Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ciropractic

lucida console pink

I have a 42 degree curve in my spine and in 5 months it increased 9 degrees I have a TLSO brace and they are talking about surgery. My parents are making me go to this ciropractor who thinks he can fix the problem. I don't want to go to him because my orthopedic surgeon said its a waste of time. I was also wondering about the surgery. So if you have any experince I need help on convincing my parents not to send me there anymore. Thanks and if you have any info from the surgery like the pain and stuff please let me know also let me know if can do what you normally do if you didn't have rods in your back

scoliosiscutie-I agree with your ortho. We wasted precious time trying to believe that the chiro could fix our daughter. All he could do was relieve some pain, but it didn't correct the problem. The best day in her life was to walk into his office and show him what he wasn't able to fix, was finally fixed with surgery. Maybe you could get your mom to get on the forum and ask questions she may have. There are lots of parents and kids that would share with her.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Thnak you! I'm getting my mom on here right away! Then when she sees how chiropractic is a waste of time she will be like I'm such a dummy why am I sendeing her there? My dad doesn't want me to go because he's been in the forum before. He also wants me to go 3 times a week which is hard between school sports and my social life. Our insurence also only covers 26 visits and that's only 2 months. Now I'll use them all up and then I'll like hurt my neck and I won't be able to go!! So yeah my mom is getting on here!

Comment

chiropractic

If you are going to try chiropractic it should be upper cervical precision chiropractic and not regular chiropractic. This is accurate and gentle chiropractic as opposed to random manipulation. Many cases of scoliosis (including idiopathic) have been shown to respond to correction of misalignments of C1 to skull. One technique uses sound waves to move C1 back into place. The position of the skull atop the cervical spine drives the position of the pelvis underneath the skull. Respositioning C1 can result in pelvic realignment. See Kirk Eriksen's book. Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: A Review of Chiropractic and Medical Literature by Kirk Eriksen; Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ©2004. Especially the before and after x-rays of scoliosis correction. and also check outwww.upcspine.com for further information.

Also refer to: A Look at Chiropractic Spinal Correction by I.N. Toftness, D.C., Ph.C.; Publisher: I.N. Toftness ©1977. At www.toftness.org and a book by F.H. Barge, Idiopathic Scoliosis, Vol III, 1996.

Orthopedic surgeons who warn you off chiropractic display a lack of knowledge of chiropractic.
        Last edited by Atlas01; 01-13-2006, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Our orthopedic surgeon isn't the one what told to quit Chiro. We quit on our own because we had spent way to much money with no results over a very long period of time. We even got a new Chiro. The new Chiro told us that no, they can't fix it in any way that is permanent, they can only relieve the pain from everything being out. When a patient has scoli, they tend to have problems with keeping other parts in place because their back isn't normal. So, don't ridicule ortho surgeon's. We made our own decisions, based on our results. My daughter was in chronic pain, even going to the chiro every other day for over 1 1/2 years. Since her surgery 10 months ago, she has had very little pain with her back. She hasn't even required any further Chiro manipulations because her body is in alignment now and things stay in place like they are supposed to. She noticed immediate improvement after surgery. For the record, surgery is usually a last result considered by any ortho surgeon, because it is a major surgery. I am not saying that I have no use for Chiro's, as we really like our new one. I just took my middle daughter to him for a sports injury. She was in to see him everyday for two weeks and is doing great. So, I feel they are good to use for the proper things, but scoli isn't one of them.
          Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas01
            Many cases of scoliosis (including idiopathic) have been shown to respond to correction of misalignments of C1 to skull. One technique uses sound waves to move C1 back into place. .
            "many cases"?? how many????

"shown"?? shown how?? x-rays? polaroids? (which our chiropracter used.)

"Respond"?? as in permanent correction with longterm follow up??

"sound waves" ?? low frequency?? high frequency?? loud sounds or soft ones?? bach or beatles??

Comment

there is no documented evidence that chiro has actually helped with the correction of scoli. I went to a chiro before my surgery who believed that he could "fix" my curves and it only made my spine worse. I didnt see him long enough for the curves to progress, only for the pain to increase about 10x's of what it was. After my surgery I have found a new ortho to manipulate my cervical vertebrae (including C1) and to help with low back pain below the fusion. It really helps with any inflammation that I have as well as pain. My chiro now does not claim that he can fix or correct curvature, just help to slow (not stop or prevent further) progression and alleviate pain. It REALLY helps me.
              Mandy

Comment

slow curve progression???????

[. My chiro now does not claim that he can fix or correct curvature, just help to slow (not stop or prevent further) progression and alleviate pain. It REALLY helps me.
                Mandy[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely now proof or documented evidence that chiro does even that. By giving a person this false sense of security It CAN hurt by delaying bracing while a curve is still small enough to be effective.

Karen
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

not ordinary chiro. upper cervical chiro.

Comment

Neck chiro is same as upper cervical!!!!

