Chiropratic Hope!! Had to Share!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropratic Hope!! Had to Share!!

This is a pretty surgery laden site, but I am posting under a "non-surgical" thread, so please only respond to my thread if you are considering chiropratic and want to know more about my surgery free story. I swore off this site a month ago after meeting some pretty nasty people here with horrendous things to say about chiropractors, but then a number of you emailed me in private and your stories warmed my heart and that is why I am back to share with YOU and only YOU that I had the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE TODAY! :

A week ago I flew to Minnesota from Denver to see Dr. Woggon...my new hero. In 1 very tough week of chiro care from him these are the results I achieved:

-42 thoracic is now 33
    -42 lumbar is now 31
    -401% increase range of motion
    -11 total degrees correction in neck resulting in a RESTORED cervical curve!
    -lung capacity went from 26 to 42! I now have the lung capacity of a man my age. I never knew I could breath like this! You can see the rib spaces on my xrays!
    -I grew 1/2 inch
    -my legs are balanced
    -my rib "bump" on my thoracic has been reduced in HALF! My scapula no longer sticks out like a wing.
    -Best of all...I feel like those folks in Nebraska who won the lottery...like a Million Dollars!

AND THAT IS JUST A WEEK! WOO HOO! Furthermore, to calm my fears about "what happens next" and "will this get even better" I met countless young ladies who shocked the heck out of me! Their curves were UNDER 10 degrees...which is not even considered scoliosis anymore! I saw pictures, xrays, stories from moms and dads about how well their kids are doing now. My Mom and I cried tears of joy for this great "jump start." The greatest thing about Doc Woggon is he knew all along...even when I had fears and doubts. He just gave me that sweet smile of his and said "I told you there was hope for you kiddo!"

I have plenty more work ahead of me (31 degrees of work!) and plan on creating my own blog. My Mom asked my what my goal number was I said "zero! I am going all the way!" If I can do that, I figure it will give non-surgical hope and change lives. Someday we will live in a world free of this. I won't stop until I get there.

Feel free to email me anytime: katie_oconnell77@yahoo.com
    Also if you are interested in how chiro CAN help scoliosis visit www.clear-institute.com PLEASE get a referral from them for a local chiro if you wish to consider this. Sadly few chiros can correct scoliosis as of yet. These techniques are difficult and have taken years of research by a select few willing to tackle it. If you go to one who can't do this you will end of frustrated and lighter in the wallet. Just like you wouldn't select a surgeon by pointing at the yellow pages don't select a chiro that way either. Best of luck to you all!
    Katie- age 28
    Ironman Triathlete in Training
    Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
    Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
    With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

That's good for you, maybe perhaps you should post some before and after pictures of your back, including x-rays.

Comment

I would be interested in knowing what your correction is 6 months and 1 year AFTER your "treatment" x-rays to prove it.
      SandyC

Comment

Oh I promise it! That is why he actually requested that I start a blog. This form of treatment has been effective...so far. But it is still considered experimental. I am "living" research. Historically chiropratic has not been able to correct curves much over 20 degrees. My boyfriend has received great results under 20 degrees for years, but the mechanics of a curve like that are way different than what most of us are dealing with. He has not been able to touch curves like mine. Regardless I find this full of promise. Historically bracing has done little more than stabilize a curve, all the while weakening then surrounding muscles. Surgery has lead to complications, pain, scar tissue and still has yet to effectively eliminate scoliosis. One of Dr. Woggon's studies said that all professions need to work together setting preconceived notions and ego aside. If ANY treatment was 100% effective...then there would be no scoliosis! Until that day he feels there is not a single person who can call themselves spinal experts. This disease continues to humble him regardless of any results achieved.

I will keep you posted and see if I can get my xrays online! I have them here, and I think my boyfriend knows how to do it. Can't wait to share! Have a wonderful day.
        Katie- age 28
        Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
        Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
        With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Hi,

I came across this abstract the other day and I had to share

J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;24(6):385-93. Related Articles, Links

Effect of chiropractic intervention on small scoliotic curves in younger subjects: a time-series cohort design.

Lantz CA, Chen J.

Life University, Marietta, GA, USA.

