Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• researching revision surgery

Hi,
    I had a Harrington Rod Fusion at Bostons Children's Hospital in 1972 and 1974 ( due to pseudoarthrosis). My physician was Edward J. Riseborough who was a pioneer of the Harrington Rod Fusion at that time.
    I am now researching revision surgery and considering having surgery in the spring. My fusion is T4 to L3 and would be extended.
    Of course I am very anxious about making the right decison for me.
    I would be very interested in hearing from daddy's girl and what her status is. If I read correctly she was going to have surgery this month. I would love an update from her and any other input from others.
    Thanks!
    Turtle

I had revision surgery in September due to a fractured Harrington rod from 1986, increasing pain and increasing kyphosis. I was fused T2 to the sacrum this time (T7 to L3 last time). The first three weeks of recovery were hard but now I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and my back is SO STRAIGHT! I actually have a waist now. It is a tough decision but at my age (49) I couldn't see letting it get worse. I am glad I didi it, but only you will know if it is right for you.

Comment

Judy,
      Thanks for the info..... I am glad that you are feeling better and have had such positive results with your straight back. I would love those results!
      I am 51 and when I hear the positive it really encourages me to go through with the surgery. I am also a realist and know I should not get my hopes up too high, though my doctor feels he could get good correction. This sight is a great resource. Thanks!
      MA

Comment

revision surgery

I had my revision @ age 60. Would recommend not waiting that long but I did get my life back.
        Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Turtle,

It is a huge decision...but I am very pleased with my progress at 9 months post op. Originally I was fused T4-L4 ...now all the way to sacrum.

The surgery is huge...and the recovery is long but there is certainly reason to hope for better days. You are wise to research all you options.

I have posted all my monthly updates post revision at this site:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/

Just go to the files and you will see it as "Cam's updates". Other member stories are worth reading through as well. (you may have to join to read the files)

I am in Massachusetts and had revision at NEBH with Dr Rand.

Good luck in your quest! Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,
            Many thanks for your reply! My MD is also Frank Rand at NEBH. I am anxious to read your updates. I have been pondering this decision seriously since May (Dr. Rand actually suggested the surgery 4 years ago...but I sort of poo pooed the idea thinking I was too old!) and now I am ready to move forward with the surgery.

Comment

Turtle,

I was 48 and change when I had the surgery...you are still a kid too! If you have been mulling for 4 years you have had plenty of time to think it over (and research). If you need any other info please feel free to ask. Cam

Comment

Working...
              X