success story that will encourage you as well! Looking forward to our conversations!
                  Tellulah Belle

Comment

Klein5, do people with more severe curves than yours participate in this program? If you look at the pictures of the people on the website, clearly they do not have severe scoliosis.

Jamie

Comment

Hey Ian! It's Niki.. just thought I'd send you a message and tell you that I'm on here now too!!

Comment

Klein5,
                        Are you joking??? .......

I would sell my right arm to have a back like the example shown, pleeeese
                        SandyC

Comment

Originally posted by Tellulah Belle
                          I am new as of today. I have read a few things before...I tend to get lost among the "threads" I guess I'll figure it out with practice. I have heard about the Scoliosis Rehab and have been e-mailing and talking on the phone with them. Everyone has been so nice and very helpful! I am going for treatment in a couple of weeks and hope to journal my experiences here. Would love to receive encouragement from you all and hopefully I will have a success story that will encourage you as well! Looking forward to our conversations!
                          Tellulah Belle
                          I am also new (as of today) and am also following in your footsteps of "getting lost among the "threads"! Did you ever pursue treatment with scoliosis rehab? I wore a Milwaulkee brace for almost 4 yrs (13-17 y.o,with initial curve @ 32*) which led me to my current profession as a physical therapist. At last check, my curve was 42*, but I remain extremely active, with little to no pain. However, I can tell posturaly that my curve is progressing and I'm finally coming out of denial, intent on checking out alternative, non-surgical treatments. I have read about Schroth method and I'm anxious to hear any objective results. I did contact them directly, to request some more objective info, but follow thru was lacking.
                          I'd love to hear from anyone else who has undergone this form of therapy.
                          Alli4

Comment

The Schroth Method

The Schroth method sounds interesting. I will have to look into it.

Comment

Working...
                            X