spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clogger...

I don't think your doctor has any way of really knowing that, because as far as I Know, there has been no research of any exercise program in conjunction with the Spinecor brace.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

We got an official spinecor corporation physiotherapy programme suitable for my daughters type(right thoracic III), when she was fitted with the brace. Also, like clogger said our orthotist( who was trained in canada by spinecor) and physiotherapist said that these exercises are cruicial to the braces' success.Ofcourse the end result remains unknown....we are just trying to do the best we can.

Back to Melissas comment about the philosophy and staying active. I think we were all told that spinecor is not for kids who sit infront of the tv all day.....At least this is the first think I was told when I inquired for spinecor.They have to stay active with any sport they have been practising(well, no extreme sports!!) AND do the specific exercises.
      Clogger, do u do other sports as well or dance?

I am slowly helping my daugher with some simple yoga poses for streching and relaxation. She enjoys it and it suits her personality too. But ofcourse she has got her moments when she'd rather do something else....

Comment

I´m a spanish mum, and my 14 years old daughter has a spinecor brace since december. The doctor didn´t tell us nothing about special exercises. He only tells her to play all the sports she likes; football, basketball,¨...with the brace.
        I saw several weeks ago, in the spinecorporation web, that there is a program of exercises, that childs with this brace should do. I ask myself, why our doctor has never told us.
        2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
        Treatment: Cheneau brace
        2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Hi Ailea,

I don't think the exercises are crucial to the Spinecor brace, otherwise Dr. Rivard and Coillard would have said something. I think by virtue of wearing the brace and being active 'in' the brace, that it's contributing to the corrective movement and neurological imprinting. Oh, it's sooooo great having another mom from a different country joining the discussion

celia

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hola Ailea!
            You didn't say what is your daughters' curve, I am wondering if it has anything to do with the prescribed exercises. But if I were you I would ask the doctor /orthotist who fitted your daughter with the spinecor. It seems like you are not the only one who didn't get the exercises.
            ( I am just curious what part of Spain you are writing from, I lived in Gijón for 3 years and 6 months in Huelva....)

Comment

Hello cyprusmon and Celia!

My daughter´s curves were 35º L. and 18º D. in September of 2004, Before treatment. In August of this year, she was 24º L. and 22º D..
              The fact, it´s that I´m not sure about wich brace has done this little correction, because for several months she has been using a Cheneau brace. This is a brace that it´s used in some countryes of Europe; Spain, Germany, France...and has great results, not only stopping curves, also improving them.
              The in-brace curves with this one are 14º and 16º
              I´m interesting in exercises for scoliosis with or without brace, because my daughter doesn´t do any sports "in" the brace, and when she has try, she says she can´t move properly and gets hot ( and ungry).
              It´s great to share this with someone who knows and understand your feelings.
              Cyprusmom: I live in a little city in the north of Spain (Soria), quite far from Huelva or Gijón where you lived.

Comment

Originally posted by AILEA
                Hello cyprusmon and Celia!

for several months she has been using a Cheneau brace. This is a brace that it´s used in some countryes of Europe; Spain, Germany, France...and has great results, not only stopping curves, also improving them.
                The in-brace curves with this one are 14º and 16º
                why did you change??

Comment

Gerbo,

I can't answer for Ailea, but if you asked me .....I would say: sure the Cheneau brace has had good results combined with the Schroth therapy - which is what Dr. Manuel Rigo in Spain prescribes. HOWEVER, the Cheneau brace is EXTEMELY bulky and shows through clothes. If you're a teenager, I don't think that will be a great sell point.

By the way how is everyone doing with the Spinecor ? I find that covering the plastic pelvic section with moleskin really reduces the amount of chafing around the legs. Gerbo, when is your appointment with Mr. Mills ? I expect a thorough report after the fitting

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

thanks celia, for helping me to deal with my insecurities (I had looked at the cheneau brace as well, they are very keen on that one in germany)

appointment 16/12, you'll know all about it after

Comment

• Celia answered exactly, what make us change to spinecor. The Cheneau is so bulky that my daughter never went out with it on.
                      Another point, is that I think that muscles must work, and the body must "learn" to get a great posture, in the day by day.

Comment

• thank you for answering as well, no way would my fashion conscious daughter accept a bulky brace, so glad to know that that isn't really an option.

ps, i do wonder whether the best combination would be to have a highly correcting (or overcorrecting ) hard brace at night (to stretch the ligaments a bit) and a spinecor in the daytime (to work the muscles) Would that make sense???

Comment

• Gerbo, I totally agree with you. I have been thinking about that option for months. In fact, I asked our ortho, and he answered that my daughter´s curves were too big. Perhaps he didn´t understand me, and he thought i was talking about only wearing a night-timebrace.
                          In the other hand, two braces means double radiation, and this is something that worries me.
                          I have seen in spinekids a girl who has a boston and a night-time brace, so perhaps it´s not a bad idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel

By the way how is everyone doing with the Spinecor ? I find that covering the plastic pelvic section with moleskin really reduces the amount of chafing around the legs. Gerbo, when is your appointment with Mr. Mills ? I expect a thorough report after the fitting
                            Celia, did you cover the thigh straps with moleskin as well? It's such a great idea because my daughter insists on wearing bike shorts under or she gets pinched by the thigh straps.And that makes the bathroom visits a bit more complicated and timely... I wonder if she puts them too tight some times but she says thats how she was told...
                            Other than that she has one band, number 4, that turned out to be faulty and kept coming off the snap. It was immediately replaced but today number 2 came off while doing PE I wonder if it happened to anyone else?

Ailea, I imagine your daughter is relieved by the change from the chenaeu to the spinecor! I hope her correction continues. It is so true about the hard braces and how diffiult it is to hide it, although I heard of many-many kids that just get used to it. Our orthopedic said that this is where the spinecor has more success: The kids will wear it for the prescribed hours.
                            I just hope my daughters' curve proves positive reaction in it when we go for our first follow up in 3 weeks....I am very nervous cause her in-brace correction is only 5 degrees.

Comment

• Moleskin

Hi Ladies,
                              Where do you get moleskin? From a store that sells crafts and materials? CyprusMom, No we have not had any trouble with snaps coming off. I'm sorry you are experiencing that. Nothing new here as far as scoli is concerned. It is Thanksgiving on Thurs so the kids are off from school until next Monday. Take Care, Melissa
                              Melissa
                              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• moleskin

Hello!
                                We bought the moleskin, but we also saw right next to it in the same grocery store aisle, fluffy sheepfur like stuff (sorry threw out the package don't know it's official name!), but she's been using that. Every now and then her hip still bothers her there, she's a real thin kid. But it seems to be getting better. Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X