BACKGROUND: Chiropractors have long claimed to affect scoliotic curves, and case studies abound reporting on successful outcomes. No clinical trials exist, however, that evaluate chiropractic's effectiveness in the management of scoliotic curves. OBJECTIVE: To assess the effectiveness of chiropractic intervention in the management of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in curves less than 20 degrees. DESIGN: Cohort time-series trial with all subjects electing chiropractic care. Entry-level Cobb angle was compared with postmanagement curve. METHODS: Forty-two subjects completed the program of chiropractic intervention. Age range at entry was 6 to 12 years, and patients were included if their entry-level x-ray films revealed curves of 6 degrees to 20 degrees. Participants had adjustments performed for 1 year before follow-up. Full-spine osseous adjustments were the major form of intervention, but heel lifts and postural and lifestyle counseling were used as well. RESULTS: There was no discernable effect on the severity of the curves as a function of age, initial curve severity, frequency of care, or attending physician. CONCLUSION: Full-spine chiropractic adjustments with heel lifts and postural and lifestyle counseling are not effective in reducing the severity of scoliotic curves.

PMID: 11514815 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hi Celia! Thanks for sharing this study! It is a tad outdated though. 2001. Many new studys have been conducted since then. No one uses "heel lifts" anymore...as it is obvious to chiros that the balacing of the legs cannot be achieved through heel lifts but rather through the correction of the C0 C1 flexion mal-position. Our legs are actually better controlled through our upper cervical...weird huh? With this my boyfriend has seen awesome results in 20 degree and lower curves.

Here is a more recent study, that even confirms that the protocols in the study you posted were ineffective. www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/5/32
            I think you will find it hopeful. It confirms that while not proven yet, this has enough of the good stuff to keep pursuing.
            Katie- age 28

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey...
              I think it's great to read different approaches, and hear what other
              people are trying..
              Thanks again.
              very interested.
              Kristy

Comment

Originally posted by denverbackchic
                Here is a more recent study, that even confirms that the protocols in the study you posted were ineffective. www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/5/32
                I think you will find it hopeful. It confirms that while not proven yet, this has enough of the good stuff to keep pursuing.
                Be sure to read the comments in response to the study mentioned above:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/5/32/comments
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Absolutely Linda! This is experimental and everyone has a right to question.. I say bring it on. The more questions the better...once we stop asking we get dumb right? So great point Linda. Keep it coming. I always find the best proof is in the people who experience it. My friend Leah went from 30 to 5 with this treatment and has been there for a year. She is one of many. I enjoy the scrutiny of this b/c I feel like a pioneer on the brink of something amazing! I sit back and laugh at doubters b/c I feel like a million dollars, look better than I ever have, and continue to race in competitive triathlon. Something I was "never supposed to do"...and I am certain we can find a study to say that I should not run, bike, anything.

When Gallileo, Copernicus, Curie and Einstein first came forwrd people thought they were insane, un-religious, social out casts! But where would we be today without their work? What would we do if they sat back and said "yeah, you are right. That is impossible." We honor those people now b/c they are seen as geniuses...but they certainly were not seen that way by people of their time. People like Dr. Woggon don't have the word impossible in their vocab. I love doubt and question, b/c it is the only reason people seek to perform. It makes it sweeter when we succeed. I think if we can put man on the moon we should be able to correct scoliosis without invasion. Time will answer that for us all. Thanks for bringing that up Linda.
                  Katie- age 28

Comment

Denverbackchic,

Thanks for the link to the article. It was very interesting ! I wasn't aware that chiropractic had evolved so much within the last 4 years that such grandiose claims of correcting scoliotic curves within 6 short weeks could be made. What concerns me about the "study" are the number of x-rays participants were exposed to ! At the beginning of the study, patients had to submit to "standing" full spine x-rays - yet no mention is made whether the final x-ray is standing or laying down ? It does make a BIG difference, as you can see from the following abstract:

1: J Pediatr Orthop. 2001 Mar-Apr;21(2):252-6. Related Articles, Links

Measurement of vertebral rotation in standing versus supine position in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.

Yazici M, Acaroglu ER, Alanay A, Deviren V, Cila A, Surat A.

Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey. muharrem.yazici@isbank.net.tr

Thirty-three structural curves of 25 patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis were evaluated using computed tomography (CT) scans and plain radiography. The average Cobb angle on standing radiographs was 55.72 degrees and was observed to be corrected spontaneously to 39.42 degrees while the patients were in supine position (29.78% correction). Average apical rotation according to Perdriolle was 22.75 degrees on standing radiographs and 16.78 degrees on supine scanograms. The average rotation according to Aaro and Dahlborn on CT scans was 16.48 degrees. Radiographic measurements were significantly different from axial CT slice or scanogram measurements (p = 0.000), but the two latter measurements, both obtained in the supine position, did not appear to be different (p = 0.495). Deformities on the transverse plane as well as on the coronal plane are influenced by patient positioning. If the patient lies supine, the scoliosis curve corrects spontaneously to some degree on both planes. Measurements obtained from the scanograms by the Perdriolle method in the supine position are very similar to those obtained by CT. Perdriolle's is a simple, convenient, and reliable method to measure rotation on standing radiograms.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hey I'm curious,

What was the unit of measurement for the lung volume? I've never seen that range of number being used.
                      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                      2005 - T50, L31
                      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

You are right Celia. There are a LOT of xrays. I had about 10 last week...but will not need another for 6 months. I don't like it. It is one downside, however the xray machines MDs and Chiros use today are safer than ever. About 1 rad I believe? Don't quote me! I, on the other hand had my appendix removed in Nov. and had 2 CT Scans which the doc told me were about 20,000 rads each...eek I glow! I hope he was exaggerating!

Anyways, I look at it as the price I pay without having surgery. That is the only way to look inside me. I have made them into wall decorations. hee hee saves me money cuz I am moving into my first home!
                        The coolest thing is the stuff that I can see on the outside! My rib bump is in half! (Dr. Woggon won't allow me to call it hump b/c he says girls don't like being told they are hump backed...he is right!) I have polaroids...which I wish I could post today! I will try to get to kinkos tomorrow to scan them. Then I can post them. That is what made my mom cry. I showed her what I looked like in just my bra. She about lost it. She says I look brand new! I think I am happier for her than for me! As anyone reading this knows scoliosis is as hard on the moms and dads.

Tell me your story Celia? What do you do for fun? What have you tried that has worked, not worked? It would be funny if we all told our craziest scoliosis story. One day when I was 15 my parents had friends come over to visit. I wore a brace at the time. My sister and I made up a devious plan...in front of them we pretended to fight. She "pretend" knocked me over and proceeded to jump feet first ...full body weight right on top of me! Up and down. I screamed loud!! You should have seen their faces when we said ha ha! Just kidding she has a brace!!
                        Katie- age 28

Comment

a sporometer (sp?)? I am not the tech genius here...it was similar to the one they used on me when I was in the hospial post op for appendectomy. they did three readings before and three after. I think the open lungs are my favorite part...and the most noticable for me! I am training hard this week and can't wait to time my 100 meter swim. I will freak out with joy if I am faster!
                          Katie- age 28

Comment

Originally posted by denverbackchic
                            Tell me your story Celia? What do you do for fun? What have you tried that has worked, not worked? It would be funny if we all told our craziest scoliosis story.

Let's see...... I graduated from University and decided I'd rather stay home and raise my kids. I didn't like the idea of someone else doing it for me. I exercise everyday, jog etc. I have to say, things are a lot better now than they were three years ago. I've grown in so many ways and I don't think I'll ever be the same person I was before this scoliosis journey started. I really believe there is power in numbers and by sharing ideas we can get closer to the "truth". Believe it or not.... I can't think of ONE crazy scoliosis story

Canadian eh

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                              Be sure to read the comments in response to the study mentioned above:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/5/32/comments
                              Check the references for the afore-mentioned quote regarding the progression of 7.03 degrees/year in Cobb angles:

Given that the average curvature progression in idiopathic scoliosis is 7.03° per year [38]

38. Chuah SL, Kareem BA, Selvakumar K, Oh KS, Borhan Tan A, Harwant S: The natural history of scoliosis: curve progression of untreated curves of different aetiology, with early (mean 2 year) follow up in surgically treated curves.
                              Med J Malaysia 2001, 56(Suppl C):37-40. [PubMed Abstract]

Medical Journal of Malaysia? I can't find a journal impact factor for it. The IF for the journal that this article is published in is 1.00, which is not great, but may reflect the research field and audience more than anything else. I wouldn't really give reference #38 much thought, it may not be very well done.
                              28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Working...
                              X