Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SpineCor

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and have already e-mailed some of you. Thanks for your insights. Our daughter Madeline was diagnosed with scoliosis high in her thoracic region. She has a curve of 24 degrees. We are going to be seeing Dr. Rivard in Montreal on Dec. 11 for our first visit. If you have any tips or adivice on what I should expect or ask that would be great.

Sincerley,

Sarah

Comment

• Sarah,

Our appt is on Wed, the 12th.

they will probably try the spinecor on her and then do an x-ray to see if her curve goes down a significant amount. Then if you agree that you want the spinecor they will explain how to put it on.

Brush up on your French. Good luck. Too bad we will miss you by one day.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Good luck Sarah! I also wanted to wish Pat all the best this week and of course, you too Melissa - I know it's an important visit for Nicole.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Thanks Celia, I'm anxious to see what they say about "replacement parts." It's been over a year, and it looks pretty worn, but I just asked her yesterday, and she says it feels just as tight as ever. She looks good (her back.) And she's grown some, I think. pat

Comment

• In Brace Correction

Melissa, I can't believe we will miss you by just one day. I hope your appointment goes well. What would be a significant amount of correction in the brace to make it worth pursuing? Will they let me know if they feel it is not significant enough?

Thanks again for the responses.

Sincerley,

Sarah

Comment

• Sarah,

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. It is on Wed, the 13th. We are leaving on the 12th. It's funny because I just got a call from St. Justine, confirming my appointment. I am not sure what would be considered as a good correction. Nicole had a 16 degree correction initially and now has a 10 degree correction on each curve. The doctors were happy with that.

They will tell you if they don't think the spinecor is right for your daughter. I'm not sure if I know any of your information. Your name is not familiar to me. Where do you live and how old is your daughter?

Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• We live in WI and Madelnie is 8.

Sarah

Comment

• It is so much more economical to stay in New York outside of the border than to stay in the heart of Montreal. I just booked our room and it is less than half the price. Of course, in Montreal we were staying at a Residence Inn and basically had an apartment. But what a waste for only 3 of us.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• Hi Sara

My name is Chris my daughter is 6. We have been to montreal 2 times and have stayed in Plattsberg NY There is a hotel (Days Inn I think) It is not a 5 star but is kid freindly. They have a indoor pool with water slide and a small arcade. There is also a resteraunt that is priced well with decent food.

Both times we drove 6 hours to stay in Plattsberg overnight then crossed the border to go to our apptointment. Then drove straight home after. We did visit the parc safari zoo once and had a great time there.

Good luck on your trip

Christine
                    from CT, USA
                    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Christine,

That is where we are staying. I heard it is the nicest one in Plattsburgh. Sarah isn't looking for a place to stay in N.Y. because she is flying in to Montreal. At least that's what I thought.
                      Was there a long line to get across the border in the morning?

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• This time we are flying into Montreal. I will definitely look into other options if we end up going back. Thanks for the lodging tips.

Sarah

Comment

• Melissa

No the line was longer coming back in. FYI to everyone I understand that we will be needing passports as of Jan 2007 by air.

Chris

That spam is bad!!!!
                          from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Speaking of Passports...........
                            Rachel and I applies for ours a couple of weeks ago. It was very simple.
                            Find out which branch of your post office handles this and go there. Take your driver's liscense and a certified copy of your birth certificate.
                            Our post office made our photos on site. Many passport photos made at other places are too small or of an inferior quality. Both parents have to be present and sign for a minor child.
                            In the south it takes up to 10 weeks because ours are, or used to be, processed in New Orleans.
                            I'll bet for most places the wait is 6 weeks, but you can expedite for a 2 week delivery!
                            Last edited by cherylplinder; 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM.
                            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• making an appointment in Canada

May I ask how to make an appointment in Canada? Is there a website that I should go to or does it have to be done on the phone? I do not speak French...

Comment

• Hi Katya

Go to www.spinecorportation.com and click on Canada. You will find the # for Dr Rivard and Dr Colliard. They do speak English, You do have to listen carefully. I do recall at one point Dr Rivard mentioning that the Spinecor is less successfull if it is after trying a rigid brace but your daughter is so young and you really have not used it that long that it may not be a problem.

Good luck

Christine
                                from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012