Girly question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girly question.

Ok, I just read something in one of the adolescent forums, 17 yr old girl, having surgery, what to take with her, and it said kotex (pads) not tampons.

Can we not use tampons if that is what we prefer? Am I going to have to wear pads?

I hate them. Never ever liked them since day one of getting my periods and as soon as I discovered tampax, they have been my best friend.

Please tell me we can use what we like best. To be honest, I have never had good success with pads. I have always leaked and ruined many panties. Maybe it's cuz of how curved my body is but never, no matter the brand, leaks.

See? It's this kind of silly not a big deal stuff that I think about.
    Yes, the nurses are probably going to hate me...lmao
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

I think the reason for the pads and not tampons is practical. Try putting a tampon in without bending your back. It is hard enough just to go to the bathroom. Not trying to be negative here, but it probably is NOT practical to use a tampon.

Comment

Its also from a safety point of view, and also from a practical point of view. You period may start, before surgery, during surgery, just after surgery, or a few days after surgery. Straight after surgery you are completely relient on a nurse, which means they'd have to 'insert' the tampon for you, which makes pads safer and more 'realistic'. Also they do not have to worry about the risk of TSS etc or anything else happening/going wrong etc.

They will (if your period starts), have you using pads. For the first bit in hospital (whilst you are still flat on your back)...you will be pretty groggy anyway, and won't even notice/it won't worry you. Take some pads with you...otherwise all they have in the hospital are the maternity sized ones (the ones you get after giving birth) and that's what you'll end up with

regards

Alison
      Last edited by Alison; 01-22-2006, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Dammit. Time to dig out all the granny/period panties then.
        I'm hoping I get it before I go in.
        Thanks. *sigh*
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Kat...

I actually scheduled my surgery around my period so I wouldn't have to deal with it. Unfortunately, my period started again about a day out of surgery, which is VERY common.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kat,

I had my period when I went in. After surgery it was gone and I didn't have a period for about 2 months...finally went to gyno to get pills to start it back up. I guess I was the exception to the rule.

I was fused from T-9 to L-5...It was difficult to use tampons but I did...I found it to be no more difficult than it was to wipe my behind.

Kindest Regards,
            Gail

Comment

Thanks gals. I don't mean to be such a weirdo about suff and I'm sure it's coming across that way...lol

My cycles have not been normal for years now. I never know when I'm going to get it.
              Last month, started on the first, the month before that, didn't have one, the month before that, started on the 15th so yeah, these weird kind of things pop into my head.
              I'm sure it will show up the morning I go in because that is the kind of luck I have.
              I'll just use pads while there and like you said Gail, no more difficult than trying to wipe your butt, so I'm sure I'll manage it somehow.

Thanks for answering all my weird questions. This is my first major surgery ever really. The other stuff I've had was all minor, in and out the next day, so I'm nervous and questioning all kinds of things.
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

Comment

Kat,
                My period started sometime on day 3 or 4 after my surgery (right on schedule...as usual). I was kept pretty out of it for the first 4 days and kept in bed for the first 6. I had to rely on the nurses to deal with it for me. Like Alison said, it's just more practical for nurses to use pads. I hate pads too, but there were so many other things going on with my body that my period was the least of my worries.

Don't worry about asking all kinds of questions Kat. We're all here for each other and those of us that have been through this had the same questions you have now and are more than happy to answer them for you.
                Last edited by HGD24; 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I figure by me asking all these silly questions openly no matter how personal or vain or what have you, the answers will be here for future patients to find and they won't have to ask them.
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

Comment

Working...
                  X