Originally Posted by Atlas01
                    Try upper cervical chiropractic not regular chiropractic.

Here is an opinion by the Canadian Pediatric Society cautioning about chiro treatment in kids-INCLUDING UPPER CERVICAL-(and adult cases). Do you want this risk of stroke?

http://www.cps.ca/english/statement...%20chiropractic
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you so much for replys I've been very busy lately...I think my chiro is a little bit crazy because he thinks that he can cure anything like get kids that have ADD or ADHD off their medicine? I think that is a bit odd. He also gave me these supplements for when I was sick to build my immune system back up! And I also tore my acchilles tendon and he gave me a patch that would make it heal faster? I don't know if it really works but it just sounds a little cheesey to me. My back has also been poping uncontrolably since I've been going to him! Should I be worried or bring this up to him?

Thanks,
                      Paige

Comment

Chiropractic

Its predictable that those who have a bent against chiropractic would bring up the propaganda associated with strokes. Here is chiropractic's response to that http://www.worldchiropracticalliance...ons/stroke.htm.

The fact is that many of the papers which state "Chiropractic manipulation" the manipulation was not performed by chiropractors at all.

I think that chiropractic's distractors should clean up their own act http://deathbymodernmedicine.com/ ; http://www.mercola.com/2003/nov/26/d...y_medicine.htm. Mistakes made by modern medicine outweigh those by other professions.

The purpose for me posting information about UPPER CERVICAL CHIROPRACTIC was to raise the very real possibility that this could be an option. Since the 1930s chiropractors (upper cervical) have been reversing some scoliotic curves. The books I listed in my previous postings show the evidence.

I'd loved to see more research and in fact am in the process of raising funding for such research. For me its been proven time and time again. I'm an engineer and scientist and the facts will speak for themselves. As for ADHD/ADD ; read the work by Heiner Biedermann (MD), regarding ADD/ADHD reversal and craniocervical syndrome (upper cervical syndrome).

If the choice is between a sound wave '(instrument delivered) behind the ear or a brace or surgical rods then I'd prefer to look at the conservative approach first. This does not mean delaying having a brace should that be required. Under the management of one's doctor I dare say that upper cervical should be given a go. The sad thing is that most doctors (not all) would not involve a chiropractor. Those that have end up recommending it even though their training says otherwise.

The xrays in the books above are not polaroids. They are high precision laser aligned xrays carried out by fully qualified professionals. The before and afters shots are compelling showing changes (in some cases dramatic) in COBB angle.

To discount this form of chiropractic based upon the hysteria and propaganda around a certain profession if not professional.

ALL options should be thoroughly investigated not only those that suit a certain profession.

If you don;t want to look at it, that's your choice - but dont try to convince me that modern medicine has all the answers, becaus they don't and they don't cure much. $billions spent of disease research over the decades - no cures yet. Time to look elsewhere.

Good luck ......

Comment

I saw a chiro for about a year. he kept assuring me he could help me with my pain levels and actually align me.
                          It did NOT work. I ended up in twice as much pain and was constantly throwing my back out with days of being adjusted.

Personally, I do not recommend it.
                          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                          Curve post op = 20 degrees
                          No pain anymore!!
                          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas01
                            If you don;t want to look at it, that's your choice - but dont try to convince me that modern medicine has all the answers, becaus they don't and they don't cure much. $billions spent of disease research over the decades - no cures yet. Time to look elsewhere.
                            At least traditional physicians publish their work in peer reviewed journals. There has never been a single case of structural scoliosis curves reduced to any extent by chiropractic manipulation. If and when there's proof, I'm sure we'll all be more than willing to jump on board.
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Atlas01,
                              I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind. I think everyone is just telling you their experience with no success and for you to walk carefully and don't actually depend on this treatment, as it may not work. People on these boards don't want you upset and disappointed if it doesn't work. We aren't against Chiropractors in our house. We use them a lot. When you have a houseful of athletes and want them in top condition all the time, you use them. We recently took our middle daughter to the chiro for two weeks for a neck misalignment. She was injured in a basketball tournament. She has scoli, mild, and doesn't have any issues with it. However, she injured her neck, shoulder muscles, dislocated three ribs and tore the cartlege loose from her ribs in the front. It took him two weeks, everyday, to get her put back into top playing form, where with those injuries if I would of taken her to an MD they would of just given her codiene and sent her home to bed. And, she'd still be in pain today. However, we don't use the chiro for any scoliosis treatment. He was completely honest with us and told us that they can treat the pain by realigning as much as they can, but it would never stay permanently. Our oldest daughter was using a chiro that said he could help her scoliosis and kyphosis. All he did was releaved a little pain and nothing more, she went to him three days a week and he made special appointments for her before and after basketball games. She ended up with surgery last March and will tell you it is the best treatment she has ever had.

Don't get upset when people here give you their opinion, as a lot of us have been there done that and hate to see other people experience what we may have experienced.

Nikki

Comment

Working...
                              X